Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Council to ban cigarette breaks

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What this boils down to a smokers vs. non-smokers.
    naaa. i don't smoke yet i don't think smokers should be banned from having ciggy-breaks. an employee is an adult and is responsible for the work they produce. as long as they are getting their work done and doing it correctly then who gives a fuck if they take 5mins out to go have a cig? because at the end of the day if its affecting their work then they will have their boss to answer to.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    naaa. i don't smoke yet i don't think smokers should be banned from having ciggy-breaks. an employee is an adult and is responsible for the work they produce. as long as they are getting their work done and doing it correctly then who gives a fuck if they take 5mins out to go have a cig? because at the end of the day if its affecting their work then they will have their boss to answer to.

Yeah, maybe you're right. Perhaps is just the whiny non-smokers kicking up enough fuss for everybody.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
  • Options
    Perhaps is just the whiny non-smokers kicking up enough fuss for everybody.

Remind me again, who's got their balls in an ache about this council's proposals?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Remind me again, who's got their balls in an ache about this council's proposals?

I'm talking about on this board.
  • Options
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Allah.

Seriously though, if we said something like "no coffee breaks" everyone who drank coffee would moan.

Of COURSE you would expect smokers to complain if they remove fag breaks.

If you banned commuting to work in cars, drivers would moan... logic plz.
  • Options
    Glad we've established that its the smokers who are moaning (again).
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Look, I get it. You have an issue with smokers primarily, and this ban allows you to vent. It’s presented you with a perfect opportunity to trot out and air your views on smokers. You feel like you’ve made the socially and morally superior choice not to smoke, and why shouldn’t you laud it up?

I’m not a smoker, and to be honest, I couldn’t care less about smokers taking breaks. My work colleagues and I work a long day (in front of a computer) and I don’t feel like it’s a personal affront when they pop out for five or ten minutes for a ciggy and to stretch their legs. I often go with them for a bit of fresh air and to stretch my legs also. If you really feel aggrieved that they may have up to half an hour break longer than you a day, then take a walk yourself, perhaps it’d make you less cranky.
  • Options
    It should definitely be left as a matter of personal responsibility; rather than restricting snout breaks which is going to make them prone to chucking computers out of windows and stapling people's ties to the desks :D

Of course smoker's are going to complain, only the very few understanding and extremely chillaxed non-smokers are going to go to bat for the other team when the rest can the victory of some balance of "fairness" being restored in the middle distance. Haha.
  • Options
    oh well, i don't smoke so what do i care :) i can't wait til they ban it in pubs, then i can laugh at my mates out in the rain.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

You seem to be moaning alot about it tbh.

Say the government ban something and you disagree and moan. I'll call you up about it.

I think if I have a right to drink, and do other things that harm my person, I should have a right to smoke. If I can have a coffee break, and coffee isn't good for me either, I should also be allowed a smoke break.

If there was only two/three snack breaks, then I wouldn't mind. I can smoke in those.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Allah.

Seriously though, if we said something like "no coffee breaks" everyone who drank coffee would moan.

Of COURSE you would expect smokers to complain if they remove fag breaks.

If you banned commuting to work in cars, drivers would moan... logic plz.

But isn't an employer obliged to let you have some sort of coffee/tea break? Or would you really like to go from breakfast time to lunchtime without any form of drink?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    I am glad i am a non-smoker and not dependant on a substance like nicotine to get me through the day!

Now, where is m daily caffeine dose?
  • Options
    Sofie - I don't think so, it's generally a goodwill thing to be able to take a tea/coffee break in the morning and/or afternoon... or in the free range kind of offices people want to see shot of you are even able to go and make yourself a brew and stretch your legs when you see fit. Since they assume in those offices that you are an adult with a good enough sense of time management not to need to be timetabled constantly like a schoolchild. It has to be said though, some people seem to positively thrive on that kind of structure while others thrive in a more relaxed environment and more still on some kind of middle ground. I know where I'd rather work.

Can't you legally be worked (ha) for four hours before you're entitled to a 15 minute break?
  • Options
    If not longer, certainly when you get to 8 hours your are entitled to a break, but not sure about anything under that.

Unless you're a lifeguard.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    But isn't an employer obliged to let you have some sort of coffee/tea break? Or would you really like to go from breakfast time to lunchtime without any form of drink?:rolleyes:

I used to have to do it at school.

People used to have to do it at work.

I didn't like it, I doubt people liked it, but oh well. How does a smoker like to go from breakfast to lunch without a fag?
  • Options
    I don't ever remember having to do that at school.

You're not going to get dehydrated if you don't smoke, will you?
  • Options
    I dont have any problems with smokers taking extra breaks, it relaxes them, makes them work better, whatever.
    What does bother me however is when non-smokers have to bear an extra workload for a while because a member of their team or someone responsible for a link in the work chain is not doing their job properly.
    I've had it quite a few times where i've needed the help of another worker to continue with my job but i've had to waste time sitting around while they finish their fag.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    You seem to be moaning alot about it tbh.

Not really, I can't wait to be able to go to my favourite pub without having to breathe in the cancer-causing carcingens of selfish smokers.
    Say the government ban something and you disagree and moan. I'll call you up about it.

They have done before now. I don't recall getting much sympathy.
    I think if I have a right to drink, and do other things that harm my person, I should have a right to smoke.

You don't have a right to a 20-minute break in the middle of the day to go down the Dog and Gun for a double JD and coke, though, do you?

Since you mentioned alcohol, if you turned up to work pissed as a newt you'd be disciplined.

Also, last time I checked a pint of Foster's didn't pump noxious chemicals into the lungs of everyone around you.

I don't mind people smoking away from me, and on their own time. But the second I have to breathe the tobacco smoke of others, and have to spend my money on getting the foul stuff dry-cleaned out of my coat, then its my concern.
  • Options
    There are a lot more things in life more important than smelly coats kermit.

As a country that fashions itself on workers rights, then I think smokers should have at least one break in their day to smoke. Oh and please don't talk about smoking being a privelige not a right, heard it all before.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    There are a lot more things in life more important than smelly coats kermit.

Smoking isn't one of them.

I don't hate smokers, but smoking is probably the most foul, disgusting and selfish thing a person can ever legally do. The fact that its an addiction doesn't justify making every bugger else breathe in the cancer-causing chemicals, it doesn't justify barring asthmatics from restaurants and pubs. Heroin is addictive too, but people aren't allowed to shoot up at the bar.
    As a country that fashions itself on workers rights, then I think smokers should have at least one break in their day to smoke.

They do, its called lunchtime.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't hate smokers, but smoking is probably the most foul, disgusting and selfish thing a person can ever legally do. The fact that its an addiction doesn't justify making every bugger else breathe in the cancer-causing chemicals, it doesn't justify barring asthmatics from restaurants and pubs. Heroin is addictive too, but people aren't allowed to shoot up at the bar.

And how many heroin addicts do you know? There's literally millions of smokers in the UK plus it's legal. I don't get it though, those cunts who drive about in their 4x4's, couldn't they just get the bus or cycle to work, I certainly don't want to breathe in their cemical shite bla bla bla.
    Kermit wrote:
    They do, its called lunchtime.

1 cigarette in a working day that lasts typically 8 hours, dunno bout anyone else but that would really crack me up, especially as cigarettes help relieve stress, psychologically that is.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    There's literally millions of smokers in the UK plus it's legal.

It won't be in March. :yippe:

I don't care what people do away from me, which is why I don't mind drugs being legalised. But I don't see why I should have to put up with carrying my wife home because she's had an asthma attack just so some selfish little cunt can give us all cancer.
    I don't get it though, those cunts who drive about in their 4x4's, couldn't they just get the bus or cycle to work, I certainly don't want to breathe in their cemical shite bla bla bla.

What about them? Private cars should be barred from city centres too.

But at least a car, even a high-polluting car, serves a purpose in society. What purpose does chuffing a pack of Marlboros serve (aside from making the fatcat tobacco men rich)?
    1 cigarette in a working day that lasts typically 8 hours, dunno bout anyone else but that would really crack me up, especially as cigarettes help relieve stress, psychologically that is.

They only relieve stress because you're addicted to the drug.

If you're too weak-willed to quit, why should you be pandered to? Any other addict wouldn't be.

Besides which, I get an hour for lunch. You can smoke a lot of tabs in an hour. Smokers are prepared to do without for longer when they're flying to Miami, too.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    serves a purpose in society.

Irrelevant, there's an alternative to driving your 4x4 to work (bus,train,bike,walk) like there's an alternative to smoking in public (not smoking, smoking away from people)
    Kermit wrote:
    If you're too weak-willed to quit, why should you be pandered to? Any other addict wouldn't be.

You make it sound like chocolate, nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs there is, strong-willed people still have problems quitting.
    Kermit wrote:
    Besides which, I get an hour for lunch. You can smoke a lot of tabs in an hour. Smokers are prepared to do without for longer when they're flying to Miami, too.

Again, how stressful is a flight to Miami?
  • Options
    I have no problem with people smoking (away from me) but I don't see why you should be paid to do it.

Take a shorter lunch break and then take mid morning or afternoon breaks, or work a longer dady.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But I don't see why I should have to put up with carrying my wife home because she's had an asthma attack just so some selfish little cunt can give us all cancer.

As has been said before where possible the law should require a separate area for non-smokers that should ideally be in a separate room. Although even as things stand at the moment many restaurants are completely non-smoking and some pubs have even voluntarily banned smoking throughout or have proper separated areas for non-smokers. However, if your wife is a severe asthmatic I would say if she goes out of her way to expose herself to cigarette smoke that's her fault - and going in a smoke filled pub is doing exactly that.
    Kermit wrote:
    But at least a car, even a high-polluting car, serves a purpose in society. What purpose does chuffing a pack of Marlboros serve (aside from making the fatcat tobacco men rich)?

I enjoy a cigarette after a meal or with a few drinks. Enjoyment is a purpose.
    Kermit wrote:
    They only relieve stress because you're addicted to the drug.

I wouldn't count myself as 'addicted' - I sincerely believe I could quit anytime, I just don't want to. I smoke 1-2 cigarettes most days, more when I go out and I have no desire to 'quit'. Why should those of us who enjoy smoking be persecuted or forced into quitting?
    Kermit wrote:

And interestingly when smokers were allowed a cigarette on that flight to Miami, smokers and non-smokers breathed fresher and cleaner air. Since outright smoking bans affected most flights airlines have changed the air less often - meaning more air swishes around and around again and again.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    it doesn't justify barring asthmatics from restaurants and pubs.

I am an asthmatic. I have never found a problem with being in a smoke filled pub myself.

However, being forced to do the fucking bleep test for P.E at school was another matter entirley. And being forced to run full laps of the field at sprint all lunchtime because the teacher thought I was lazy. At least it wasn't alone.

Good words from Dis above. Not often I can say that! :D:thumb:
  • Options
    The council should ban fat people from their offices too while they're at it.

I wonder how much extra time those massive lumbering fatties take to get to the toilet and back; to the water cooler and back; to run (ha) that errand? Double the time I do? Why should they be paid for that extra time? I don’t take it as long as them because I look after myself.

Stop eating at your desks too, fatties. How can you be possibly working when you’re eating?

God forbid I find any fatty taking time out to inject insulin because they’ve gone and given themselves type 2 diabetes. Disgusting buggers.
  • Options
    The council should ban fat people from their offices too.

Yes, they should, they are ugly and smell bad in the summer!
    Every one agree with me NOW!