Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mould and Landlord from Hell

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically I have recently discovered that mould has recently creeped all along my windows. Nothing I have done just bad sealing that has rotted and single glazing windows that suck. I've previously told my landlord about it and he told me not to worry and not do anything about it. I've texted him today and he's not responded, for various reasons probably, but we've decided to take action because I've already mentioned it to him previously and secondly because this is one of a various long list of issues.

+ He took 5 months to repair broken tiles in our kitchen
+ When doing so he moved in a non-English speaking Polish guy into our house to carry out the work, claiming it was for one night, it turned into 3 and tried to get us to let him stay longer.
+ We have a mouse, the council have been and done all they can and said it's up to him. When we told him he said to go to the council again.
+ Our vacuum cleaner cuts out and blows up regularly and all he does is take it apart and put it together again. Never replacing it or getting a professional to look.
+ When we have an issue such as carpet coming off on the stairs he tells us off for not telling him sooner. Even if it's only happened on that day so there was no way of telling him previously.
+ He picks and chooses his days for when he collects the rent, is always later than he says he will be and often turns up at 11pm at night to collect it.
+ He has never once (bar the Polish guy) got a professional in to do a professional job. The seal on our toilet has gone which involves the whole system being removed and fixed. He claims he will do this next week. Which we doubt.
+ Various radiators don't work in the house. He claims he can't do anything about it.

And the cherry on top

+ Last week he asked to borrow one of our student tax exemption letters to use at another flat so they don't have to pay council tax. We refused but when I moved in I was bullied into putting the council tax solely into my name so that he didn't have to pay any council tax we didn't pay.

I've e-mailed our Student Services, but realising that he has the right to evict us as we have Assured Tenancies for 12 months. Whereas my other flatmates have homes in London I have nowhere else to go so trying to find a new flat that isn't too expensive in Central London in November is going to be very difficult. What should I do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd start looking for another flat, if it was me. Even if he gets his arse into gear this time, you're probably going to be putting up with for another year. Are they any conditions of his evicting you? You could blackmail him, as he's dodging tax... heh not really.

My advice would be to try and get out, because he sounds like a poor landlord through and through. Radiators he has to have fixed or replaced (by electric heaters, for example), especially in winter, and you have rights that stipulate this. Something to do with satisfactory living conditions.

Hope it works out ok though.
    Kermit is the guy who knows about this kind of stuff so he'd be able to give you info regarding exactly where you stand but as far as I can see, though it is technically his problem as it's a structural problem and clearly nothing to do with you, unless you're damn sure that the law is on your side, chances are, as with most landlords, he'll use the opportunity to fuck you over.
    here's a bit about the law on it
    http://www.breckland.gov.uk/privatehousing#standpsh
    These people maybe able to help you
    If you have told your landlord about repairs that need doing, and they have not made arrangements for them to be done within a reasonable time, contact the Private Sector Housing Team on 01362 656870