Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Council to ban cigarette breaks

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ive only had two jobs, but always had the attitude I'd work hard so that there was nothing to do for half hour then take a break and do what I like. Seemed to work fine. I think it's up to the person whether they want to smoke or have a cup of tea. However, at the co op, some of the management and others just used to walk in the back (even if it was busy) and have a cigarrette. In fact, they probably did this several times a day (meaning sometimes I had to go talk to them whilst 4 or 5 of them were puffing fumes in my face in order what to do next).

Whereas I would only take breaks when I'd got everything sorted, since people had to find them when they were smoking obviously they hadn't. And I expect that a lot of fag breaks are taken when there is still a lot of work to do.

The brain is like a battery, the only way to recharge it is by using it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    KFC isn't as bad because it doesn't create a serious and real cancer risk in everyone stood in a 20m radius of the person eating it.

If you read what the reference to KFC was in regard to you wouldn't make such a pointless comment.
  • Options
    Read it and the comment is still relevant :)
  • Options
    :rolleyes: You obviously can't understand a pretty basic point then.

The reference to KFC was in regard to people being banned from smoking on NHS premises because by smoking they are harming their own health. This smoking ban would apparently include somebody on their own having a cigarette in their own private car – where absolutely nobody is exposed to 'passive smoking.' The argument of passive smoking is completely irrelevant to someone having a cigarette on their own in their own car. Meanwhile if someone harming nobody other than themselves cannot have a cigarette simply because they're harming themselves why should consumption of fast food be allowed?
  • Options
    at work we are all entitled to 10 mins in morn and 10 mins in afternoon plus 1hr lunch break. It is up to us what we do with that time. I normally break this down to four 5 min breaks as I smoke.
  • Options
    Anyone who supports banning people from smoking while they are on their own in their car, or outdoors, is a little Stalin who deserves being put against a wall. In my humble opinion.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Anyone who supports banning people from smoking while they are on their own in their car, or outdoors, is a little Stalin who deserves being put against a wall. In my humble opinion.

Why? I don't really want to breathe in other peoples' dirty habits and don't see why I should.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Why? I don't really want to breathe in other peoples' dirty habits and don't see why I should.
    Outside?
  • Options
    :lol::confused:

If they're on their own in their car it's unlikely you'll be breathing anything of the sort... and at the point where there are protests against people smoking outside is the pont where a militant non-smoker starts to develop this insane selfish streak that smokers are endlessly accused of having.
  • Options
    Outside?

I did mean outside, but just forgot to edit the post.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    :lol:

Who to trust more...the pro-smoking lobby or medical experts.

You've really cheered me up with that.

KFC isn't as bad because it doesn't create a serious and real cancer risk in everyone stood in a 20m radius of the person eating it.

Of course, if you wish to show that people get passive obesity from standing too close to a Big Mac or a box of chicken dippers, then I'll happily see eating fatty food in public banned too.

Then what does create a serious and real cancer risk in everyone stood within a 20m radius of the person eating it??
  • Options
    highlander wrote:
    Then what does create a serious and real cancer risk in everyone stood within a 20m radius of the person eating it??
    Vindaloo
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    You wouldn't though would you?

Unless you are in the habit of either getting into people's cars without their permission or sneak up behind them and invade their personal space in the outdoors.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    :KFC isn't as bad because it doesn't create a serious and real cancer risk in everyone stood in a 20m radius of the person eating it.

Debateable if what I hear about KFC's nuclear enhanced chickens is true:eek2:

(Warning: urban myths about KFC chickens being blasted with radiation to make them grow bigger are unlikely to be true)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

Are you the same person who got wound up having to walk past someone who was smoking a ciggie? :yeees:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

You know what, I don't drive a car, I don't need a car and I don't really want to breath in fumes from other people's dirty cars...

Anybody who complains about cigarette smoke outside is an illiberal whinging busybody who seriously needs to get a life. Or preferably move to some town in California where everybody else is as sad as them. (And really, ffs what is a whiff of cigarette smoke in the open air compared to lorries and buses belching out diesel fumes?) - I of course wouldn't go down the militant anti-car or anti-smoking route. If you want to smoke, smoke and if you want a 4x4 that's up to you.
  • Options
    I put it to anybody in the entire world that they simply can't smell, taste or detect in any way whatsoever any smoke from someone smoking outdoors even 3 metres away, and that even if any traces of smoke from that person were to be inhaled at all they would be so insiginficantly small they would have no adverse effect whatsoever.

Let's keep a sense of perspective here. There is nothing wrong at all with people smoking outdoors. I could just about understand if someone is in a queue or at a bus stop and there is a person right next to them, and the wind happens to be blowing in the wrong direction, but anywhere else on the outdoors, there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for supporting a ban.

For fuck's sake, I'm actually very tempted to take up the habit just to piss some people off.
  • Options
    I do think it's more than reasonable to allow people to have a smoke outside. I think the sentiment of "it's my lungs" is incredibly hyped, although i can reason with the foundation of it.

Coming from a non-smokey, personally zestfully against smoking for the sake of my own body (although i find myself, sadly enough, hovering back and forth). No thread derailment intended.
  • Options
    compared to lorries and buses belching out diesel fumes?)

May i ask you why you use diesel in your comparison? It is a proven fact that gasoline is worse to the environment than diesel. I just wish certain countries in Europe got their bearings together and switched to diesel, which is (a) less harmful to the environment (b) less expensive.

Just realised... another attempt at thread derailment. My apologies.
  • Options
    Cars are fine to smoke in, but it depends on where they are smoking outside, doesn't it?

If they're smoking two steps away from the front door, like so many smokers do, then yes, they are a danger and yes they are an extreme nuisance. If they're smoking in a hedge 300 yards from the nearest person then I would have no complaint about them.

I can smell someone smoking within about 5 feet of them, sometimes more, depending on the wind. It should be banned to smoke at or by bus stops or train stations, especially bus shelters, although I appreciate that it might be quite hard to enforce it.

There's plenty of room for compromise- as long as I don't have to breathe in the fumes from someone smoking I don't really care what they do. Smoking rooms away from the bar and bogs- fine. Smoking shelters at the end of the car park- fine.

As for diesel, well, the environmental claims of it have been pretty much debunked. Unleaded petrol in a new car is cleaner than diesel in a new car, especially as diesel engines belch out far more cancer'causing particulates than unleaded petrol engines do.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Cars are fine to smoke in, but it depends on where they are smoking outside, doesn't it?

If they're smoking two steps away from the front door, like so many smokers do, then yes, they are a danger and yes they are an extreme nuisance. If they're smoking in a hedge 300 yards from the nearest person then I would have no complaint about them.

I can smell someone smoking within about 5 feet of them, sometimes more, depending on the wind. It should be banned to smoke at or by bus stops or train stations, especially bus shelters, although I appreciate that it might be quite hard to enforce it.

There's plenty of room for compromise- as long as I don't have to breathe in the fumes from someone smoking I don't really care what they do.
    Sounds fair enough to me.
  • Options
    I suppose theres nothing wrong with this , the people who dont smoke arent allowed the break are they?

The goverment is only trying to save peoples lives by telling them to cut down/stop smoking
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If they're smoking two steps away from the front door, like so many smokers do, then yes, they are a danger and yes they are an extreme nuisance.

A nuisance perhaps but a danger? I do not believe for a second that any 'danger' from passive smoking in the open air is remotely comparable to vehicle fumes for instance.
    Kermit wrote:
    I can smell someone smoking within about 5 feet of them, sometimes more, depending on the wind.

And? I can smell someone else's kebab. I can smell cheap perfume. I don't like the smell of either. So what? Do you think people have a right to protection from a smell? :rolleyes:
    Kermit wrote:
    It should be banned to smoke at or by bus stops or train stations, especially bus shelters, although I appreciate that it might be quite hard to enforce it.

Er, why? Because of the smell? - Since that's the only reason you've got as the danger of passive smoking in the open air is non-existent or at least miniscule compared to vehicle fumes.

Smoking is banned anyway already at all tube stations (since Kings Cross I believe) and it's widely observed and enforced at all underground stations. At stations on the tube which are above ground I'm pretty sure it's still banned but it's often ignored.