Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

So whats punk???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Ok so many people get on my nerves with this. What in your opinion is "punk music" because I'm sorry Sellout Boy [Fallout boy :p ] do not count as punk...punk is sex pistols, dead kennedys etc they totaly pwn all!!! But yeah so many people class fallout boy and PANIC! at the disco as punk its not its "pop punk" is it not??? But yes as much as i like [some of] fallout boy's music and the rest of it, it is not as hXc as reallly true punk right????:yippe:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I thought fallout boy was emo?

Depends what era, early punk was stuff like the Sex Pistols and the Clash, middle era punk was stuff like NOFX and Rancid and possibly early Greenday. Now you have stuff like Sum41 and all that crap. Easy listening but definately lost it roots like.
    Thank you, fallout boy IS emo, well thats what most people say but those who dont want to admit to i dunno, "emoism" say its punk but its classed as punk/pop punk *rolls eyes* but i have to agree with you on that one sum41 and the rest of that crap is just a waste of time, NOFX DK Sex Pistols pwn all :D sorry such a random tread im bord and its been bugging me all day! :)
    I are 15 whyyy??
    I've always been a fan of DK, Aus Rotten, Submachine, Casualties, U.S. Bombs, Caustic Christ all the way to light stuff like Ramones, Anti-Flag, Bad Religion... I see punk as, first, a genere of music, but more than just the sound. Lyrics play a big part too. No matter the sound if all a bands songs are about being lonley and girls and how their middle class parents made them do their homework every night instead of going out to drink... its not punk.
    Bad Religion
    Punk is an attitude. Its about doing things for yourself, experimentation, grassroots scenes, anti-corporate etc.
    Punk is more often than not a political standpoint, or at least used to be. It's heavily allied with anarchism and anti-establishment thinking. Which basically menas there are no punk bands around these days.
    punk is many things

a lifestyle, a fashion, a musical genre, an attitude.

does it really matter?

thought not.
    Punk is more often than not a political standpoint, or at least used to be. It's heavily allied with anarchism and anti-establishment thinking. Which basically menas there are no punk bands around these days.

anti-flag?

you basically just described them
    Fall Out Boy aren't punk...I wouldn't class them as emo really but they definately are not punk. Punk is The Clash, Sex Pistols, Anti-Flag, early NOFX.....it's not just a genre of music or a fashion, it's an anarchist movement. I agree with alot of punk bands views on politics but I'm not really into the rest of the scene...can't stand the music to be honest.
    Less Than Jake are the only band that's considered 'PUNK' that I really like but I wouldn't class them as punk at all...
    yeh hXc totally pwns :cool:
    muse- wrote:
    anti-flag?

you basically just described them

Yeah, them and Bad Religion, The Clash, Pistols, early NOFX as someone said.
    Though they don't have a political standpoint, I would also include the Misfits as their music has a lot of similar characteristics.

I wouldn't class LTJ as punk - they're more Ska/Rock. With a brass section.

People like Wank Off Boy, Good Charlotte et al. are just fucking abominations.
    I wouldn't class LTJ as punk - they're more Ska/Rock. With a brass section.

yeah, i think they classed themselves as "ska-punk" but it was more the music style including some punky riffs than a way of thinking/lyrics etc...

their new album is pop-rock and it's SHIT x 10 (in my honest opinion!).
    pill 'ed wrote:
    it's an anarchist movement.

Errmmm...no, not really. Bands like Crass, Conflict etc espoused anarchist ideals, but labelling punk (which was basically about music and fashion and attitude) an "anarchist movement" is, well, not true really.
    Are Take That punk?
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Are Take That punk?

Them and Abba :D
    muse- wrote:
    yeah, i think they classed themselves as "ska-punk" but it was more the music style including some punky riffs than a way of thinking/lyrics etc...

their new album is pop-rock and it's SHIT x 10 (in my honest opinion!).

Yeah but even if they do call themselves punk-ska, they're not really punk...just a kind of ska/rock/pop-punk band...but a fucking good one unlike most.
    Yeah their newest album has kind of lost their old touch now that they don't have the french horn player but it's still a great rock album.
    Can't wait to see them live at Brixton!:yippe:
    havent heard of an unhappy customer from one of their gigs, def something on my to do list :)

im sure itll rock
    Fall Out Boy aren't emo. Read this so you understand what emo is. Fall Out Boy are a pop band, nothing more nothing less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_%28music%29
    Yeah, Wikipedia is really a fountain of truth when it comes to contentious matters such as 'what is xxx'...
    Yeah, Wikipedia is really a fountain of truth when it comes to contentious matters such as 'what is xxx'...
    :lol:
    Punk originated from 1976-1980 with the bands like the Ramones, Sex Pistols, the damned, the Clash etc.....
    The term "punk rock" (from 'punk', meaning rotten, worthless etc) was originally used to describe rock and roll bands in U.S. of the mid-1960s such as The Seeds and The Standells, who now are more often categorized as "garage rock."
    These were the main influences of the Punk bands that emerged in the time scale.
    Punk rock also emerged as a reaction against certain shit music that was around at the time in the seventies, like the pop stuff that was round at the time.
    Same as the Punk Rock The Punk 'Fashion' emerged by rebelling what was 'normal' at the time punk fashion deliberately outraged propriety with the highly theatrical use of cosmetics and hairstyles--eye makeup might cover half the face, hair might stand in spikes or be cut into a "Mohawk" or other severe shape--while the clothing typically adapted or mutilated existing objects for artistic effect--pants and shirts were cut, torn, or wrapped with tape, safety pins were used as face-piercing jewelery, a black bin liner bag (garbage bag) might, and often did, become a dress, T-Shirt or skirt.

So yeah i think thats the beginning of punk, best way i can desribe it was it was a big fuck off rebel against everything.

There was cast offs just like any genre. later on the was reggae influences and 2 toned I.E the Clash then we had the Ska-Punk, the Specials, Madness etc that spouted from that. whast happened now is it has spread so much that it is just watered down and people think its punk when clearly is t isnt.

what gets me is why so called 'Punks' listen to Send More Paramedics when its quite clearly fucking thrash behind it.

what gets me is why so called 'Punks' listen to Send More Paramedics when its quite clearly fucking thrash behind it.

Unfortunately these days, people that belong to a certain "group" (e.g. Punks, Emo's, Metalheads e.t.c) will listen to a certain band and class it as "their genre" just because the image of the band matches their image and the media (cough Kerrshit cough) tell them it is....they don't actually know anything about the music.
    yeah totally.

i mean i dont care if they do listen tot hem, there a great band but they think there punks and stuff when they just clearly arent, gets on my tits. i know SMP pretty well played with them loadsa times and regualrly meet and they are no way punks. bunch of guys whos influences on the music ONLY in horror movies and old skool thrash. nothing like Sex Pistols, ramones etc etc