Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

British adults 'fear youngsters'

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kind of on this subject:
    this made me so angry. I went to by a pint of milk and some chicken on saturday before i could even enter into the shop i was asked how old i was and if i had any ID. i asked why, and then the security guard told me that under 16's wernt allowed to enter the shop without a responcible adult. even though once i found ID i was allowed to go through, and that i am over that age limit, it still made me angry. i asked why they had this policy and then was told that they had had a few people coming in and stealing. so rather than getting the idividuals, they have banned a whole section from society. i left a formal complaint, and have been boycotting it since, but this is completly unfair. i'm now going to my MP to complain and see if he can do anything, but this seriously does prove that rather than getting the few problem kids, and thus sorting the problem, everyone is getting scared of a minorty of bad eggs...

That's totally out of order.
    How exactly do they expect that kind of treatment and generalising to help relationships between young people and older people improve?
  • Options
    That's completely out of order, but because its discrimination against youth nobody will do fuck all.

If you'd been barred because you were black the shopkeeper would rightly have been punished- this should be exactly the same.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    I think it's such a shame that the media only ever concentrate on the bad news, the rotten apples of society. It gives older people an unfairly stereotyped view of teens,
    I agree, its about time we had a few reports about the majority of well behaved teenagers. Whatever happened to boy scouts helping old ladys across the road? Perhaps a few stories about teens doing voluntary work would help.

As for the minority who do commit crime, they should be punished properly when they steal and vandalise. While I agree that hanging around drinking and smoking harms no-one but the teens themselves, anyone caught shoplifting or breaking and entering should be made to pay for any damage caused. This means of course that we need more police out on the streets.
  • Options
    Twisted Trinity-I'd consider going to the old bill bout this and get that cunt fired, Age Discrimination is now illegal in the UK so it's tantamount to calling you some racial or religious slur.
  • Options
    We are afraid of what we don't understand and we don't understand our kids because we just don't listen to them.

We start them on exams at the age of around 11, then more exams and more and more... If they misbehave they suddenly haver ADD and are zombified on Ritalin, or they are labelled as naughty kids, under achievers, misfits. The parents have to work so much that they don't have time to spend at home raising their children... So many people are so obsessed with pedophiles and criminals they won't let their kids out and stick them in front of a Playstation... Other people let their kids out, but then there's nothing for them to do.

I'm glad that I'm an adult, I'd hate to be a kid these days. There are a few children who need discipline, I'll admit that, but at the same time maybe if we talked to them then we'd understand their issues. The more we label kids as yobs and stereotype them, the more that stereotype will become true.

I am not afraid of young people at all, I've chased groups of them down the road for giving me shit. There are a few isolated incidents of violence but that's about it. Most will leg it, or get a bit gobby.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Twisted Trinity-I'd consider going to the old bill bout this and get that cunt fired, Age Discrimination is now illegal in the UK so it's tantamount to calling you some racial or religious slur.
    i'm going to the local MP, unfortunatly, the pigs said that because it's not public property, that they have the right to ban people under 16, and that they had their blessings...someone please tell me that they were completely wrong in doing so and that the action ASDA (annoying shits and discriminatory association) is taking is actually breaking the law?