Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Royal Mail - Twats

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It does sound like it's them rather than Royal Mail, if you're getting the rest of your post ok. I realise you've probably done it, but have you double checked the address they are sending it to?

HIT, if you went into McDs and ordered a meal and were 2p short would you expect them to give you it anyway? Probably not.

At least Royal Mail were good enough to return it to you rather than just bin it, so you know that it never got there. It will have been opened because if something is posted with insufficient funding it almost gets delivered and the person receiving it then gets the choice to pay to get it, or to send it back. The people you were applying to probably checked it wasn't anything they needed and then rejected it, so it was returned to you. It wasn't Royal Mail that opened it, it was the people you were applying to for a job.
    They returned it nearly a month later, as good as binned as the job wasn't available no more.

You cant compare stuffing your face with shit to someone being unemployed desperately looking for work. That was just 2 fucking pence, it wasn't a pound or it didn't have a stamp whatnot. Its the fact they sent it back opened, knowing full well what and how important it was.

Perhaps if they rang me as they would have seen my number I could have rushed up with my loose change. I didnt know MY letter was stopped. Where in MC. D you do know if your money short there and then!
    HIT wrote:
    They returned it nearly a month later, as good as binned as the job wasn't available no more.

You cant compare stuffing your face with shit to someone being unemployed desperately looking for work. That was just 2 fucking pence, it wasn't a pound or it didn't have a stamp whatnot. Its the fact they sent it back opened, knowing full well what and how important it was.

Yes, but as Scary pointed out it would have been the company that opened it and chose to return it to you, not Royal Mail. And underpaying postage is underpaying postage, whichever way you look at it, 2 pence or £2. Why should they break the rules for you?
    Royal Mail won't have known what it was, they will have got it to a post office near to where you addressed it, sent them a note saying that they had an underpaid package and waited for them to turn up and deal with it. When they did, the company you sent it to will have asked to see it, opened it, found it was of no significance to them, and given it back. It will then have drifted it's way back to you.

There's a lesson to learn here, if you're posting something important then make extra sure you've got the postage right. It won't have made a good impression to the people you were applying to that you can't even post an application form properly.
    Yes, but as Scary pointed out it would have been the company that opened it and chose to return it to you, not Royal Mail. And underpaying postage is underpaying postage, whichever way you look at it, 2 pence or £2. Why should they break the rules for you?
    Royal mail dont send unpaid letters ffs. They didn't send it to the company and the company didn't send it back. Royal mail kept it, it has a royal mail sticker and details over it.

I'm saying as they had no need to open MY letter, but did anyway and saw it was an application form for work, I would have thought they would had been lenient as they knew what the letter was.
    Royal Mail won't have known what it was, they will have got it to a post office near to where you addressed it, sent them a note saying that they had an underpaid package and waited for them to turn up and deal with it. When they did, the company you sent it to will have asked to see it, opened it, found it was of no significance to them, and given it back. It will then have drifted it's way back to you.

But it wasnt noted. Theres an option for this where the company can refuse to accept. All that was marked was it didnt have package paid NOT that it was refused, and to me thats what matter.
    HIT wrote:
    Royal mail dont send unpaid letters ffs. They didn't send it to the company and the company didn't send it back. Royal mail kept it, it has a royal mail sticker and details over it.

I'm saying as they had no need to open MY letter, but did anyway and saw it was an application form for work, I would have thought they would had been lenient as they knew what the letter was.

No, Royal Mail withold them at the depot and send a note to the company to collect it. It would have had stickers and details all over it from Royal Mail if they had accepted it too, my underpaid postage stuff has done in the past.

I still don't see why you expect leniency, hundreds of people apply for jobs every day, why are you so special? Royal Mail aren't there to decide how worthy your mail is, they are there deliver it. If you don't pay fully for the service, don't expect to receive it.
    No, Royal Mail withold them at the depot and send a note to the company to collect it. It would have had stickers and details all over it from Royal Mail if they had accepted it too, my underpaid postage stuff has done in the past.

I still don't see why you expect leniency, hundreds of people apply for jobs every day, why are you so special? Royal Mail aren't there to decide how worthy your mail is, they are there deliver it. If you don't pay fully for the service, don't expect to receive it.
    But it didnt have checked reciever rufused, only it was unpaid.

Why dont I expect my letters to be opened when theres no need? :confused:
    You're getting confused.

'Receiver refused' is when postage has been properly paid and the package gets delivered to the address on the front of the package and when it gets there someone meets the postman and says thank you very much I don't want to take that package.

Underpaid postage is different. It's been put in the post and by accident it has insufficient postage, so Royal Mail take it to the depot nearest to where it's addressed to in the hope that the recepient wants to receive it.

The recipient can then open the letter (it's addressed to them) and make their decision.

IF they say yes, then they pay the lacking postage and an admin charge (50p I think) and toddle of with their letter.

IF they say no, they leave the opened letter with Royal Mail who then attempt to return to sender. It will be covered with Royal Mail stickers but it won't be them who have opened it. It comes under the 'unpaid' category rather than 'receiver refused' because the over riding reason was the under paying rather than the refusal, it was refused because it was underpaid and they didn't fancy paying for it.
    You're getting confused.

'Receiver refused' is when postage has been properly paid and the package gets delivered to the address on the front of the package and when it gets there someone meets the postman and says thank you very much I don't want to take that package.

Underpaid postage is different. It's been put in the post and by accident it has insufficient postage, so Royal Mail take it to the depot nearest to where it's addressed to in the hope that the recepient wants to receive it.

The recipient can then open the letter (it's addressed to them) and make their decision.

IF they say yes, then they pay the lacking postage and an admin charge (50p I think) and toddle of with their letter.

IF they say no, they leave the opened letter with Royal Mail who then attempt to return to sender. It will be covered with Royal Mail stickers but it won't be them who have opened it. It comes under the 'unpaid' category rather than 'receiver refused' because the over riding reason was the under paying rather than the refusal, it was refused because it was underpaid and they didn't fancy paying for it.
    Your getting confused. Unless I sent it via recorded delivery what reason would they have to refuse this specific letter?

It doesn't work like that either, the receiver cant just open a letter and decied if they fancy keeping it or not, or everyone would do that. The receiver wants to know whats inside the letter, they would payed for it to see.

It was checked not enough postage, so why did they open my letter? Unless the receiver had paid the remainder, or my address wasn't present on the back, there was no need to open my letter. And why didnt they send it back asap? Instead of nearly a month later.

We'll see what they say when they reply to my complaint. Unless they refuse to recieve that.
    You can get a mcdonalds if you're 2p short :confused: just go 'oh sorry' and the person will say 'whatever' and give it you anyway :D.
    HIT wrote:
    Your getting confused.

No I'm not.
    Unless I sent it via recorded delivery what reason would they have to refuse this specific letter?

Because like I said earlier, unlike the rest of their post, they would have had to pay to keep your one since it was underpaid.
    It doesn't work like that either, the receiver cant just open a letter and decied if they fancy keeping it or not, or everyone would do that. The receiver wants to know whats inside the letter, they would payed for it to see.

It does work like that for under paid items. If the receiver wants it, they have to pay the extra postage required, so obviously most people will only do that if they really want the item being posted to them. SO when they take their little slip down to the post office the conversation goes a bit like this:

'I got note saying there's an underpaid letter waiting for me'

the little man in the post office says

'Here it is, it's 52p if you want to keep it'

Customer 'I'll see what it is'

LMITPO 'Here you go, since it's addressed to you you can open it'

C 'Hmm, some application form, don't really want to pay to keep that, and don't really want anyone that can't post things properly, so no thank you, I won't pay to keep it, you have it back.'

LMITPO 'I'll return to sender as underpaid postage then.'
    It was checked not enough postage, so why did they open my letter? Unless the receiver had paid the remainder, or my address wasn't present on the back, there was no need to open my letter.

The receiver would have opened your letter (as in the script above) to see what it was they would have to pay for.
    And why didnt they send it back asap? Instead of nearly a month later.

Why would they send it back asap? It wasn't properly paid for so hardly deserves priority.
    We'll see what they say when they reply to my complaint. Unless they refuse to recieve that.

Probably that you were a plonker for not paying postage properly, but that they are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

PS. Please learn the difference between your and you're
    No I'm not.
    Misguieded then.
    Because like I said earlier, unlike the rest of their post, they would have had to pay to keep your one since it was underpaid.

Yes, but they wouldnt have been able to see the contents of the letter unless they paid for it.
    It does work like that for under paid items. If the receiver wants it, they have to pay the extra postage required, so obviously most people will only do that if they really want the item being posted to them. SO when they take their little slip down to the post office the conversation goes a bit like this:

'I got note saying there's an underpaid letter waiting for me'

the little man in the post office says

'Here it is, it's 52p if you want to keep it'

Customer 'I'll see what it is'

LMITPO 'Here you go, since it's addressed to you you can open it'

C 'Hmm, some application form, don't really want to pay to keep that, and don't really want anyone that can't post things properly, so no thank you, I won't pay to keep it, you have it back.'

LMITPO 'I'll return to sender as underpaid postage then.'
    No really the role play isnt like that. Until they pay and sign for the letter is when they are allowed to open it, not before they sign.
    The receiver would have opened your letter (as in the script above) to see what it was they would have to pay for.
    If they paid or signed for it, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to. You dont get it, once something is signed for, thats the only time it becomes there property. If they didnt want to pay the "LMITPO" as you put it wouldn't have handed it over to them anyway.

Why would they send it back asap? It wasn't properly paid for so hardly deserves priority.
    Oh so I delibritly sent it unpaid now did I? :rolleyes:

FFS there not going to hold back for nearly two months (thats right I re checked the date sent 13/10/06) just because I was two pence short.

Probably that you were a plonker for not paying postage properly, but that they are sorry for any inconvenience caused.
    Yeah, thats right everyone that sends an A5 envelope with a few pages in it and only uses one first class stamp, that's ONLY 2p under postage is a plonker. It must be hard being the only intelligent person around.
    PS. Please learn the difference between your and you're
    Is that an attempt to try and make me look like an idiot? I think your ideology of thinking people can just take things that arnt there property without paying and signing for it, is idiotic.

I cant stand people like you that bable stuff and when your told it isnt true you attempt insults. So stop postin if its really getting to you.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    HIT wrote:
    Your getting confused. Unless I sent it via recorded delivery what reason would they have to refuse this specific letter?

It was checked not enough postage, so why did they open my letter? Unless the receiver had paid the remainder, or my address wasn't present on the back, there was no need to open my letter. And why didnt they send it back asap? Instead of nearly a month later.

The receiver can open it and decide if they want to pay the additional postage to keep the item. If they have received an application form with insufficient postage then I would assume they sent it back to you because you couldn't be bothered to check that the postage was correct. Why should they even contemplate interviewing you if you are not passionate about the job to make sure that the postage is correct. You are already costing the company money?

At the end of the day, you were in the wrong. The company opened your letter to find out whether it was worth paying the money (the 2p plus admin costs - I think it's £1), Royal Mail sent it back to you. The end.

Sorry it's harsh, but it's the reality of the situation.
    The receiver can open it and decide if they want to pay the additional postage to keep the item. If they have received an application form with insufficient postage then I would assume they sent it back to you because you couldn't be bothered to check that the postage was correct. Why should they even contemplate interviewing you if you are not passionate about the job to make sure that the postage is correct. You are already costing the company money?

At the end of the day, you were in the wrong. The company opened your letter to find out whether it was worth paying the money (the 2p plus admin costs - I think it's £1), Royal Mail sent it back to you. The end.

Sorry it's harsh, but it's the reality of the situation.
    They are NOT allowed to open the letter unless they have signed for it. PERIOD! Its property of the royal mail until they pay and sign. NO the company DID NOT open my letter otherwise it would have said on the Royal mail label.

FFS get of my fucking case about "couldn't be bothered to check", check what? An A5 envelope with a few pages in my eyes and most others wouldn't cost more than 1 first class stamp. It was only 2 pence not a pound 2 pence. Thats stupid saying I didn't bother checking when I am out only 2 pence. Gees.
    I think you'll find that for bog standard underpaid post you get the choice of paying for it after you've found out what it is, it's not always offered like that, but you can definitely ask.

That's the case both for both the post offices that deal with the places I have worked and the one for my house.

As for them keeping it for so long, it will have been dealt with as 2nd class post on it's journey out, then waited in the depot until the company came to see it (which was probably for a couple of weeks, we always waited 'til the time limit before going to check anything that way we'd accumulate other stuff to do at the post office in the meantime), and then it would have been put in the return to sender heap and returned to you as second class post.

It's harsh, but it's a commercial company, not your nanny.
    Can you clarify why they would have had to sign for your letter?
    Can you clarify why they would have had to sign for your letter?
    To verify they are the recievers and that they have recieved the goods.
    HIT wrote:
    They are NOT allowed to open the letter unless they have signed for it. PERIOD! Its property of the royal mail until they pay and sign. NO the company DID NOT open my letter otherwise it would have said on the Royal mail label.

Then, if the company didn't open it, RM opened it to see who sent it because the company didn't come to pick it up. That will also be why it took a month to be sent back. The company didn't come and collect it so it went back to you.
    FFS get of my fucking case about "couldn't be bothered to check", check what? An A5 envelope with a few pages in my eyes and most others wouldn't cost more than 1 first class stamp. It was only 2 pence not a pound 2 pence. Thats stupid saying I didn't bother checking when I am out only 2 pence. Gees.

If I was applying for a job (which I have been doing recently) then I would *always* check the weight of the application form. More often than not it weighs more than you think. The 100g is only a few sheets of paper. The company would see it as laziness IMHO. Some application forms that I have filled out pointed out that we should check postage otherwise they will reject out application. It was tardiness. And would've cost the company that extra pound.
    Then, if the company didn't open it, RM opened it to see who sent it because the company didn't come to pick it up. That will also be why it took a month to be sent back. The company didn't come and collect it so it went back to you.
    As I said before, I always write return details on the back of the envelope in case there's ever a problem.

Below is the app. form I sent. Obviously I'm not going to snap the front of it with my details etc. Its 3 A4 pages, weighs about the same if not less than a card. Folded in a A5 envelope, who would say it take 2 stamps?
    HIT wrote:
    Folded in a A5 envelope, who would say it take 2 stamps?

Obviously, Royal Mail :p
    Hmmph that's unusual. I normally just stick the one stamp on anything and it gets there. If it's dubious (like a large parcel or something) then I just get the man to weigh it.

Tough luck :)
    Hmmph that's unusual. I normally just stick the one stamp on anything and it gets there. If it's dubious (like a large parcel or something) then I just get the man to weigh it.

Tough luck :)
    Well it is going to be tough luck if more applications get returned. I'm going to be fucked left, right and centre. The longer I'm out of work the more of my savings go down.
    HIT wrote:
    To verify they are the recievers and that they have recieved the goods.

Which obviously happens all the time for regular post....? :banghead:
    Which obviously happens all the time for regular post....? :banghead:
    NO. Regular posts goes straight to the sender. The letter was stopped, its now Royal mails property, if the company wants to see it they will have to pay for it and sign it out, if not it gets sent back to the sender.

Its funny your the only one that still hasn't 'cottoned on' yet, perhaps banging your head like that will knock some brain cells back in, or give you a nasty headache so you dont keep posting the same incorrect crap.
    HIT wrote:
    Its funny your the only one that still hasn't 'cottoned on' yet, perhaps banging your head like that will knock some brain cells back in, or give you a nasty headache so you dont keep posting the same incorrect crap.

Funnily enough, you seem to be the only one under a different impression of how the system works to the rest of us.
    Funnily enough, you seem to be the only one under a different impression of how the system works to the rest of us.
    Well do you think that people will start handing out there property without paying for it?

Or are you the 'sheep' that follow everyone else.

So enlighten me oh great one on how it works. (This should be fun)
    HIT wrote:
    Well do you think that people will start handing out there property without paying for it?

Or are you the 'sheep' that follow everyone else.

So enlighten me oh great one on how it works. (This should be fun)

How am I a 'sheep'?

Perhaps if you read the thread with a mind open to an explanation other than your one you might see how it works. I'm not explaining it again, its rather like trying to explain something to a brick wall and I don't have the time, I have to go to work. That and I'm currently left with the feeling that I might get more sense out of a brick wall, which is never an incentive to carry one.

Thank you for recognising my greatness though, its very decent of you :)
    As far as I am aware you cannot look in a letter to see if it worth paying the postage for the sender. The Royal Mail will tell you who sent it if they know, and its up to you to decide if you want it. You only get given the envelope when you pay.

Most companies will not pay for underpaid postage as most big companies send out pre-paid envelopes for stuff they need or want.

Royal Mail will open the envelope if they cannot see a return address on the envelope, in order to work out who to return the letter to, and you give them the right to do so when you post the letter. Sometimes the postal staff miss the return address on the envelope and open the letter.

Royal Mail will not deliver an underpaid letter because you haven't paid for them to do so. Quite rightly too, I reckon.
    Kermit wrote:
    As far as I am aware you cannot look in a letter to see if it worth paying the postage for the sender. The Royal Mail will tell you who sent it if they know, and its up to you to decide if you want it. You only get given the envelope when you pay.

Most companies will not pay for underpaid postage as most big companies send out pre-paid envelopes for stuff they need or want.

Royal Mail will open the envelope if they cannot see a return address on the envelope, in order to work out who to return the letter to, and you give them the right to do so when you post the letter. Sometimes the postal staff miss the return address on the envelope and open the letter.

Royal Mail will not deliver an underpaid letter because you haven't paid for them to do so. Quite rightly too, I reckon.
    I dont think they should have looked in the letter, and as they did they could atleast of sent it off. Well we will see as I have complained, tbh I cant see how 3 pages folded into an a5 envelope costs more than a first class stamp.
    How am I a 'sheep'?

Perhaps if you read the thread with a mind open to an explanation other than your one you might see how it works. I'm not explaining it again, its rather like trying to explain something to a brick wall and I don't have the time, I have to go to work. That and I'm currently left with the feeling that I might get more sense out of a brick wall, which is never an incentive to carry one.

Thank you for recognising my greatness though, its very decent of you :)
    Go and talk to a brick wall, who knows, in your mind it may talk back. lol
    HIT wrote:
    I dont think they should have looked in the letter, and as they did they could atleast of sent it off.

They are allowed to, and you agree to that term of postage- how else are they supposed to return to sender?

You didn't pay enough, so instead of ballaching about it, you should put the right postage on it next time. Hopefully RM tell you to piss off with your complaint. It isn't their fault you don't know how to put the right stamp on an envelope.
    tbh I cant see how 3 pages folded into an a5 envelope costs more than a first class stamp.

If the envelope was stuffed full then it will be too thick for the lowest 1st class price.