Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Russian Power!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Litterally...The Russians have the power, they have the largest energy reserves around, they supply 19% of the world energy, in comparison to 18% that Saudi Arabia supplies. They have the largest Gas reserves near Europe as Iran and Qatar are the only alternative choices.

Russia had a only $9billion in hard cash capital in 1997, today they have $250billion. The average Russian workers wages have risen from $50 to $400. The state is systematically seizing control of power stations and energy companies from private owners and is not above having those private owners arrested or killed.

Putin in his KGB days was an economics expert and now he is President he is putting all his beliefs into pactice with great success. His popularity is higher then ever, his control of Russian energy is almost locked into place and he has a small group of loyalists to run his new energy empire. Russia is using Energy to succeed as a world superpower where Marxist ideals and Soviet missiles failed miserably.

As shown by the simple act of turning off the Gas when nations they supply refuse to back down to their demands, Russia has now achieved what all drug dealers aim for...dependency from their customers. Europe is dependant on Russian energy and Putin no longer has to concern himself with Western critisism of his Human Rights records or anything for that matter as he is free to do as he wishes because he has all the power. Only recently he forced a deal between several large American companies to collapse and engaged a series of Protectionism for Yukos, the Russian comapny the State now controls.

Is this the turning tide? With America engaged in quagmires all over the Middle East and China's every growing demand for energy, surely the Russians will be able to use their massive reserves to supply the Chinese demand, make increasingly large amounts of capital and show the West what a nations with out limitations can do.

I know i dont normally post this sort of thread, but i was reading up on it and found it very very fascinating.

Comments

• Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    Putin in his KGB days was an economics expert and now he is President he is putting all his beliefs into pactice with great success. His popularity is higher then ever, his control of Russian energy is almost locked into place and he has a small group of loyalists to run his new energy empire. Russia is using Energy to succeed as a world superpower where Marxist ideals and Soviet missiles failed miserably.

Putin is not an economics expert. He is a lawyer. He has never trained or had any formal training in economics. He himself said, as quoted in the Moscow Times a few months ago, that he is lawyer, when asked about his next career move.

Which brings me onto the next subject. Yes, Putin is a strong leader, who has had the balls, unlike Gorbachev and Yeltsin, to stand up to the West and do things in Russia's interests instead of those of the US, BUT, and that's a big but, he is stepping down in 2008. Having done my dissertation about this last summer, I know a lot about this subject. He has categorically stated several times that he will honour the constitution and step down at the end of his second term which is in late Spring 2008.

So what will become of Russia then? Will we see what happened after the death of Stalin where the once-great nation falls apart because no-one can continue after such a good leader? Unlike Stalin who was Party Leader until he died in 1952 (I think), Putin will have time to groom his sucessor, a concept which, granted, isn't exactly condusive to open democracy so perhaps the country isn't doomed.
    Bullseye wrote:
    As shown by the simple act of turning off the Gas when nations they supply refuse to back down to their demands, Russia has now achieved what all drug dealers aim for...dependency from their customers. Europe is dependant on Russian energy and Putin no longer has to concern himself with Western critisism of his Human Rights records or anything for that matter as he is free to do as he wishes because he has all the power. Only recently he forced a deal between several large American companies to collapse and engaged a series of Protectionism for Yukos, the Russian comapny the State now controls.

Very true. Russia does have most of the world by the balls at the moment. But what happens after Putin and what will happen when all that gas and oil run out? Thing is, having recently been to Russia, the upshot of this surge in money is that there is no investment going on. People are investing in high-yield but fleeting industries like telecoms and hi-tech industries. No-one is investing in manufacturing which is evident anywhere out of the major cities. The only industries, aside from oil and gas, which are flourishing are weapons, aircraft manufacture and nuclear reactor building; industries which the old Russians are actually very good at.

Bullseye wrote:
    Is this the turning tide? With America engaged in quagmires all over the Middle East and China's every growing demand for energy, surely the Russians will be able to use their massive reserves to supply the Chinese demand, make increasingly large amounts of capital and show the West what a nations with out limitations can do.

I certainly hope so. Someone needs to stand up to the US. The UK don't have the balls but Putin certainly appears to. I've always said that China's growth will be short-lived and all the recent articles about its growth seem to point towards the fact that, of course, I was right. China's growth is that of any developing country. Also, no superpower was ever built without vast natural resources. Even good old Blighty has, or at least had, huge resources, especially considering its size. The only resource China has is people which is a fleeting one. Once the money starts flowing and people begin to get educated, those who are educated will start leaving or we will witness what is happening in this country where there is a massive shortfall of skilled labourers and as such, most of our industry is being outsourced to Eastern Europe or the far East. The same will happen with China. Unless they annexe Siberia that is.

Russia, on the other hand, has a FUCK load of natural resources. Problem is, the infraestructure is so out of date that the major question is whether it will be sustainable. I honestly don't know but I really hope, partly for the sake of justifying my degree, that Russia whoops China's arse and becomes the next major superpower.
  • Options
    Militarily speaking Russia has always been more skilled at building weapons and hardware than anyone else. Even with the chronic underinvestment the Russians have come up with formidable weapons and machines. I'm no military expert (or that much of an aficionado either) but their missile systems, aircraft and submarines have always been the benchmark for everyone else.

If its armed forces were to be properly funded not even the US would have a chance next to them.
  • Options
    omg resources!!1
    I honestly don't know but I really hope, partly for the sake of justifying my degree, that Russia whoops China's arse and becomes the next major superpower.

A chronicly declining population and economic growth caused only by exports of resources are the right ingredients for becoming a super power icon14.gif
  • Options
    Hurray, i started a decent topic for once, go me!

Now to Aladdin, you are right, militarily speaking the Russians have always set the bench mark in most things with the exception of Warships and Aircraft carriers of course.

To Thunderstruck, i am happy to finally find some one who agrees with me on China's growth merely been the standard for a developing country. Personally China's greatest problem is its lack of energy which America has maintained by controlling the oil and gas lines. If they could buy from Russia with the money they have both countries could grow considerably.
    However i am personally sceptical of China's long term development as you are, but i am doubtful of Putin fullfilling his constitutional requirements and resign. Especially if he is popular running up to the elections, i suspect he may try to amend the constitution in his favour.
  • Options
    All the time that Russia needs to import just to be able to feed their population, their power is minimal.

Remmber revolution is only a nation of empty stomachs away.
  • Options
    Well don't think so. Russia is basically an oligarchy of rich men who were either former communists or former communists friends. Can't see an effective democratic superpower come from that situation.
  • Options
    Well i personally have never ever seen Russia as a democracy. Just that they are attempting to regain superpower status through economic and energy methods.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    All the time that Russia needs to import just to be able to feed their population, their power is minimal.

Remmber revolution is only a nation of empty stomachs away.

Yeah, and there are plenty of empty stomachs in Russia.

Russia holds alot of power. Less than before, but still alot. I hope they get themselves sorted out though, poor sods.