Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Refund timeframe

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone got any idea about the period it is legally acceptable for a company to withold a refund?

I returned a jumper to a shop in August for a refund 'coz it was fraying after a single wash, was told it'd be inspected and i'd be contacted in a couple of weeks.

Months pass, and still no refund...and i'm told the jumper has now been sent to head office without mention of when i should get my money back.

Is this legal? :confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally I think you were a bit of a mug to hand it over without a refund, do you have any evidence you handed it in?
    wow i've never heard that happen before, normally they just givbe you a refund or send you away
    You're a bit of a dafty to hand it over without getting the money.

They are allowed to inspect it to make sure it is damaged, but they must take a reasonable amount of time.

Go to the shop and tell them to stop being cunts, and then get Trading Standards involved.
    budda wrote:
    Personally I think you were a bit of a mug to hand it over without a refund, do you have any evidence you handed it in?

Obviously. :rolleyes:
    I had a similar experience with a [very expensive :mad: ] dress I bought a few years back, I'd say you're best off kicking up a massive stink about it and to keep contacting them about it until you get some kind of answer and compensation.

Otherwise they'll continue to drag their heels, possibly even hoping you just give up and forget about it. That's what they did with me, the cunts, but victory was mine in the end :razz:
    If you were told a couple of weeks and its been months you have a perfectly good right to kick up a fuss. Try searching for info on trading standards on the internet and if you find anything print it off and take it into the shop. Just don't let them fob you off with more excuses.
  • Porky_StalkerPorky_Stalker Posts: 108 The Mix Convert
    Just wondered if any of these links would be helpful for you:

Consumer Direct

Advice Guide

They have information on refunds and complaint procedures.. might be worth having a look.