Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Will the real Adam Smith please stand up?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    NQA wrote:
    Nowdays hardly anyone (not even the Adam Smith Institute) believes in an absolutely free market

I DO.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Smith did not advocate a totally free market (pretty much no-one ever has for that matter)

I DO.
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'd say none of it. The government certainly isn't stopping anyone from giving their employees decent wages.

Money that is spent on complying with much of the pointless Governmental red-tape could be spent on employees. Similarly pay rises for employees cost companies a lot of money in additional taxation- don't forget that employers are expected to match the employee's tax.
    I thought it was customary for the Bank of England to have people on the notes with beards - as they are less easily forged. With the obvious exception of Elizabeth Fry (who probably had a little menopausal grey beard at some stage).

I'm still annoyed they replaced my great great great uncle (George Stephenson) with the aforementioned Miss Fry.