Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

screwing up my final year....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
hey guys

am in my final year now at uni and it is not going well at all. for starters the old depression reared its ugly head so im feeling like shit....secondly im sooo stressed out because of lack of work/motivation due to said depression so i wasnt sleeping properly...that fucked up my attendance at lectures cos i was too tired. and thirdly ive had sodding freshers flu for over 2 weeks which i swear gets worse everyday no matter how many beechams/lemsip/strepsils etc i put down my throat.

so all of these little factors have combined to make me possibly the worst final year student ive ever come across. it's sodding thursday and i have not been to one class all week. people are starting to get cross, but because none of my friends know about the mental side of my problems, they just joke that im lazy and i swear it's getting back to the lecturers. i just want to do well this year, but it's just not happening. luckily ive had no assessed work due in yet, but it's coming soon. what shall i do?!

i have been to the doctors and i got given sleeping pills and had the dose of my anto depressant changed...should i get a note? and i guess i should let all my lecturers know, but it's easier said than done. argh, i hate this. thoughts/advice?!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    final year studying what?
  • Options
    Get over to your tutor now.

They will tell you what you need to do, whether you need a note, who you need to tell and come up with a strategy to make the best of things.
  • Options
    nottingham uni or nottingham trent?

just wondering...if it's nottingham uni then i'm guessing you're under alot more pressure to do well as it's one of the top unis?
  • Options
    thanks guys, im at nottingham uni studying russian. have emailed my tutor and asked for an appointment...she better be nicer to me than she usually is. i have a voice like madge from neighbours so at least she'll see that i am actually sick!
  • Options
    talk to your uni - they'll probably (hopefully) be more understanding than you think they'll be. i too have just started my final year (booo!) and have missed a week or so all together due to health problems. i e-mailed the head of the department explaining and she was very understanding and said if i missed any lectures/seminars to let her know and she'd get me notes etc. i should also keep any hospital/doctors letters because my problem is an ongoing one that just gets worse from time to time - this means i might be able to claim for mitegating circumstances if i end up having more time off.

and most importantly, you're not gonna fail 'cause you messed up the first few weeks. now is the time to sort the problem out before it's too late.
  • Options
    Universities will be understanding if you are having trouble, because it isn't in their interests to see you fail.

I had a nervous breakdown in my final year and didn't submit a dissertation, but still got through it (I got 65% for the dissertation).
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    You will be fine, its only October, you have plenty of time to catch up.
    dont stress and concentrate on getting better quickly! :)
  • Options
    I'm final year Russian too - what modules are you doing? (Just out of interest.)

The other day I was really struggling to understand a text, I e-mailed the course tutor and said straight out "It's too hard, I can't do it, can you help at all?" And he helped. If you're having difficulties it's far better to just tell your lecturers straight out, otherwise they're not going to know and can't offer you any help. I know at my university that if someone's genuinely interested in learning then the tutors are always happy to give them some of their time - I hope yours are like that too!
  • Options
    WOW! this stuff amazes me. My (old) uni has a four stikes and you're out policy, as in - miss four lectures in a semester and you are off the course nad out on your ear... WNAKERS

anyway, on a more positive note: you have come SO far! seriously! and you are coping the best you can in difficult circumstances. See your tutor and see yoru doctor. Your tutoe can help you sort out uni circs and your doc can help you sort out your mental health, which is obviously going downhill. Don't let yourself fall into a negative thought pattern, or worry that you 'ought' to be 'better' because you are on meds... maybe a change of meds are in order, or some talk-based therapy or something, but mental health issues are REAL. I've seen it happen... to loved ones... to a dead one... Whilst you recognise that this current you isn't you, get some help...
  • Options
    thanks guys, im at nottingham uni studying russian. have emailed my tutor and asked for an appointment...she better be nicer to me than she usually is. i have a voice like madge from neighbours so at least she'll see that i am actually sick!
    your tutor will probably just tell you to get your arse over to your gp / uni cuntselling service.
    and yes, definitly make sure you get a medical note from a doctor.
  • Options
    Your tutor isn't there to actually sort out any mental health problems you may be having, or to counsel you; just to point you in the direction of people who can help and help you deal with the university.