Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Volunteering Abroad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

I'm working on a feature article (part of my degree course) about Volunteering Abroad - peoples experiences, safety issues and why.

If anyone could help me by just giving me a bit of info about what they did, where they did it, why they chose to do it along with the low points and high lights of the trip that would be FANTASTIC. You would be helping me with work, and deciding whether or not do some myself (partly why I am doing this topic is because it is something I am interested in doing).

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cool, okay.

I volunteered in South Africa for a year because I wanted to travel and do something different/worthwhile. I worked in a school in Polokwane with pre-school children, and before that in a FreeState school where students went up to the age of 23(!)

Low points included being hospitalised for Tick Bite Fever, and having my shoes stolen in Mozambique. But high points included swimming with Whale Sharks, going on an Elephant Safari in Zambia, and getting to know some absolutely amazing people.

Not sure if that's the kind of detail you're looking for but I'm always wanting to talk about my experience so honestly just ask. People often ask if being a volunteer from overseas makes you a target for crime, but you get more friendly characters approaching you than dangerous ones in my opinion. It's obviously very important to be careful though.

I loved it so much I'm hoping to work as a volunteer in Malawi as part of the Scottish Executive programme in March. I also now want to become a Primary Teacher because of my volunteering.

I can't recommend it enough. Please do it if you get the chance.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there, not sure if you asked permission for this - but it's generally the rule here for any research...

Anyway, we've got an overseas volunteering blog on our sister website do-it.org.uk where people who are either preparing to volunteer abroad, or are already there, post on a regular basis. Might be useful for your research.
    Check it out here
    :thumb: