Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hand luggage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Does anyone know what the rules are on hand luggage? I'm flying to florida on the 4th and need to know what i can take on the plane.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Go and check the airlines website...?
  • Options
    normal size but they will check you about 4 times that it is before you get to the gate.

no liquids or Jells - this includes things like make up and lipsalve - customers not travelling to the US can purchase these after securtiy those going to the US cant'. You will also have an additional security check at the gate and wear shoes which you can take on and off easily as you will probably need to do this at least twice if not more times.

You'll also get asked lots of questions about any electrical items you have with you by a very moody person whilst your in teh check in que.

But check with your airline.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    normal size but they will check you about 4 times that it is before you get to the gate.

no liquids or Jells - this includes things like make up and lipsalve - customers not travelling to the US can purchase these after securtiy those going to the US cant'. You will also have an additional security check at the gate and wear shoes which you can take on and off easily as you will probably need to do this at least twice if not more times.

You'll also get asked lots of questions about any electrical items you have with you by a very moody person whilst your in teh check in que.

But check with your airline.
    ok cool...i take it the threat level is still at severe then? I looked at the airline webbie and they weren't clear, so i checked the airport and that exlplained a bit more but not much.

They'll want blood and urine samples aswell lol
  • Options
    Flying out is still strict, flying in not so bad, but maybe from America it'll be different because they've gone all-out on the terror threat and banned everything, even stuff bought in the boarding area.

Here's the link to BA's latest hand baggage rules - it's likely to be a blanket rule because when they do most of the security checks they aren't really interested in what airline you're flying with.
    https://lfn.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/lfn.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2355&p_created=1155215804&p_sid=N5sz*Fii&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD03JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1
  • Options
    last time i flew to the states was nearly 3 years ago - they were only really fussed about you bringing opened food in, and had this dog go round everyones bags when we got off the plane

first time i flew in 2000 it was so easy....they let us go into the cockpit and everything

i'm flying with virgin btw

eta: the threat level is still severe....:( i dunno if that's a good or bad thing lol
  • Options
    Its probably a good thing as it means they will be checkign more thoroughly. But it also means that its very annoying. BA has different rules from the US airlines im not sure about virgin.

My flight back from Atlanta last month was delayed by an hour due to the secondary checks at the gate - excellent and all the americans laughed at me because i asked if it was OK to take Taffy on board (it was btw but i'm not sure if it was on the way out of the UK)
  • Options
    well last time we had a 24 hour delay returning home, cause there was something wrong with the navigation system and they had to have a replacement shipped in as there weren't any at the airport and no spare jumbo jets! So i think i can cope with slight delays :p

(it's the only reason we're going again cause we got offered half price flights as compensation)
  • Options
    When my family flew last week they wanted proof that any medication was essential on the flight also. This included inhalers, and my dad's heart medication.

I don't really know what they had to do, but only have essential medicines on you. They only went to Spain, but I can imagine it's going to be just as strict (if not stricter!) to the USA :)

ETA: My sister claims they made her take both of her inhalers. I wouldn't trust this story though, she's 5.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    I'm starting to think I'm getting off lightly

I'll have a look at work for the new hand baggage size regulations tomorrow (I could go look at my red notices but it would mean leafing through lots of bollocks first). As far as I'm aware the security threat is still severe (rather than critical, although I was rather enjoying the no hand baggage rules :D )

They're still saying one piece of hang baggage per person I know that much, and even if it's just a tiny hang bag then thats going to count as your one piece

Security on flights to the US were a nightmare anyway before all this bollocks kicked off and now its just stupid. The ruling at the minute is that you can't take liquids airside (although there's ways and means of getting your lipgloss/lighter through) but you can shop freely airside, however on the US flights no liquids are permitted at all!
    i bet the no hand luggage was bliss!! do you fly to the US alot then? Or do you just get stuck on any flight?