Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Choosing Universities for the Year Abroad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Right, so I've planning my year abroad next with uni and have picked my german speaking location (Vienna) which I go to for the first 5 months, I knew as soon as we got the list of locations I wanted to go there but with french I'm a bit lost. I choose from Besancon, Bordeaux, Limoges, Nantes, Paris VII, Perpignian, Strasbourg and Tours. Anyway does anyone have any experience of choosing for a year abroad or any of these universities? thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can't remember why I plumped for Hanover in the end, but it ended up being a pretty good choice...

I'd suggest maybe doing a bit of research into their services for international students, and if possible read the list of modules and options they offer and see which ones interest you most.

Good luck - I was lucky, when I went I only had the choice between 2 universities!
    As far as I know, the best Universities from that list are Strasbourg and Paris VII, in that order. If I were you I'd do a bit of reasearch on the cities, to see which one you'll like best for living in. Paris of course is beyond awesome, but if you'd like somewhere diffferent in France but beautiful and good quality university I'd definitely suggest Strasbourg. The city is wonderful,the Uni is one of the best in France plus there's a lot of german speakers around as you're abput 10 min from the border with Germany.
    I choose from Besancon, Bordeaux, Limoges, Nantes, Paris VII, Perpignian, Strasbourg and Tours. Anyway does anyone have any experience of choosing for a year abroad or any of these universities? thanks.
    i spent my year abroad in france!

let me tell you those french are a bunch of swots!! so be prepared to be in class all day long and do loads of work. (unless you want to be a drunk like me and just go up to one of the nerdy boys at the end of term and ask for his notes because je suis une etudiante etrangere :( )

Paris vii would be amazing but i would think you would have to work super hard. i would think going to study at a paris uni would be like going to oxford or some place. so if you are that type of person take full advantage of living in the capital.

Tours is a really nice city and it has a really big student population. there are loads of shops too as its quite touristy. they also have the tgv going from tours to paris so thats handy.

Nantes is another big city.. i would put this in my top 3 choices actually and depending on what time of year you are going you wouldn't be that far from the gorgeous beaches on the west coast.

i wouldn't bother with limoges or perpingan but thats just my opinion.

i stayed in Orleans btw - its inbetween tours and paris. i lived in halls and i made so many friends. it was like a year long party :D
    lipsy wrote:
    (unless you want to be a drunk like me and just go up to one of the nerdy boys at the end of term and ask for his notes because je suis une etudiante etrangere :( )

haha, what does that mean?
    haha, what does that mean?
    "i'm a foreign student" i.e. i don't understand anything and need all your notes.
    Thank you muchly for all the info/advice. I think Paris VII might be a bit much as I'm a lazy drunk. haha. I am quite keen on Tours and Strasbourg. Gonna keep researching:)