Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Referencing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Right. I have an essay to do on defining some key terms. It's just to test our referencing skills and stuff really. Sounds prety easy I know, just a bit of googling and I'm done. Only problem is we have to read these essays out to the rest of the group and our tutor then gives us feed back. Well, I'm crap at doing that kinda thing, and everyone else in my class is really quite clever. And seeing as I don't really know anyone that well, I don't wanna make an arse of myself by not doing it properly. :(

I've searched online for some referencing guides but most of them only give advice on book referencing, not web. I did find one that gave me some idea on web referencing, but it says to still include author etc, and some sites I've used for my research don't state who wrote it and stuff. Ugh, I'm getting all worked up and not making much sense.

Basically, any help of any kind would be great. :thumb:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    We were advised to put the full URL of the site used as well as the date and time we accessed it if we ever used web sources.
  • Options
    Hmm, thats what I did at A Level.

But I didn't know whether to do, for example:

"According to Wikipedia..." and then include the full URL in a referencing list

OR

"According to [Full URL here"..

Ah, I'm so stressed :(
  • Options
    Surely you wouldn't have to say 'according to Wikipedia' because you'll be giving the URL afterwards?
  • Options
    i wouldn't say according to wilkpedia. i'd just write the bit you're quoting from them and then put the reference. :yes:
  • Options
    Also - we were told not to use Wikipedia in our research, because if/when they check it it might not be the same as when you used it.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    Also - we were told not to use Wikipedia in our research, because if/when they check it it might not be the same as when you used it.
    Yeh, I know, that website is a pile of shit :( - Only used it as an example though.

And thanks guys, yeh that was quite obvious, I dunno why I said that. I'm such an arse sometimes :(

THAAANKKSS :razz:
  • Options
    You can quote websites easily, quoting the url, and you should date the reference should it change.
  • Options
    don't know what level you are working at but this is what we do for the harvord (or something like that) system:

"this is the full direct quote you use in the work" (Wilkpedia, 2006)

Then in a bibliography at the end:

Wilkpedia, 2006, the name of the title of the work retrieved todays date: full URL address
  • Options
    ashlee wrote:
    don't know what level you are working at but this is what we do for the harvord (or something like that) system:

"this is the full direct quote you use in the work" (Wilkpedia, 2006)

Then in a bibliography at the end:

Wilkpedia, 2006, the name of the title of the work retrieved todays date: full URL address
    Yes! That's what I have done, I checked the Harvard guide online. As long as I include a reference list with full URL's and the date I retrieved them, it can't be classed as plagiarism can it? I'm sure I'll be fine with this method, seeing as there's so many anyway.

Ta :thumb: