Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

taking contact lens' out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I tried them for the first time today, managed to get them out at the optitians but i really struggled to get them out tonight. I couldn't pinch the lens enough to pull it out before it hurt and i had to blink.
Has anyone got your own little tips and ways of contact lens' to help me get started?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Give it a couple of goes and if it doesn't come out wait 5 mins and then try again.

If you're struggling with the pinching idea, then try just stroking it down, almost like pinching it against your lower eyelid.

The one I find easiest (although it's also a good way to temporarily lose the lens) is to wipe across your eye from your nose towards the corner and knock it out that way.

Hol your eyelid up (like you're putting the lens in) with one hand and wipe across with a finger off the other hand, that should do the trick. If that doesn't work shout and I'll try and help.
    well i think i've got a bit of conjuntivitis after taking so long to get them out - i irritated my eyes quite a bit

heh, she told me it was very unlikely aswell!
    Ballerina wrote:
    I tried them for the first time today, managed to get them out at the optitians but i really struggled to get them out tonight. I couldn't pinch the lens enough to pull it out before it hurt and i had to blink.
    Has anyone got your own little tips and ways of contact lens' to help me get started?

Always make sure your lenses are moist before trying to take them out - use a few drops of the saline solution to rehydrate them. If you try and take them out when they are a bit dry, they suck to the cornea more.
    yup, slide it to the bottom/side of your eye and itl come out easily :)
    i had this problem too, i could never get them out! make sure you eye is open really wide (use your thumb and finger) and then slide it to the edge of your eye. it should just pop out. if you're trying to get it out when the lens is in the middle of your eye you haven't got a chance
    If your hands were clean you won't have conjunctivitis, just sore eyes. Try wearing them for a few hours then taking them out to get the practise.
    They do take a while to get the hang of, so don't worry.

The easiest way is to hold your eyelids open with one hand and to pinch with the first two fingers of the other.
    Ballerina wrote:
    all i can say is it takes a lot of practice. use dry fingers and it helps if u dont use ur nails
    It'll take afew months but after they'll be in and out in seconds.

Put your 3rd finger under the eyelid and pull down abit. Then all I do is is use the first finger and thumb and touch the eye and 'pinch' them together slightly... that's it.
    soon youll be able to do it with your eyes closed!!!

ok, maybe you wont
    And then one day you'll be able to do it drunk, my efforts last night were laughable!
    I normally open my eyes really wide then place my thumb and forefinger against the edge of the top and bottom lids, apply a bit of pressure and blink. Generally breaks the seal for me.
    If you've been trying with no success, leave it for a couple of minutes. You'll probablyfind that after a few minutes of poking about your eyes get inflamed and watery, and that makes it even more difficult to remove the buggers. Be patient, take your time and keep at it. Contact lenses are wicked, don't give up on them! Good luck
    i hav soft ones and i look to the inside of my eye and put my thumb on the eyeball at the opposite end nad usin my index finger brin the contact to the thumb and lift it outta my eye.

its so simple wen u get the hang of it
    You can try putting your finger on the outer corner of your eye, and kind of pulling your eye out (like you're making your eyes look oriental). that could tighten the lids enough to make the lens pop out. It doesn't always work, but it's a good one to try if you're fed up of poking yourself in the eye.