Home› Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

This is the 2nd time now :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My housemate has done a runner with his rent and bill money. I had this done a couple of years ago to me. But this time it's a very close friend, who I've known for years. I'm so upset and angry.
I'm just having a rant, I know there's nothing much I can do. His name isn't on the tenancy, we were due to have a new contract to be written with him in it but he hasn't shown up.
He was working away last week and the bastard has even borrowed my case to take his pc......in reality he knew he wouldnt be coming back so he's took everything of value he has. He's left his clapped out car that won't work outside my house. His room is fucking filthy - I went in it yest and I couldnt believe my eyes.
I'm more upset than angry, he has always been a very good friend to me, now I've been dumped all over :( again.

Comments

• Options
    oh that sucks big time.
    What are you gonna do?
    :(
  • Options
    Fuck knows chick, just fuck knows. Nothing I can do, me and my other housemates will have to pay it. Ifeel guilty as it was my idea for him to move in and he's more my friend. I'm really good mates with his ex who's his kid's mum, I just rangher and said if he gets in touch just ask him to give me a call. If he's having problems, I'll see if I can help. Doubt he will, he runs away from everything and ignores the world when things go wrong.
  • Options
    try be more careful next time - you need to get people to sign a contract and get them to list a guarantor person who will pay the money should the tenant do a runner for example.

it is pretty shit though, hope he turns up or you get the money from some other pocket than your own.
  • Options
    try be more careful next time - you need to get people to sign a contract and get them to list a guarantor person who will pay the money should the tenant do a runner for example.
    we usually do. this time we had a spare room going, we organised a change of contract as well etc. he just didn't turn up. I wouldn't not let someone move inbecause they hadn't signed a contract straight away. We left it six weeks though, so I defo wouldn't leave it that long again.
  • Options
    so do you and your housemates club together to rent the whole house, or do you individually rent each room, because if you rent it on a room basis, i wouldnt have thought youd have to pay for the guy whos just done a bunk.
  • Options
    no went rent the house as a whole.
    I've been in his room and atleast he's left his monitor - the I wished I had....he's not having it back now! Mst of his stuff has gone though.
  • Options
    I'm really sorry to hear that. All the advice is to do it by the book but you should be able to be negotiable with friends.

I hope you track him down and beat the living shite out of him.
  • Options
    I'm sure I'll see him again but at the moment I probably would go crazy. The thing is he's been working away and will have the money to pay it, unless he's been messed around with wages as it's a new job. But I regarded him as such a good friend that he could have come to me and told me he was having problems. Me and my housemates wouldn't have minded helping him out if he had problems. This is typical of him just to run away, he's done it with every problem he's ever had but I thought he knew he could come to me with anything.

I'm screwed financially now.
  • Options
    +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    So sorry to read your news. I can imagine that's really hurtful from someone you considered a friend, as well as being difficult financially and legally.

It looks like you're based in England. You might want to give Shelter a ring on their hotline 0808 800 4444. They might have some suggestions on how to deal with your landlord, etc.

We've also got an article on your rights as a tenant.

All the best to you.
  • Options
    On further inspection of his room, his laptop, monitor, video player and DVD player are still there but most of his clothes are gone.
    It's all very strange.
  • Options
    Well I saw his brother last night and apparantly he's moved in with his other brother.
    I don't know why or anything.
    I haven't done anything wrong to him, I just don't know what to think and it's really upset me
  • Options
    sorry to hear you're upset. its very selfish of him to just leave you in the lurch like that. he seems to be quite cowardice really if hes always running away from things. maybe you should go around there and try talking to him.
  • Options
    You could bring him to Judge Judy. She'll straighten things out.
  • Options
    You are about to enter the courtroom of Judge Judith Sheindlin. The people are real. The cases are real. The rulings are final. This is her courtroom. This is Judge Judy. :cool:
  • Options
    You can tell you've been a student.
  • Options
    i still am at heart :(
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    You are about to enter the courtroom of Judge Judith Sheindlin. The people are real. The cases are real. The rulings are final. This is her courtroom. This is Judge Judy. :cool:

Oh My God...? :eek: :confused:
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    Oh My God...? :eek: :confused:
    :lol: i googled it!! i knew the jist of it but not to the letter!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    :lol: i googled it!! i knew the jist of it but not to the letter!
    You're not fooling anyone.