Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Farepak response fund due to shut tonight 18:00 29/11/06

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote:
    But the money for both food and presents has gone. No - they won't starve ... Lidls are doing a can of baked beans for 13p, don't you know?
    Hang on a sec. You were saying that the majority were saving for hampers and not presents. Which is it?
    I'm not quite sure why you think Teagan is an expert. You should feel free to look at the funds website for more details.
    sophia wrote:
    I agree with you Teagan that it is important to consider others as well as ourselves. And while it is very sad for those families who lost a lot of money withthe collapse of farepak, I can't help feeling there are more worthwhile causes to donate your spare cash to this Christmas. There are plenty of people in this country who won't even have a roof over their heads this Christmas, there are people all over the world without enough food to eat or clean water to drink, and this is hardly a tragedy on that scale. I suppose giving to charity is a private decision for each individual to make, but I personally think there are far more deserving charities.

Thanks Sophia. I never expected everyone on the board to be in a position to donate money to this charity, as per my thread - just a 'head's up' that should they want to, the opportunity was almost over.

Ok - here is the challenge then to everyone who feels that my money could have gone to a more worthy charity ... how many here are going to commit to giving an extra £10 to a charity of their choice by Christmas?

Now that would make all this debate all the more worthwhile ... :)
    My mum wants me to sponsor a Yak for her Christmas present, but it's like £80 so she might have to make to with just a leg.
    Hang on a sec. You were saying that the majority were saving for hampers and not presents. Which is it?

They might have used some of their money for presents but the majority was on food. But if their savings have gone, they have lost their money for both.
    My mum wants me to sponsor a Yak for her Christmas present, but it's like £80 so she might have to make to with just a leg.

Be flippant. Even if you dont approve of my donation to Farepak customers, all the other charities that are so worthwhile must be giggling themselves silly over that comment ... let's hope it's not your Mum desperate for help with breast cancer, for instance.
    Teagan wrote:
    Be flippant. Even if you dont approve of my donation to Farepak customers, all the other charities that are so worthwhile must be giggling themselves silly over that comment ... let's hope it's not your Mum desperate for help with breast cancer, for instance.
    You know what sponsoring a Yak means? It goes to starving families in the third world to help them earn a living. It doesn't mean you get your picture up at the zoo.
    If your post about sponsoring a Yak was serious, then I apologise unreservedly ... it seemed like you were taking the piss.

And a leg is better than nothing! :)
    Nah it's a real thing. Just thought it was a bit more novel than the usual charity donation.
    Correction, £85
    Nah it's a real thing. Just thought it was a bit more novel than the usual charity donation.

Sorry dude - that is a very worthwhile donation. :)
    sophia wrote:
    Some of these seem like a good idea to me: http://www.oxfamunwrapped.com/
    :chin: Hmm, I'm interested in that goat. It's a bit more in my price range.
    Teagan I totally agree with all the points you've made, and your general sentiment. If I had seen this thread earlier I definitely would've contributed as I think it's very commendable, and that there are other causes that might seem more worthwhile and other people in the same/worse situations does not negate the fact that these people's Christmases are well on the way to being ruined. Christmases they had the foresight to plan and save for.

But then maybe I'm an oversensitive soul, too ;)
    There's no need to be flippant.

I'm well aware of what Farepak was- it was a savings scheme, where they invest the money and make their money from the investments. They made some very poor investments, and went bust.

Most of the Farepak custom was not for food hampers, it was for High Street vouchers- vouchers which would be spent on gifts.

Now I sympathise with anyone who loses money as a result of a folded company, and I don't attack anyone who donated money to this fund, I just think that the whole enterprise is very misguided. Especially as the customers of many other companies who lost everything did not get the publicity and did not get demands for public money to be spent on them.

I don't condemn anyone for donating, but there are better things to give a tenner to. And it certainly isn't up to the Government to contribute tax funds to it.
    Teagan wrote:
    I don't know what your views are on this terrible mess but I donated a few pounds to help. See story :-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6194136.stm

If you can make a donation, you can do it here (and if you are a UK tax payer, they get even more back!) :-

http://www.farepakresponsefund.org.uk/

You will feel all warm 'n glowy afterwards ... :)

I feel sorry for the people that lost out but there's no way I've ever donate to that cause .. I'm really not suprised in the least they've not managed to raise anything like £50 Million

I'd much rather give money to help people affected by droughts, wars, famine, cancer, etc (i.e. things totally out of their control) then to give back money to people who had what they lost in the first place in their own hands to begin with.

I think a lot of the people that used that scheme need more help in being taught how to manage their finances, if they cuoldn't have opened a bank account they could have just bougt premium bonds and cash them out later and even stood a chance of winning £1 million each month.

I think this is the UK's equivelent for 2006 of Hurricane Katrina, i.e. and event that has happened this year that has effected some of the poorest people in our country .. feel sorry for them but in the long term they might learn a good financial lesson forom what hapened and christmas is too commerical anyway, they say the average person or household is spending over £900 per year on xmas?
    I'd much rather give money to help people affected by droughts, wars, famine, cancer, etc (i.e. things totally out of their control) then to give back money to people who had what they lost in the first place in their own hands to begin with.

I fully respect that decision. The question now is, ARE you actively going to donate to one of your preferred charities for Christmas? :)
    I think a lot of the people that used that scheme need more help in being taught how to manage their finances

They really are stupid cunts for saving up for Christmas in a with-profits scheme, aren't they?

What "lesson" have they learned, except don't trust HBOS plc (who- correct me if I'm wrong- are a fucking bank)?

Dipshit.
    Kermit wrote:
    There's no need to be flippant.

I'm well aware of what Farepak was- it was a savings scheme, where they invest the money and make their money from the investments. They made some very poor investments, and went bust.

Most of the Farepak custom was not for food hampers, it was for High Street vouchers- vouchers which would be spent on gifts.

Now I sympathise with anyone who loses money as a result of a folded company, and I don't attack anyone who donated money to this fund, I just think that the whole enterprise is very misguided. Especially as the customers of many other companies who lost everything did not get the publicity and did not get demands for public money to be spent on them.

I don't condemn anyone for donating, but there are better things to give a tenner to. And it certainly isn't up to the Government to contribute tax funds to it.

I didn't mean to seem flippant, Kermit. I just felt (at the time) that presuming that it was X Boxes for everyone seemed a bit unfair when we don't really know what people would be using them for ... but you are probably right and your views are very valid. :)
    I think a lot of the people that used that scheme need more help in being taught how to manage their finances, if they cuoldn't have opened a bank account they could have just bougt premium bonds and cash them out later and even stood a chance of winning £1 million each month.
    shittest comment of the topic....