Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Another copper avoids speeding cvonviction

Still, at least his chow mein stayed hot!

What's the betting I'd have got a huge fine and ban for doing that?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I doubt you would have got a huge fine and ban for doing 48 in a 40 somehow.
  • Options
    This is beyond a joke...

But maybe it's all a cunning plot to cut crime and increase police numbers. Maybe they're doing this so boy racers and joy riders across the land realise that the one way to be able to race your car at any speed you want and get away with it is to join the Police Force. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I doubt you would have got a huge fine and ban for doing 48 in a 40 somehow.
    well my dad did 33 in a 30 zone just recently and has received a £60 fine and 3 points on his licence.
  • Options
    To my mind that isn't a huge fine and a ban then.

I'm not saying that what happened was right, but let's be reasonable!

I'm thinking a huge fine would be several hundred and a ban would mean losing your license....
  • Options
    i consider it a lot to pay actually. but that was for a 30 mph zone.. i would expect 40 to be much higher.. especially 8mph over!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    well my dad did 33 in a 30 zone just recently and has received a £60 fine and 3 points on his licence.

That's about as harsh as it gets tbh!
  • Options
    That's a bit cuntish, yes. 3mph over is very little.

Most police forces adhere to the unwritten rule of 10% + 2mph before fines are issued. So for a 30mph limit most cameras will only trigger at 36mph or higher.
  • Options
    If it's quite close you can argue that speedometers aren't 100% accurate so you tohught you were doing 29/30 but because it was rubbish you were doing 33. Would also like to say though, we don't know the full story on this case - the news are always going to try to publish a controversial story. I don't agree police should get away with it, but that's the police for you, they're just ordinary people like you and me and they don't want to get caught either. I bet if any of you got off a speeding ticket you wouldn't be complaining. Being a police officer makes it easier to defend yourself in court, but at the end of the day it's up to the magistrate. If this had gone the other way we would all be cheering, but most drivers have done 48 in a 40, or more. I've spoken to some (off duty) PCs and they don't agree with all the speed cameras: "You can't get away with it like you used to be able to".

I think because they put on a uniform and where they go to do their job is one people associate with nasty overpowerful government or something, then people automatically attatch a stigma to them, but find a PC and talk to them and you'll probably find they're just a normal person. Some wankers, some really nice. Sorry, that's my 2p (or more, cos I ranted on a bit lol)
  • Options
    He was on duty in a police patrol car- its not unreasonable to expect that on-duty police officers should be held accountable to the same laws that we are.
  • Options
    If they are not attending an emergency or doing anything else that might justify breaking the speed limit, coppers are bound by road regulations just like everyone else.

If coppers got done for speeding and simply took it in the chin and got the same punishment everyone else gets perhaps the public would not complain so much...
  • Options
    He went to court and was cleared. How is this any different from what the rest of us could do?
  • Options
    As much as anything it goes to show what a shite judicial system we have- one that is, quite literally, run by clueless amateurs.
  • Options
    None of us would get cleared though would we?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    None of us would get cleared though would we?

I don't know - it would depend on the circumstances.

His defence was that he started going to an accident, but then heard two other cars had been directed. The magistrates believed his defence.

What's your alternative - police not allowed a defence, automatic fines and/or jail?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    He was on duty in a police patrol car- its not unreasonable to expect that on-duty police officers should be held accountable to the same laws that we are.

He went to get a chinese whilst he was on duty?

:| In that case he should have the book thrown at him. Surely he should be working??
  • Options
    I don't know - it would depend on the circumstances.

His defence was that he started going to an accident, but then heard two other cars had been directed. The magistrates believed his defence.
    Ahem...
    Pc Akrill told Rotherham Magistrates' Court on Wednesday how he decided to help after receiving reports of a serious road accident on the evening of 13 February this year.

But when he heard other units had responded he aborted his journey and went to the takeaway instead.

However, the court heard he had not been called to respond to the crash, did not have sirens or blue lights on and was not taking the quickest route to the scene.
    Attending an emgergency my hairy arse.
    What's your alternative - police not allowed a defence, automatic fines and/or jail?
    The revolutionary concept that when police break the law they receive the same treatment as the rest of us and the law is applied in the same way.

No civilian would get away with speeding under unproven/dubious as fuck excuses. No civilian would get away with doing an incredible 160mph on a motorway and being cleared on the excuse that he was "a really good driver".

Fact.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Ahem...
    Attending an emgergency my hairy arse.

Sirens are not always used (especially on clear roads and in the evenings). He never claimed to have been called, but did claim he was responding voluntarily in case help was needed, but when he heard two others cars were responding decided he wasn't needed.
    The revolutionary concept that when police break the law they receive the same treatment as the rest of us and the law is applied in the same way.

I'm holding to that. You're not. He went to Magistrates court and they accepted his explanation, so he was found not guilty. I ask again, what is your alternative?
    No civilian would get away with speeding under unproven/dubious as fuck excuses. No civilian would get away with doing an incredible 160mph on a motorway and being cleared on the excuse that he was "a really good driver".

Fact

I think the key word there is civilian. No civilian would be allowed to carry a loaded weapon outside Westminster either. The uniformed services aren't civilians, though, are they?

You are also referring to another case as well, where he wasn't cleared because he was "a really good driver" but because the court accepted his defence that he needed to keep his skills honed by driver in a non-dangerous way on public roads.
  • Options
    The uniformed services aren't civilians, though, are they?

:lol::D:lol::D

Super Heroes ! !

Or is in the DNA ?
  • Options
    He went to Magistrates court and they accepted his explanation, so he was found not guilty. I ask again, what is your alternative?

Well, firstly magistrates would believe the police if they told them the moon was made of nobcheese.

So my solution would be to sack the incompetent amateurs and get proper people in to do the job:D
    The uniformed services aren't civilians, though, are they?

No, which is why this copper was allowed to speed in an "emergency", and I am not, even if its the same "emergency".

Have you tried to eat a cold chinese? It's horrid :yuck: :lol:
  • Options
    Sirens are not always used (especially on clear roads and in the evenings). He never claimed to have been called, but did claim he was responding voluntarily in case help was needed, but when he heard two others cars were responding decided he wasn't needed.
    Of course. And the fact that he wasn't quite heading in the right direction of the emergency was just a momentarily lapse in his sense of direction.

I'm holding to that. You're not. He went to Magistrates court and they accepted his explanation, so he was found not guilty. I ask again, what is your alternative?
    An overhaul of the system. So we can perhaps have coppers who don't come up with intelligence-insulting 'excuses' for their actions and accept the consequences of their wrongdoings. And if they did, a system whereby the judiciary treats coppers the same as everyone else.

Because at the moment some judges are clearly not doing that.

I think the key word there is civilian. No civilian would be allowed to carry a loaded weapon outside Westminster either. The uniformed services aren't civilians, though, are they?
    :confused: How does allow them to break the law?
    You are also referring to another case as well, where he wasn't cleared because he was "a really good driver" but because the court accepted his defence that he needed to keep his skills honed by driver in a non-dangerous way on public roads.
    Every single other type of driver, from test pilots to security & advanced drivers, and even other coppers can manage very well in circuits and tracks. The excuse was the single biggest load of bollocks in the history of mankind. And the Court did hear there was no problem about him going at such speeds because he was a very good driver.

For fuck's sake, how much bullshit are you prepared to put up with?
  • Options

Which brings up the question of perjury too...
  • Options
    The report I read in the paper implied that he had set off for their Chinese, heard the call and diverted, then heard the responses and went back to the Chinese.

IF it's true it doesn't seem unreasonable.
  • Options
    An important question that hasn't been addressed; why was an on duty copper getting a chinese?? I know whenever I've had a job, when you're working you usually have to work...
  • Options
    An important question that hasn't been addressed; why was an on duty copper getting a chinese?? I know whenever I've had a job, when you're working you usually have to work...

Anyone remember "Operation Napkin" ? :lol:
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:

That's a bit shocking I'd say.. I always thought there was a 10% + 3 mph buffer. I assume it was a speed camera?

A 3 MPH difference isn't that distinctive on an analogue speed dial on most cars

Although kinda depends on the road, like my own own would be a 30 mph road but I doubt I'd ever do more then 18 MPH in it .. can't imagine much else worse then running over one of the neighbours kids.

I've carried a GPS as a passenger in a lot of cars and noticed in almost all cases whatever speed the speedo says the GPS tends to indicate the actual speed is slower - usually by 10% (i.e. if speedo says 70 mph - GPS tends to say 63 mph) - not sure which is the more accurate way to measure speed, but the GPS system is many $ Billions.
  • Options
    The question isn't whether police get off when they're caught doing things that anyone else would be punished for. It's whether after getting caught, they get the same punishment as any other member of the public. I don't know if there are any statistics as to the average driving penalties for police compared to non-police, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find out that police tend to get punished less harshly. Though this might be tainted slightly by my own experience of a cop who was dangerously close to causing death by dangerous driving, yet only received 9 points, allowing him to continue driving.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Have you tried to eat a cold chinese? It's horrid :yuck: :lol:

I'm eating one now (serves me right for not coming straight home after being out to watch Bond :D ) Put it in the microwave and its alright
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    For fuck's sake, how much bullshit are you prepared to put up with?

I dunno - to be fair I quiet enjoy your posts :thumb:
  • Options
    Which brings up the question of perjury too...

Does it - so every time someone is found inncoent we should then try and get them for lying.

Fuck, I'm not not the liberal on here and the views of some people about having to prove innocence terrify me
  • Options

And you don't get to eat while you're at work?? I definitely wouldn't want to apply where you work. :chin:

I was once buying myself ice cream when two ambulances parked there and some fit blokes popped out to buy some too. :D Can't see anything wrong with it really. They're people whose jobs involve patroling a lot of the time. Don't see how they work more when sat inside their cars driving around in circles.

I honestly don't know what to make of this situation. I kinda feel I have more serious things to worry about. ;)