Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

looking for the right course

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hello all.

I'm having difficulty finding a course i would like to do at university.

well i've been having trouble finding a course since i left school 3 years ago:chin:

i'm 22, and looking to get into special effects stuff.

basically "blowin' shit up"

I'm trying to find a uni or some kind of course where i can study how to do this
special effects for film and tv or something.

anyone have any ideas where i can start looking?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sounds fun, I like blowing stuff up too :p

you might find rather that university, some companies may offer apprenticeships in the field, or perhaps look into film schools that offer courses in special fx. I'm not sure what the job market is like for the budding fx technician though...

UCAS might even be able to help if you call them up.

good luck!

ooh, and welcome to thesite :)
    I'd try looking for work experience first. Give you a better idea as to whether you actually want to do it and will help you get onto any course you do apply for.

UCAS (www.ucas.co.uk possibly) have a list of every single uni course you apply to through them on their website which is searchable so that'd be a good place to start.
    My brother in law does computer graphics for special effects - I could ask him if you wanted but most of the people I know have done computer generated graphics rather than actual special effects stuff - do they even still do special effects for real these days.

However try this course - which was reccomended as one to consider if you want to get into special effects.

http://www.rave.ac.uk/about/ba_mid.htm