Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Men and their exes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is really irritating me lately, I've noticed when meeting some guys they seem to bang on about their exes.

Men: Why do you feel the need to talk about your exes to someone you've just met?

I don't feel the need to speak about my ex boyfriends when I meet someone, Infact, they don't even enter my thoughts!!

Women: What are your views on this?

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    i never talk about my exes unless i am asked and even then i am blunt. i try to live a whole, 'put behind the past' type attitude when i meet someone new. although i always seem stangely interested in her exes for some reason (maybe its to see what i have to compete with!)
  • Options
    Tbh, I'd get the impression they wern't over them if they were talking about them alot.

It would put me off them big time.

I know for a fact I don't talk about my exes when I meet someone new. However, in the past when I've not been over them, I have done. Its only when I've split up with these guys after realising they were rebounds that I realised how much I actually went on about my exes.

Thankfully, I'm over all of my exes now so I shant be making the same mistake anytime soon :D
  • Options
    Tbh, I'd get the impression they wern't over them if they were talking about them alot.

That would be it in my opinion. They haven't given themselves enough time since breaking up and trying to find another relationship.

If i'm telling a story that unfortunatley needs me to mention an ex of mine, then I have to mention her, though these stories are limited - so they don't get mentioned often.

However, if they are always talking about them - they haven't yet let go.
  • Options
    This is really irritating me lately, I've noticed when meeting some guys they seem to bang on about their exes.

Men: Why do you feel the need to talk about your exes to someone you've just met?

I don't feel the need to speak about my ex boyfriends when I meet someone, Infact, they don't even enter my thoughts!!

:confused:

I know it both ways round. Girls crying after their exes. Happens. You've been together for month and years and shared a lot of your live with that person, and suddenly it's gone and you have to pick up your life where you left it before the relationship.

Everyone mourns a bit, even if s/he was a complete jackass... the good memories usually prevail and it hurts you. Many people - including me - tell about their soreness, I'm rubbish to no end with keeping my feelings in.
  • Options

I know for a fact I don't talk about my exes when I meet someone new. However, in the past when I've not been over them, I have done. Its only when I've split up with these guys after realising they were rebounds that I realised how much I actually went on about my exes.

Thankfully, I'm over all of my exes now so I shant be making the same mistake anytime soon :D

Well that's the impression I get too.

I even had one showing me a picture of their ex girlfriend, her mates were in the same club so he got a pic off one of their phones and he said "she didn't deserve me did she?!" :no:
  • Options
    its weird i thought guys are meant to like you talking about your exs but my last boyfriend went on about them for the hole of our 1st date asking all about them its like why dont you go out with them instead?!
  • Options
    i'm gay ...
    but ITS VERY ANNOYING and makes you sound like a moaning, winging, wanker who is not at all ready for a new relationship.
  • Options
    I've never heard a guy talk about his ex except for the random rude comment that might fit into the conversation... I thought that was more of a girl thing to do :p
  • Options
    Its hugely annoying, I'd never put up with it and bloke that whine about how badly their exe's treated them dont get a second chance with me.
  • Options
    I wouldn't do it if I was with somebody totally new on a date or whatever.

I've been with people before and it's come up and we've both spoken about our exes, and it's helped maybe understand each other a bit more?

I've sometimes been a bit less forthcoming with affection with people because of shit that went on in the past, and I think she'd rather know it was because of a situation with an ex rather than that I didn't fancy her or anything.

If I wasn't over an ex (rather than not being over the stuff that happened) then I wouldn't be with anybody else in the first place.
  • Options
    Talking about previous relationships is okay as long as
    a) Its obvious you still have feelings for the other person/not yet over them
    b) You go on about them so much I want to kill you (Like my ex did)

Its normal to do it but there are boundries, how you met, how long you went out for, how you split up etc is fine, but talkins about the finer details of your sex life with the is going a bit far.