Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Changing to a part time course-finance?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey guys

Due to medical problems I have been recommended to change my course from full to part time (ie do it over 2 years instead of 1). I phoned my LEA to ask how this would affect my finances, and they said that I wont get the loan if i change to a part time course. But I have been told by a friend who did the same thing that they legally have to support you as they would if you were doing a full time course if it is for legitimate medical reasons. I have been looking into it on the internet, and I found something that said if you officially change to part time, then you get no support, but if you do a full time course on a part time basis, you still get your loan (ie full support). I NEED to change to part time because I just cant cope with the full time, but if I dont get the same financial help, there is no way I can do it. Has anyone been in this situation? Or can you point me in the direction of some info about it?

Thanks

ETA what is the difference between an "official" part time course and doing a full time on a "part time basis"??
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You need to talk to your finance people at your college and to your tutor. You don't get loans for part time courses because the system reckons you should be able to support yourself.

If you can't get anything off your LEA you may be able to get some other kind of benefit.
  • Options
    part time students are entitled to a small amount of support. no. you are not entitled to the same amount of support you are as a full time student. if you change to part time for medical reasons you should be entitled to some support which i think works out to be about £500/yr. ~ i looked into it myself, but didn't do it! if your medical reasons means that you are unable to work, as a part time student you would be able to claim state benefits to help support you for living, housing, etc. but thats about it.
  • Options
    ETA what is the difference between an "official" part time course and doing a full time on a "part time basis"??
    its your choice. part time courses are designated by the university as being such and attract no funding. full time on a part time basis means you, as a student choose to do study of less than about 100 credits per year and have extra time avaliable to complete your studies.