Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Being taxed.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, so I started work a month ago now. Each time I've been paid (weekly), I've been taxed about £52.40 or something ridiculous. I'm being paid roughly around £200 a week. Is this right? Or, am I being emergency taxed?

If so, anyone got any advice on what I should do about getting this money back etc? Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Talk to payroll dept.

Mine fixed it all for me, paid me back the extra and everything.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yeah, sounds like what I had. Did you hand in a P45? If not, you need to fill out a P46.

What is your tax code on your payslip?
    Nope, I didn't hand in a P45, but I did sign a P46 to stop me being emergency taxed. This is why I dont understand?

Errrm the tax code on my payslips is BR.
    Captain wrote:
    Nope, I didn't hand in a P45, but I did sign a P46 to stop me being emergency taxed. This is why I dont understand?

You are getting paid basic rate then. Get in touch with pay roll, they'll sort you out with a P46, you fill it out and return it and then you will get paid the tax back.

I had similar recently. It's slowly sorting itself out :)
    That's a normal tax rate isn't it? Taxes are high, that's why people hate them! Let's see when I get my first (for a while) pay check next week...
    Captain wrote:

Do you have another job? If so that might be why your getting paid at BR. If its your only job you should be on a 503L code. Speak to your payroll department - they might be waiting for a change in code which can take a while to come through from the tax office. Joolyknockers works for the Revenue if you want some more details.
    Coccinelle wrote:
    That's a normal tax rate isn't it? Taxes are high, that's why people hate them! Let's see when I get my first (for a while) pay check next week...

Nope.

BR = Basic Rate. It's the level of tax you pay when you haven't provided your details in the form of a P45.
    The revenue havent been able to provide you with a code as they havent been notified (With a P45/P46) you are now working for this company, so your employer has used BR by default. You need to speak to your manager/payroll urgently, fill in a form P46 and tick statement B (Only if it is your only/main job) hand that back to your employer and you should be put on the emergency code (503L X), this will give you your personal allowance but will not generate any refunds. Once the P46 has been processed by the tax office and all your other details are up to date, a correct code of 503L should be issued which will enable your repayment to be made through your wages. You will recieve a coding notice roughly 3-6 weeks after completing the P46 depending on how quick your employers are in completing their part and sending it back in.
    Good Afternoon

I was just looking for information regarding the BR tax code when I came across this thread.

Basically,this scenario is me, I have only just worked out after three months that I am being paid too little...

So,my questin is, once I have done as you suggested - provided the company that pay me with this P45 document that you speaketh, will I eventually be reimbursed with all money that I am owed? Or have I lost it forever due to not having been more prudent sooner about checking my tax code?

In my previous job i was on the 522L tax code, is this right also (my salary was £15350)?

Is 522L the code I should also be expected to go on to again (I am now currently earning £10 an hour, 37 hour weeks)?

Thank you

Johanna
    That was the code for last year. I think it's now 534L.

Edit: better off starting your own thread.
    http://listentotaxman.com/

works out tax amounts that should have been paid, for various tax years going back to 2000 etc
  • Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    A guide to tax codes is here:
    http://www.thesite.org/workandstudy/working/workersrights/payecodes

The number depends on your personal tax allowance, so will usually change each year.

To answer your question johannajohanna, you should not be out of pocket - you'll usually be refunded at the end of the tax year when they work out how much you should have paid and how much you actually paid.

Olly