Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Farepak response fund due to shut tonight 18:00 29/11/06

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teagan wrote:
    So it follows then that we shouldn't raise funds for starving Africans because the moral responsibility for looking after them lies with their government?

To an extent it does, but the difference there is that it is the actions of our governments which have lead to the problems. Those actions have been taken in our name and so we have some moral responsibility.

besides, I think there is a HUGE difference between supporting some in their attempt to try and eat/educate/gain health care etc and providing them with materiel possessions. Don't you?
    We are not 'bailing' out the banks but the people AFFECTED by them.

Actually we are bailing out the banks. Unless they are forced into remedying their actions then they will do it again, and again.
    Getting on a moral high horse about who is to blame is cold comfort to the THOUSANDS of families who have been effectively robbed.

Yes robbed. I don't disagree with that sentiment.

Do you donate to all victims of robbery, or just high profile ones?

This isn't about taking the moral high ground, it about making those responsible for this situation to rectify it themselves.
    I thought human beings were actually nicer than this.

I did too, but apparently the Directors of farepack's parent company and those of the bank are up there with any other thief IMHO.
    Would you all be so self-righteous if it was a member of your family affected - or is it only poor, working class scum that deserve what they got because they didn't use a bank like us 'regular' people? It's just very, very sad.

I hope that wasn't aimed at me, because if it is then I'd like you to back that up with any quote of mine which could give you that impression.

The poor working class scum, you refer to, are the same people who are bailing out the rich underclass scum who are going to enjoy a bumper Christmas this year at the expense of the poeple they ripped off. And at yours too.
  • Options
    I don't think either of you two are disagreeing about the horrible situation this has causeed for people. And it is a personal choice about how to respond to something like this. MoK is right that someone in the banks who ignored the theft of money should be responsible for repaying that money - and he may be right by donating you may be letting them off. On the other hand Teagan has a point that if no one else is doing anything about it, then he does deserve the right to make a small personal difference.
  • Options
    Actually we are bailing out the banks. Unless they are forced into remedying their actions then they will do it again, and again.

No - we are bailing out the injured parties here. Government should be legislating against this happening again and taking whatever action they require to get the money back. In the meantime, I was inclined to help my fellow human being in trouble.
    Yes robbed. I don't disagree with that sentiment.

Do you donate to all victims of robbery, or just high profile ones?

If I was aware of a fund for general victims of robbery who are on low income, yes, I would donate to them. Perhaps you know where one can do that?
    This isn't about taking the moral high ground, it about making those responsible for this situation to rectify it themselves.

But these poor people CAN'T make a difference themselves ...
    I hope that wasn't aimed at me, because if it is then I'd like you to back that up with any quote of mine which could give you that impression.

The poor working class scum, you refer to, are the same people who are bailing out the rich underclass scum who are going to enjoy a bumper Christmas this year at the expense of the poeple they ripped off. And at yours too.

No - that wasn't directed directly at you. I added that as a general comment at the end of my post and I was unclear. Sorry!

But I still maintain, if it was your granny that was ripped off by Farepak, your views would likely be quite different.
  • Options
    and again Teagan, if you are torubled by the response in this thread I'd suggest perking yourself up by reading teh thread that was already up that was linked to previously
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    and again Teagan, if you are torubled by the response in this thread I'd suggest perking yourself up by reading teh thread that was already up that was linked to previously

I will Jim .. thanks. :)

MOK - I have great respect for your posts .. I guess I am just of a rather sensitive nature. :)
  • Options
    I wouldn't deny him that right. I just believe that it means that we focus the attention in the wrong place.

It's sad to see the tabloids chasing people for donations to this fund, and proudling claiming how "they" have given Christmas back to the victims, instead of hounding the culprits in the same way that they would hound a minor celebrity for taking drugs.

I'm also interested to see that "only" £5m has been raised when you consider the wealth in this country. Surely people like Branson, McCartney, HM QE2 etc aren't holding on to the same principles as me...?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    No - we are bailing out the injured parties here. Government should be legislating against this happening again and taking whatever action they require to get the money back. In the meantime, I was inclined to help my fellow human being in trouble.

And by bailing them out, you are also letting the Govt off the hook. It is they who should front up the £35m stolen and then suing the individuals concerned for the return of the money. Don't tell me that it can't be done because there are ways and means to do anything you want to (like this) it just takes political will and a little effort.

If they don't want to sue then you can be damned sure that there is a way to fine these people for something... ;)
    If I was aware of a fund for general victims of robbery who are on low income

Why only those on low income? Is the loss of £500 quid to me any less?
    I would donate to them. Perhaps you know where one can do that?

I don't know, but then as you can probably gather it's not something I would be looking out for either ;)
    But I still maintain, if it was your granny that was ripped off by Farepak, your views would likely be quite different.

I'm not sure it would because I would still be going after the thief, not his neighbour.
  • Options
    Without wishing to be cynical if they used anything but their salary to make private donations to charity they are committing fraud - despite what the papers say the expenses can only be claimed for specific purposes.

I was merely demonstrating how they have a large amount of disposable income
    Plus you don't know what else they give too. Most MPs get hundreds (if not thousands) of letters which basically demand donations because you're an MP. Perhaps the MPs who didn't donate to fairpak had already given lots to children's cancer or Oxfam.

It's not that much to give £10, yet only 90 out of 450ish gave anything more than 1p.
    Finally its their pay - they can do with as they wish.

That's completely true. What's that saying about biting the mouth that feeds you? If they want to go on a luxury holiday this christmas then fine, but I hope all of their constituents who were left high and dry show their appreciation at the next election.

Maybe MPs should be putting more pressure on the government to step in, or to accellerate the compensation process, or to pay something before its complete so these families have something for christmas. And, it would be a nice gesture if MPs could give even a little. Just in the same way, that's it's nice if our national football team can sing their own anthem.

But it's their money and they can do what they want with it. The fact they have several thousand voters to thank for that money shouldn't enter into the equation. Of course it's the MPs fault. But it's christmas, and as much as most people hate it, it's about the kids really, and a lot of kids are going to be miserable because of this.
  • Options
    And by bailing them out, you are also letting the Govt off the hook. It is they who should front up the £35m stolen and then suing the individuals concerned for the return of the money. Don't tell me that it can't be done because there are ways and means to do anything you want to (like this) it just takes political will and a little effort.

If they don't want to sue then you can be damned sure that there is a way to fine these people for something... ;)

Why only those on low income? Is the loss of £500 quid to me any less?

I don't know, but then as you can probably gather it's not something I would be looking out for either ;)

I'm not sure it would because I would still be going after the thief, not his neighbour.

I guess we are just two different types of people ... you would leave someone to bleed in the street because its the police's duty to catch the thief and the NHS's job to patch them up. I would help them regardless.

Neither is wrong but I prefer 'my' people ... :)
  • Options
    Ok MOK - maybe that sounded a bit harsh ... :blush:
  • Options
    Just a little. Remember I help to provide the NHS and Police through my taxes so actually I guess that I would be helping in either situation.

Not to mention the work I do for the NHS or course ;)

I understand your perspective and it's laudable that you feel the drive to offer financial support. I just believe that it's "small picture thinking". [eta...] Let me explain because it is linked to the NHS thing.

We could have spent money and time on finding a treatment for measles, or we could (as we did and continue to) spend time and moeny on providing a innoculation. Which do you think offers greatest benefit? In this situation we can focus our effort (and the media's attention) on giving these people less of a Christmas than they planned, or we can focus our effort on forcing the Govt/Bank/Owners to give them the Christmas they wanted and kick the arses of those who put it in peril in the first place
  • Options
    In all likelihood MoK, doing the second will mean that the families wont see any cash till well after christmas, if ever.
  • Options
    you gota remember that even if they do get money back it wont be for a long while and last time i heard it would only be 3p for every pound they put in so a family saving £300 will get £30
    It may not be the most horrific thing thats ever happened but these people were just trying to make a nice christmas for their familys why does it have to become this huge issue about whos resposible and who should pay out we all know the answer to that.
  • Options
    Sopycookie wrote:
    you gota remember that even if they do get money back it wont be for a long while and last time i heard it would only be 3p for every pound they put in so a family saving £300 will get £30
    It may not be the most horrific thing thats ever happened but these people were just trying to make a nice christmas for their familys why does it have to become this huge issue about whos resposible and who should pay out we all know the answer to that.

From the BBC site last night :-

"Organisers aim to deliver the money, in the form of vouchers, before Christmas.

They will be sent to Farepak agents - who handled payments on behalf of savers - by December 18 although this date may be brought forward.

Those affected by the Farepak collapse should receive some 15 pence for every £1 they had saved, based on the response fund. "
  • Options
    I was merely demonstrating how they have a large amount of disposable income

Do they?

Or, like most people, do they have a mortgage that reflects their income?

Many people would consider our income to be quite high, but we don't have the money to bail out HBOS.

It sounds like a huge amount of money, £56,000, but it isn't really that much.

And why should they give private money to bail out thieving bankers and robbing directors?

The people responsible are the directors of Farepak- all of whom still have their knighthoods and their houses- and the lending directors of HBOS plc. Those are the people who should be bailing out the response fund- and although HBOS gave £2m to the fund, that's a tiny amount compared to the interest they made from Farepak's customers. Those are the people you should be vilifying- the people who did this.

It'd odd how the robbing bankers and thieving directors don't get any abuse, but the MPs do, and companies which don't donate cash do. What on earth is going on with that?

The reason why I won't donate is twofold- firstly, and most importantly, I don't have unlimited wealth and I don't think a turkey is a deserving cause, and secondly I don't see why I should have to part with my wedge to get the knighted directors of Farepak and HBOS off the hook. People should be attacking those people, people should be vilifying them, putting their address and home telephone numbers in the public domain.
  • Options
    I'm not saying they should bail them out, I'm saying they should make a symbolic gesture. When it comes to hard times its up to everyone to help out their neighbours, but I think part of being an elected representative of the people is to lead the way, tell people what they can do. By MPs not responding to letters, not giving money to charitable funds, not giving blood, in turn others won't because they haven't been 'inspired'.

And whilst people are intelligent enough to make up their own minds, it's about giving some kids a good christmas which I think is quite important. Of course, the people responsible should cough up; but that's a legal process that will take months if not years, and that's little comfort to 6 and 7 year olds wondering why santa hasn't come this year.

Since a lot of these families are desperate, they're turning to their MP to find out what can be done. Of course MPs cant give cash out to each individual family, but by not even bothering to donate to the fund doesn't it send out the message they're not too bothered? Only 90 / 450 gave anything.

Even if they all just gave £10, it would have been better than nothing...
  • Options
    Is not being able to buy Junior an x-box a "hard time" though? I'm not being unsympathetic but I honestly don't think it is. These people have been saving up for a big Christmas, not saving up for food.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Is not being able to buy Junior an x-box a "hard time" though? I'm not being unsympathetic but I honestly don't think it is. These people have been saving up for a big Christmas, not saving up for food.

In some cases that's true, but in other cases people have been saving up for 'just' a Christmas, from my own experience we ran a saving scheme at the co op and people would save £1 or £2 a week to build up so they could afford food and stuff for Christmas. But you're right; money a good Christmas does not make. It's not about a new xbox 360, or anything like that - but a good meal, a few presents for the kids, lots of sweeties, miles of fairie lights and hopefully lots of family does make it enjoyable; and that does cost some money.

But I concede that point, you're right, you don't need money for a good Christmas. It helps sometimes though :blush:. We used to be rich and I was a spoilt little brat, then the next christmas I didnt get everything I wanted, so the xmas after I didnt ask for much. Ever since my mum always buys me surprise pressies lol. I don't know what to get her this christmas :(.

I just feel bad for those families, because christmas doesn't really matter so much at our age, it's for young family - it's for the kids. And I'd rather we missed out a bit than them be upset because santa doesn't love them.... lol.
  • Options
    not food and stuff, luxury food and stuff.

for those of you who really care about people who need help this christmas, buy your presents from oxfam unwrapped.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Exactly, this keeps getting refered to as an 'emergency' but it really isnt. Its sad certainly, and unfortunately for those who have lost money. But as others have said this is a banking issue which should be sorted out by the government and the courts, not some charity drive.

And if MP's were asked to donate £10 to every family in their area which was poor at Christmas that would probably be more than their entire wages in some areas.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I feel so bad for those families who have lost a fortune and will not have the Christmas they want. But I don't think it is deserving of charity.

To compare, there wasn't a charity fund when Allders went bust, with people losing their money on undelivered items; there wasn't a relief fund when PowerHouse went bust, when Courts went bust. It happens, and its incredibly shit, but it isn't for MPs to bail people out, either with public funds or private.

If other people want to donate then that's great, but it isn't for me.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I am somewhat aghast.

Farepak was widely known to generate the majority of its revenue from its core business in Christmas hampers but, in addition, it sold High Street Gift Vouchers and supply gifts.

How can you assume that it was X Boxes for 'Junior' that they are going to be buying and not food? Maybe some were buying X Boxes - but greater amounts of peopel were not. Most of these people used their savings to buy the hampers etc with contents that they usually can't allow themselves to afford.

I do not think you are intending to be unsympathetic but I do believe you have a poor understanding of how and why these saving schemes operate - which is predominantly for Christmas hampers.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Exactly, this keeps getting refered to as an 'emergency' but it really isnt. Its sad certainly, and unfortunately for those who have lost money. But as others have said this is a banking issue which should be sorted out by the government and the courts, not some charity drive.

And if MP's were asked to donate £10 to every family in their area which was poor at Christmas that would probably be more than their entire wages in some areas.

No, I just meant £10, not for every family, just to the fund. Probably wouldn't go very far but it's the meaning or something.

Budda, I agree with you it's not for charity it's for the banks, but since it's going to take time for that process to complete... well it's Christmas santa_smiley.gif. There are a lot of other good causes, all of which are deserving. One of the most rewarding experiences I've ever taken part in is putting my old toys in a shoebox, wrapping it up and giving it to kids in romania :).
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    I do not think you are intending to be unsympathetic but I do believe you have a poor understanding of how and why these saving schemes operate - which is predominantly for Christmas hampers.

Dude, it's called hyperbole; a concept which posters on this board, myself included, are all too adept at using.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    To compare, there wasn't a charity fund when Allders went bust, with people losing their money on undelivered items; there wasn't a relief fund when PowerHouse went bust, when Courts went bust.

That's very true. But Christmas is that one time of year when we are able to sit back and consider others before ourselves ... well, that's the way I was brought up to think.

Obviously, the world is changing around me so quickly that I can't keep up ...

I really regret starting this thread.
  • Options
    Dude, it's called hyperbole; a concept which posters on this board, myself included, are all too adept at using.

It may well be hyperbole - X Boxes or no X Boxes - but the implication was that the majority were saving for presents and not hampers - whcih does not coincide with Farepak revenue statements.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    How can you assume that it was X Boxes for 'Junior' that they are going to be buying and not food? Maybe some were buying X Boxes - but greater amounts of peopel were not. Most of these people used their savings to buy the hampers etc with contents that they usually can't allow themselves to afford.

Well presumably these people had also set aside money for childrens gifts as well as saving as part of this scheme for their food? Therefore if they want to eat a nice meal, they'll have to forget about the Xbox they were going to buy and get something smaller. I'm not saying it's not a shitty situation, but they're not going to starve or anything.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well presumably these people had also set aside money for childrens gifts as well as saving as part of this scheme for their food? Therefore if they want to eat a nice meal, they'll have to forget about the Xbox they were going to buy and get something smaller. I'm not saying it's not a shitty situation, but they're not going to starve or anything.

But the money for both food and presents has gone. No - they won't starve ... Lidls are doing a can of baked beans for 13p, don't you know?
  • Options
    Well to be fair, the fund is closed and done. To those board user's who were affected and their families I hope the donations helped.