Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Universities...

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Have you looked into Oxford Brookes? It has an excellent reputation for English/ creative writing and entry is International Baccalaureate 30 points.

I know it's relatively close, but might be worth a nosey :)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Huddersfield Huddersfield Huddersfield Huddersfield Huddersfield Huddersfield Huddersfield Huddersfield Huddersfield Huddersfield Huddersfield Huddersfield !!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There's loads of students in that area too. Got some mates there who love it.
    You don't wanna go York uni anyways Franki, you might bump into you know who!!!!!!!!!! HAHA.

I know, I am quite scary.
    Franki wrote:
    Surely he'd be finished by then ;p?

But no...I didn't want to go there. I considered it, because KHSS told me to, but they didn't do my course and stuff so *shrug*.
    :yes: He would still be there.

He's doing a 5 year degree. He'll be leaving with a masters degree, not a ordinary undergraduate degree.

He was supposed to be doing a placement year as well but I don't think he could find anywhere so don't know if he's actually in York or not this year. It might be safe at the min :lol:

And Franki, I thought you wanted to go Edinburgh uni like, LOADS. Or am I thinking of someone else?
    Belfast is the place to be! :cool:

HOLY SHIT A TUMBLEWEED!

Nah go to Manchester, plenty of craic up there like.
    **Helen** wrote:
    Have you looked into Oxford Brookes? It has an excellent reputation for English/ creative writing and entry is International Baccalaureate 30 points.

I know it's relatively close, but might be worth a nosey :)
    Maybe. I'll have a looksee.

Stace - I did want to go to Edinburgh, but Edinburgh a) want 34 points minimum, b) don't do English and CW and c) don't like IB people.
    Edinburgh don't like anybody! They don't like IB OR ucas points. Turned me down, I had about 480 ucas points as well. Still, got into York which had a higher requirement and is a better uni so it worked out ok.

Franki Spanks, if you go to Northumbria I can come and see you :cool:
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Edinburgh don't like anybody! They don't like IB OR ucas points. Turned me down, I had about 480 ucas points as well. Still, got into York which had a higher requirement and is a better uni so it worked out ok.

Franki Spanks, if you go to Northumbria I can come and see you :cool:
    Don't know about the IB but with Edinburgh, and most Scottish universities, they don't really focus on the UCAS points. They think about the actual grades and number of subjects sat.
    Yep, it says something about "Edinburgh has strong reservations about the UCAS tarrif system and as such does not base entries on them." I was just bitter because they didn't want me.
    In fairness though lots of places don't like UCAS points....
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Wyetry wrote:
    Failing that there is also Greenwich which is down the road from me & wycombe which means you get to hang out with dr p! Also if the worst comes to the worst then you can probably get a place at any of the universities you've listed through clearing.

Also consider doing English as a stand alone subject and then a short course in creative writing which would definatley broaden your choice of places.

Bucks do English and CW, not sure on the entry reqs but from personal experience they're very accomadating.

The night life is really good, the Students Union is second to none and there are always events at the uni bars.

Also, as Steph said, you'd get to see me :p

www.bcuc.ac.uk if you wanna check it out.

EDIT: http://www.bcuc.ac.uk/prospective_students/courses/applied_social_sciences__huma/arts_and_media/creative_writing_and_english_l.aspx - English Lit. + CW. not sure if you wanted to do Language or Lit. But there you go :p
    Where is the Union at BCUC? It used to be a fairly dreary little canteen in the Wycombe campus when I used to play concerts there. I've spent many an hour trying to find somewhere to change that isn't in full view of the big windows overlooking the flyover in the past!
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    piccolo wrote:
    Where is the Union at BCUC? It used to be a fairly dreary little canteen in the Wycombe campus when I used to play concerts there. I've spent many an hour trying to find somewhere to change that isn't in full view of the big windows overlooking the flyover in the past!
    When you walk past noodle bar, through the underpass, you turn right and you can't miss it.

They're 2 parts to it, the white room which is pretty big, normally hosts the club nights and live acts, and the lounge which is a bar that's open all day and hosts smaller events and comedy night.

www.bcsu.net :D
    Awesome. I'll stop thread-jacking now.

Franki, there are plenty of lovely institution in London that would be falling over themselves to have you :p I don't know anything about anywhere you're thinking of applyign to, though. Sorry.
    manchester is the best! the shopping is brilliant! - we have lots of flagship stores. a lot of it has been redeveloped in recent years and it looks great.

the nightlife is amazing. so many different types of bars and clubs -all genres of msuic. the student area is huge too.

i think its the guardian or the times who publish a magazine (available online) every year about the best universities considering all different aspects (educational, social, prices etc).
    ^^ I think both those papers do do university guides, but I think you can look at them online ( can't quite remember) I'm blates team manc still.:thumb:
    my flatmate is here at plymouth doing your course, and i must say that he does get away with a lot, so i dont think they push you to the limits here! but is a really nice city, near the sea and the country, but with a few good clubs, and everything is really central, the uni and halls and other accommodation etc. not so good for live music unfortunatly. but a friendly place to bei have found.
    my flatmate is here at plymouth doing your course, and i must say that he does get away with a lot, so i dont think they push you to the limits here! but is a really nice city, near the sea and the country, but with a few good clubs, and everything is really central, the uni and halls and other accommodation etc. not so good for live music unfortunatly. but a friendly place to bei have found.

And the uni isn't that far away from the city centre.
    Atm it is:

Northumbria
    MMU
    Huddersfield
    Birmingham
    Warwick
    Plymouth

Birmingham and Warwick are my "high" choices. *shrug*. I don't mind if I get rejected by either, because I don't want to go to either, really ;o.
    Franki wrote:
    Birmingham and Warwick are my "high" choices. *shrug*. I don't mind if I get rejected by either, because I don't want to go to either, really ;o.

Well why not apply to just the ones you want to go to. I dont understand why you are applying to unis you dont want to go to. :confused:
    Well why not apply to just the ones you want to go to. I dont understand why you are applying to unis you dont want to go to. :confused:
    Because I know where I want to go, and the first three are the only ones I would really want to go to that aren't WELL out of my league/do my course (like, I would like to go to Durham or Edinburgh but neither do CW, and both are a bit high points-wise).

Plus I know I'll get rejected from Birmingham and Warwick, so I'm just putting them on there to keep my tutor happy.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    'Udders <3
    From what I remember, Warwick and MMU have the best reputation for CW courses out of the ones you've picked. That's independent of the student experience or the uni's reputation as a whole.

You've gotta be careful with CW courses generally though, cause some of them are bollocks. Make sure there's enough of a theoretical/critical side to the course, cause if you're just titting about writing poems for 3 years it won't be a great help to your future.

;)
    kaffrin wrote:
    From what I remember, Warwick and MMU have the best reputation for CW courses out of the ones you've picked. That's independent of the student experience or the uni's reputation as a whole.

You've gotta be careful with CW courses generally though, cause some of them are bollocks. Make sure there's enough of a theoretical/critical side to the course, cause if you're just titting about writing poems for 3 years it won't be a great help to your future.

;)
    I've read through all the course details and things so :thumb:.

Btw - I have bought Hollypup some biscuits, I just keep forgetting to post them >.<. I will try and remember by Saturday though!
    Franki wrote:
    Btw - I have bought Hollypup some biscuits, I just keep forgetting to post them >.<. I will try and remember by Saturday though!

Bless you.

She's on her jollies at the moment though! Getting special treatment off all the kennel staff, the soppy buggers. :heart:
    I know jack shit about Northumbria's undergrad CW course, but my mam did an MA in creative writing at the Uni and she absolutely loved it - and she is notoriously difficult to please. Very high standards and taught by some people who even I (!) had heard of :razz:
    briggi wrote:
    I know jack shit about Northumbria's undergrad CW course, but my mam did an MA in creative writing at the Uni and she absolutely loved it - and she is notoriously difficult to please. Very high standards and taught by some people who even I (!) had heard of :razz:

Dick King Smith?

:heart:
    Yeah, you can always reject Warwick even if they don't reject you, you don't have to take your best offers either. I rejected everyone except UCL (I applied there twice, for 2 different archaeology courses, and got one low and one high offer - I wasn't just being presumptuous!)

The only thing I would say, is that if Brum and Warwick are taking up space on your form that would be better filled with places you actually want to go, stand up to your tutor and get it changed.
    They aren't, though. So I don't mind really. Plus it would be good to know I could go there if I wanted to ;o.