Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Time to make trade unions financially responsible for their actions?

Stagecoach in Newcastle drivers have today gone on the first of a series of one-day strikes over pay, because they feel that the pay deal offered is a "disgrace". This pay deal was for a 12% increase in drivers' salaries, which of course is over four times the rate of inflation.

Because all the bus drivers have gone on strike, anyone who has to use the bus to get to work has been unable to do so. Stagecoach have used managers and drivers from other depots to try and run a skeleton service (and to anyone who crossed the picket line I express my sincerest praise), but this has not worked. I have been left out of pocket by this action to the tune of £10, but fortunately I can drive and was able to get to work today.

It is now time, surely, for these people to become financially responsible for the losses of their customers. The TGWU's striking members should be made personally responsible for every single penny that has been lost by Stagecoach and any of the other 250,000 people in this city that have been seriously inconvenienced by this action. There are consequences to actions and it is now time that these striking drivers realise that- they should have to reimburse me my costs, and they should have to reimburse everyone who incurred any cost because of their actions.

It's a shame its illegal to sack them, to be quite honest. It's a real shame Blair doesn't dare finish what thatcher started; I really hope Cameron destroys the Trade Unions and the militant filth in them once and for all. Although I don't attach too much blame to the TGWU in this case as their regional organiser recommended that the pay offer should be accepted, it is only fair and right that the people responsible for this are made to pay.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The aim of strikes is to cause inconvinience - it doesn't work otherwise. Now the drivers may be being greedy (though I don't know the background so I don't know), but it seems a perfectly legal strike. After all its the aim of the union to get the best deal possible for its members, not to make sure you get to work.
  • Options
    Was your dog run over by a bus when you were a kid or something?
  • Options
  • Options
    The point is that the Union recommended that its members accept the pay offer.

But I assume it was put to a vote and local members rejected the Unions recommendation. That's the will of the majority, so the union has to go along with it.
  • Options
    It was put to a vote, and the drivers are being greedy.

They run a public service and should really be barred from striking. I have yet to hear a good reason why strikers shouldn't be responsible for the financial losses of everyone concerned, though- it would certainly curb the greed and selfishness of the filth that drive for Stagecoach up here.
  • Options
    Didn't I give you a good reason in that strikes are supposed to cause inconvinience so as to put pressure on the employers? It wouldn't be much of a strike if everytime they had one they had to pay everyone effected by it £10.
  • Options
    How much are their wages before the rise?
  • Options
    That's not really my concern.

Public servants have a responsibility to the public, and if they don't discharge that because of avarice then they should have to pay for it.

I have to admit that its the greed in this case that pisses me off- when Unison went on strike over the local government pensions issue the Metro didn't run, and that was something I sympathised with.

A Stagecoach driver on basic wage earns about £7 an hour- not bad for what is essentially an unskilled job.
  • Options
    £7ph is a little shit for what they do and abuse they have to put up with from the general public. But the pay rise they have been offered seems extremely generous, I can't see how they can turn their noses up at it.
  • Options
    Don't be silly. Bus drivers get, "return to town please mate" and "cheers" at the other end. At worst the manners are left out. They drive round and round in circles it's hardly challenging. 4 times inflation is a huge pay rise. I agree with kermit, they're being greedy, and should get fuck all.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It was put to a vote, and the drivers are being greedy.

They run a public service and should really be barred from striking.
    Only if that public service was run by the local government, instead of a private business (and a particularly odious, incompetent and greedy one at that).

Drivers might be being greedy in this case- I'd like to know more about the case, including how much they were getting. But if they are greedy, perhaps they were influenced by working by for one of the most appalling, yet bursting-with-cash profeteering racket companies in the land.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Don't be silly. Bus drivers get, "return to town please mate" and "cheers" at the other end. At worst the manners are left out. They drive round and round in circles it's hardly challenging. 4 times inflation is a huge pay rise. I agree with kermit, they're being greedy, and should get fuck all.
    Mind who you are telling not to be silly, missus.

It must be different where I live then. Some streets buses are banned going down after 8pm and some buses can't go down any streets - due to the amount of violence and abuse they receive. And school times are a total nightmare in some places round here, windows being smashed, eggs thrown, screaming and shouting.
    I couldn't stand any of the crap they have.
    Yes they may be greedy but they deserve a little more than 7ph, they are fools to turn their nose up at what they have been offered. So I half agree.
  • Options
    I personally just stand by the "get rid of all trade unions" stance! I never liked the idea of them studying business at school and i never liked the history of them or their actions, even today when their powers have been stripped.
  • Options
    well if its such an easy job and you could easily live without them, its no skin off your nose if they strike is it?

I fully support the right to strike, and trade unions should have more power.
    Too many workers rights have been eroded and eroded.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Only if that public service was run by the local government, instead of a private business (and a particularly odious, incompetent and greedy one at that).

I quite agree on that- the Metro in Tyne and Wear is still run by local government (which is why it shut down during the local government strike), and it is a fantastic service.
    Drivers might be being greedy in this case- I'd like to know more about the case, including how much they were getting.

The GMB drivers in Sunderland (which is the same company, just a different depot) accepted the same deal, and the TGWU themselves advised acceptance of this deal. It's pure greed, nothing more and nothing less. Goes to show just how little the drivers care about everyone else though- which is something I've been saying for years. Selfish greedy cunts.

Stagecoach should now revoke the deal and sack anyone who wasn't at work today.

The job is piss-easy, a monkey could do it (and Stagecoach prove this by hiring monkeys). But as I don't have a PCV licence I aren't allowed to drive a bus- I'd have been across that picket line in a flash if I could.

Maybe I'd have more sympathy with the greedy fucks if they weren't earning more than me, and causing me to waste more of the money I don't have. £7 is what a new starter gets- it goes up on length of service. And many of the drivers are there from when it was the employee buy-out of the PTE, so they get a nice big fat wedge out of those immoral and evil Stagecoach shares.
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    I personally just stand by the "get rid of all trade unions" stance!
    No, me neither. You would think anyone who says those words is a millionaire CEO of a multinational, rather than actually a worker.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Public servants

They're not public servants.
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    I personally just stand by the "get rid of all trade unions" stance! I never liked the idea of them studying business at school and i never liked the history of them or their actions, even today when their powers have been stripped.

You'd have been working a 16 hour day for pittance if it wasn't for trade unions.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    They're not public servants.

Er, yes they are. And they should be made responsible for the financial loss of the public- bankrupt a few of the greedy gibbons.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Er, yes they are. And they should be made responsible for the financial loss of the public- bankrupt a few of the greedy gibbons.

Stagecoach is a private company.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

all employees are technically public servants, since one way or the other the public has to deal with any changes that happens

if this countries company's didnt give x times inflation pay rises to their non-exec directors and directors, even when the companys have performed badly - id support you in that they're being greedy, but these companies do so i don't

bus services in cities outside of london tend to be crap anyway cause they get subsidised in areas to the point theres a glut of empty buses whilst more rural areas get no bus service at all
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Stagecoach is a private company.

And the bus routes are paid for by the government.

The staff are still responsible to the public, trying to fudge the issue isn't really relevant.
  • Options
    You're talking absolute bollocks Kermit.
  • Options
    Oh come on, try to get involved in the debate for once, or at least point out what you think is bollocks, otherwise you just look like you're looking for a fight, and a dull one at that.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're talking absolute bollocks Kermit.

Gonna elaborate further?

Stagecoach are nothing more than a contractor- they are still responsible to the PTE that pays for many of their routes.

Therefore Stagecoach and its staff are public servants, and the staff who fail to do their duty due to extreme avarice should be made to pay for it. I would sack the lot of them and then make them personally liable for every penny the PTE and the people of Newcastle have lost.

Why should I have to fork out £25 in parking charges just so that some greedy cunt who earns 20% more than I do can have a extra day off in the half-term holidays? Why isn't a 15.4% (for the longest servers) pay increase good enough for them? And what moral right to they have to blackmail and extort against the people of this city?

Stop being blind to Stagecoach (I'd happily see them gone too) and discuss the issue.
  • Options
    Kermit you can't sack them all because then you'd have nobody to drive the buses at all, and you'd have to pay the extra every day.
  • Options
    Kermit you can't sack them all because then you'd have nobody to drive the buses at all, and you'd have to pay the extra every day.

There are plenty of Poles;)

At least then I could plan for it- I'd get a Metro pass instead.
  • Options
    You'd be moaning that they were Polish sooner or later though!

Would it be more beneficial to you to get a Metro pass anyway? Then you wouldn't have to go on the bus, and thus would have a happy, stressfree travel to work ;)