Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What is the value of truth?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well this is a bit of a stream of conciounce, but I hope people pick up what I'm saying. First if we define truth as: the true or actual state of a matter (from Dictionary.com).

Ok, now then, most of us value the truth don't we? Whether we want the truth from politicians, or our employers, or even just our partners, we don't want to be lied to. But, if you're pragmatic (or possibly a bit cynical) about things, what does the truth matter?

Take this example: a person has cheated on their spouse, the truth will only cause harm will it or not? So there is an argument there for the truth not to be revealed. However, if you were the spouse, then you would want to know if they had cheated on you, even if it hurt - wouldn't you?

In politics we want to know the truth of how the country is run - but I am not sure why as we are unable to change it. For example, assasinations, torture and interrogation are (hypothetically ;)) regular parts of the MoDs actions, yet they will always be denied. We want to know the truth, but what difference would it make?

I cant understand why we want the truth so much, when a lot of the time it will be not what we want to hear. When we're young we are taught not to lie, lying is bad. There are circumstances when it's important to tell the truth for the welfare of others, for example if you met someone and were going to bed with them but were HIV positive then you should tell them for their benefit.

But so many 'truths' are just hollow, an empty, useless fact that can't be changed and just causes difficulty and upset. So why bother?

But then personally, I will always tell the truth, because the 'idea' of truth means something to me. If it's confessing to some petty crime, I would, when blame could be avoided easily, just for my own conciounce perhaps. Why do we feel guilt about lying? Are we preconditioned from a young age, as our parents program us to tell them the truth about everything so they can make sure there is nothing in our lives they can't protect us from?

Final question for you to answer: Does the truth actually matter?

Comments

• Options
    course it does. 'the truth' will still be happening even if only a few select people know about it. really, 'the truth' is the only thing that matters.

ignorance is bliss and all that, but the idea of anyone else in control of my life or my perseption of my life doesn't appeal to me. i suppose its just issues of control.

also, theres a difference between telling a lie and not telling the truth, eg; not even mentioning it at all. i'm a soddin awful lier, but i can get away with something if its not talked about.

even if we all knew exactly how the world worked, a lot of people would still question it.
    But so many 'truths' are just hollow, an empty, useless fact that can't be changed and just causes difficulty and upset. So why bother?
    are you saying that you would rather live in a bubblewrapped world where you dont have to deal with anything? just pretend something bad doesnt exist? sometimes life seems crap. sometimes it feels utter shite. everyone feels that. i dont see the truth as a useless fact. quite the opposite.

if you did ignore / were obvilious to the things that make you unhappy, 'the truth' is still happening, while 'the lie' exists only in your own head. and when you meet somebody, they might think you were an overly happy, naive little prick.

i do think everyone blocks out reality from time to time. drugs, alcohol, bed, tv...whatever. everyone needs a form of escapism. but i dont agree with blocking it out completely. if you ignore the outside world, you are living in your own world. if you live within your own head you'd go fuckin mad. i would anyway.
  • Options
    I treasure the truth, and always try to find it. But my question was, as human beings, why? What is it that makes it worth knowing?
  • Options
    There is no 'truth' its a nice concept but in reality it doesnt exist. We are poor enough witnesses to our own life, let alone trying to know what's going on elsewhere. Documents, pictures, video its all man made and therefore totally biased.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    There is no 'truth' its a nice concept but in reality it doesnt exist. We are poor enough witnesses to our own life, let alone trying to know what's going on elsewhere. Documents, pictures, video its all man made and therefore totally biased.

I disagree to an extent. There is a truth - either A happened or B. We may never find out which is true and our belief on what happened may be influenced by our beliefs, but that doesn't mean their isn't an objective truth.
  • Options
    budda wrote:

Well, relative truth then.

For example: the Earth is round, is more relatively true than the Earth being flat. Surely?
  • Options
    I disagree to an extent. There is a truth - either A happened or B. We may never find out which is true and our belief on what happened may be influenced by our beliefs, but that doesn't mean their isn't an objective truth.

Exactly what I said, we may believe that 'fact' A is true, but we dont know its true.
  • Options
    For example: the Earth is round, is more relatively true than the Earth being flat. Surely?

Is it? Frankly I dont know, it would certainly seem to be round, but do you really know?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Exactly what I said, we may believe that 'fact' A is true, but we dont know its true.

I agree in many cases we'll never know the truth.

But there still is a 'truth' whether we know it or not.

To take 9/11 as an example - there is an objective 'truth' in that someone destroyed the towers. 99.9% of people may never know what this truth is, they may believe it was Al Q or they may believe it was GWB.

If the towers were in reality destroyed by drunken Welsh Nationalists who got it muddled up with Canary Wharf this is still true even if everyone believes something else.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    How very post-modernist.

I believe that there is an absolute truth and that it is the most important thing, that ultimately to know the truth is a good thing
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I believe that there is an absolute truth and that it is the most important thing, that ultimately to know the truth is a good thing

I'm not in anyway suggesting that because we can not definitely know the truth we shouldnt try. We should make efforts to provide an honest account of our own lifes to ourselves and we should make efforts to understand the world around us as best we can.
  • Options
    The implication was that because humanity cannot know the absolute that there isn't one.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    The implication was that because humanity cannot know the absolute that there isn't one.

But if it is beyond our perception how do we know its there?

I see what you mean though, one could argue that there is 'the truth' existing beyond our understanding, but that doesnt really get us anywhere does it.
  • Options
    everyone wants to believe that what they believe is right. they want to justify what they have spent a lifetime learning hasnt been a waste. if you found out your entire life (memories, values, views, friends...etc) has been based on bullshit then you would be gutted.

for example; if a highly religious person got proof that there is no higher being, or an atheist gained proof that there was a god. (i know proof either way is hard to come by, but its only an example.)

whatever we all believe, whatever it is, we believe it to be true. you cannot believe what you think is false, cos then you wouldnt believe it.
    as human beings, why? What is it that makes it [the truth] worth knowing?
    as opposed to what? it doesnt matter what makes the truth worth knowing. whatever we think we know becomes our own truth, despite what the rest of the world thinks, and despite what the actual truth is.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    But if it is beyond our perception how do we know its there?

I see what you mean though, one could argue that there is 'the truth' existing beyond our understanding, but that doesnt really get us anywhere does it.
    No, but it's not unreasonable, scientists and mathematicians do it all the time. Take the exponential, it is always approaching a limit, but never reaches it. The limit could be considered the absolute truth and the curve the human attempt at reaching it.
  • Options
    'if a tree falls down in the middle of nowhere, does it still make a sound?'

you would think so, wouldnt you......
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    No, but it's not unreasonable, scientists and mathematicians do it all the time. Take the exponential, it is always approaching a limit, but never reaches it. The limit could be considered the absolute truth and the curve the human attempt at reaching it.

Of course, and as I said we should make efforts to be truthful to ourselves and find out 'the truth' about the world as best we can. But we cant, humans will always be biased, always twist things, always lie and always act in self interest.
  • Options
    Why would someone give up everything for the truth, an immaterial 'perception' as drumbeat said, why is this notion of knowing the truth of the matter so valuable, above everything.

I suppose I may as well ask what is love :razz:. Do you think animals believe in truth? Love? Freedom? Or are they merely human constructs? Or, if we were to travel the universe and found ET and his mates, would they think just as highly of 'truth' as we do?
  • Options
    Why would someone give up everything for the truth, an immaterial 'perception' as drumbeat said, why is this notion of knowing the truth of the matter so valuable, above everything.

I dont think humans value it so highly at all, not only do we all lie, but virtually none of us make any real efforts to understand ourselves or the world around us.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Of course, and as I said we should make efforts to be truthful to ourselves and find out 'the truth' about the world as best we can. But we cant, humans will always be biased, always twist things, always lie and always act in self interest.
    That seems fair enough. It is however against the current social trend to say that one thing is right and another is wrong. But with the absolute, sooner or later it is the case.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The truth is a varey valuable thing. But it also give those who have it a great deal of power - undoubtably we don't "know" the truth from what the government tell us.:rolleyes:

The truth is the greatest of all human comodities - it can give us knowledge. Knowledge is what humanity needs, it craves - however, the truth is seemingl in question alot of the time - if one person belives one thing, and another believes a different thing - both claim to believe in what is true - both are unproven and cannot be proven - what are we to do?
  • Options
    There are two types of truths imo.

Science and maths can prove that the sun releases x amount of light in a day or that 1 plus 1 equals 2.

Other truths are less concise, almost no one agrees with raping and murdering children, but you can't say it's true that doing that is wrong because ultimately, your opinion is based on your moral outlook of it, ie. subjective.
  • Options
    I would still say that there is an absolute truth on morality though, just for the record.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I would still say that there is an absolute truth on morality though, just for the record.

Care to elaborate?

Morals are made based on subjective observations on life and experiences. How can there be an absolute truth?
  • Options
    Well, other than the blury conversation I had earlier in the thread with budda, I believe in an absolute deity, hense absolute truth and absolute morality.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I believe.

Those are the key words, you said there's an absolute truth on morality like it was some objective fact.
  • Options
    We could go back and forth like this for a while. Ok fine. There is an absolute deity and I believe I am saved through the sacrifice of his son Jesus Christ.

We could still go on for a while though...
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    There is an absolute deity

There is?

I don't see see how we could go back and forth.

It's pretty clear, you believe there is an aboluste truth on morality based on your religious beliefs, not everyone shares your religious beliefs so there is no ultimate truth. End of story.
  • Options
    Or they're wrong. End of story.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Or they're wrong. End of story.

:confused:
  • Options
    Just because someone doesn't agree with me doesn't mean there isn't an absolute. It means they're wrong.

What's so hard to follow here?