Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

British adults 'fear youngsters'

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well what do you expect in Loughborough? :p

I don't think anyone is saying that they are scared of all kids but it is obviously rational to be more scared of teenagers than it is of most other age groups.

I have never been threatened or intimidated by anyone over the age of 40 so it would be silly to be scared of old or middle-aed people.

I have however been theratened, and know of many other people who have been threatened, by teenagers and am more wary of them as a result, that is just plain sense.

Not all kinds of teenagers obviously, just the townie scum kind that you can normally spot a mile off.......
  • Options
    Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will
    philander, you too will get old, and when you do you’ll fantasize
    that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were
    noble and children respected their elders.

http://www.farscapefantasy.com/videos/index.php?set=video&id=319

There's nothing new under the sun. Adults have always complained about the 'youth of today' and the 'youth of today' becomes the complaining adult of the future.

My adult self quails at my teenage self, and my teenage self probably would be shocked that I've become (at least semi-) respectable.
  • Options
    sucess is a state of mind!
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Well what do you expect in Loughborough? :p

You're telling me, it's a pit of depravity, a sink of crime, another metaphor of impressive sounding construction...
  • Options
    Thanks Thats my Hometown your talking about.
  • Options
    Please note, posts made by Fiend_85 often contain satire, sarcasm, irony, hyperbole, and many other types of humour utilising occasional insincerity to emphasise a point.

:p
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I don't think anyone is saying that they are scared of all kids but it is obviously rational to be more scared of teenagers than it is of most other age groups.
    About as rational of being afraid of muslims, because you've haven't heard of a non-muslim terrorist for a while.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Toadborg wrote:

Is it rational to be more scared of young black men than young white men?

After all young black men are statistically more likely to be involved in crime.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    :p

It does depend on where you are in loughborough though.
  • Options
    About as rational of being afraid of muslims, because you've haven't heard of a non-muslim terrorist for a while.

Only if you are scared of being involved in a terrorist incident which itself is irrational because the chances of that are so incredibly small.

Similarly to Skive, I don't know about the break down of statistics, it depends what kind of crime.

Like I said at an individual level everyone knows ( or ought to ) that the vast majority of individual people of any group are not a threat. But as a group I am not at all concerned by pensioners, and I am of teenagers and there is good reason for that......
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

After all young black men are statistically more likely to be involved in crime.

Yes, it is perfectly rational to be more scared of them. Especially now as it seems they are the ones most likely to be tooled up, and they are the ones mostly likely to use them on innocent people who dare to pull them up on their behaviour.

It doesn't mean that all young black men are knife-wielding maniacs, though.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

Are they actually involved in more crime, or do they just get caught more often?
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Are they actually involved in more crime, or do they just get caught more often?
    Exactly. They're just not as good at it. :p
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Young people have always been responsible for the majority of anti social crime - I don't see that it's changed enough to warrant people being scared of all young poeple. The major difference is how it's being reported and fueled by the media - for me that means it is an irrational fear.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    What if it is actually getting worse though? And it's not just rose tinted "in my day" shite?
  • Options
    Alot of elderly people are just really stubborn and stuck in their ways... loads of them detest the nation of Germany just because of the first and second world wars...urm people, get over it, the new generation of germans had nothing to do with it...
    Also, as Skive said, me and my mates used to hang around in the local park having smokes and drinking but we never gave any abuse to anyone, vanadlised, littered or fought, yet the locals were constantly calling the Police on us or driving past shouting out their car windows for us to "GO BACK TO SCHOOL" even though it was the summer holidays...dumb fucks. Oh, and when we reached 18 and we started going down the pub, the old locals didn't like us going in there either and tried to stare us out everytime we went to the bar...so where the FUCK are we meant to go?!?! True, there have been cases when youths have mugged elderly people but it is just a very small minority, they need to be more open minded.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    What if it is actually getting worse though? And it's not just rose tinted "in my day" shite?
    Things are getting worse- kids didn't stab people on the bus for telling them off for smoking 20 years ago, did they?

Most people aren't getting worse, but the risks are higher, especially in areas with a high immigrant population.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Things are getting worse- kids didn't stab people on the bus for telling them off for smoking 20 years ago, did they?

Yeah, they did.
  • Options
    So much of this depends on where you live, it's all subjective.

When I am at home in my village, there's quite a bit of vandalism that goes on, but nothing near the sort of thing that you might get in Newcastle, or Leeds or something. Also, live there long enough and all you have to do is look disapprovingly at them for long enough and they get embarrassed and wander off, doesn't work if you haven't known them since they were 4 years old though.

Honestly, I do find it threatening to walk past or through a big group of "young people", that's not through fear of being shot or stabbed, more about the verbal abuse that you are quite likely to get.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Most people aren't getting worse, but the risks are higher, especially in areas with a high immigrant population.

people have been killed over petty things before (think of the 1st world war), different day same shit tbh

if you look like you're fearful of crime you're more likely to be a target of abuse, same if you flash of something with a high value density like a mp3 player or mobile phone (there wasn't many portable things to be stolen before 1980) if you give the impression you think all teenagers are troublemakers, why should they behave when they'll still be given a curfew or an asbo for standing and talking to their mates as opposed to travelling to home/work/shops

i'd go as far to say most people are so wrapped up in their silly lives of work and shopping these days they wouldn't help a stranger in trouble cause it ''doesn't affect them so why should i care"

if you're scared of teenagers, don't blame them, it's your problem not theirs, everyone is too quick to pass the buck

and i can say this without some narrow minded twat saying 'you're a scrounging student' now cause i work and am not a teenager, but have to deal with children/teenagers everyday - be polite and people are polite back 99% of the time strangely (even 14 year olds!), treat them like crap and you get the same back....
  • Options
    "kids" hanging around on the street with a hoodie on or getting drunk in the bus shelter with one can of white lightening between them don't actually scare me. I can see how older people would find them intimidating, but personally they don't really bother me much. I've been called names by teenagers before, the usual crap "bitch" or "slag" and i just think how sad of them. They have nothing better to do than hang around a shop trying to intimidate people. I've also sat in front of some one on the bus who kicked my seat and set fire to the back.. i thought i could smell burning.

Very occasionally i'll cross the street to avoid teenagers who obviously are out to cause trouble, but usually only if i'm out with some one whom i'm protective of, such as my mother. I think if you walk by confidently, don't stare at them and avoid contact then your usually going to be ok. Yes there are a bad element out there, but the same was said of my generation when i was a teenager. I think it's such a shame that the media only ever concentrate on the bad news, the rotten apples of society. It gives older people an unfairly stereotyped view of teens, i was one once (believe it or not) and i was a hard working, polite and decent person.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    Very occasionally i'll cross the street to avoid teenagers who obviously are out to cause trouble, but usually only if i'm out with some one whom i'm protective of, such as my mother. I think if you walk by confidently, don't stare at them and avoid contact then your usually going to be ok.
    Lol, I usually look at their girlfriend and smile. There's nothing like eyeing up someone's girlfriend for showng that you're not intimidated and don't give a shit what they think.
  • Options
    Lol, I usually look at their girlfriend and smile. There's nothing like eyeing up someone's girlfriend for showng that you're not intimidated and don't give a shit what they think.

That`s your excuse is it ? :D
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    "We know, for example, young crime in itself has remained fairly static in the last 10 years - it is a minority that cause problems and retaliate.

"The demonisation of children and young people in some sections of the media and when politicians refer to youngsters as yobs - that breeds the actual fear."

:yes:

I completely agree, young people are constantly grouped together as yobs and as being anti-social. it is a small minority of young people that are actually like this. I have been part of the British Youth council's Respect I've put in a link to their website cause i think what they are doing is really good!!!!:) http://www.byc.org.uk/submenu.asp?id=3&menuid=12&subid=7
  • Options
    Hey hey hey Respect wasn't just BYC - it's YouthNet too!! :razz:
  • Options
    LucieLu wrote:
    Hey hey hey Respect wasn't just BYC - it's YouthNet too!! :razz:

Without being picky isn't Respect Tony Blair's (or George Galloway's).
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    "Respect?" is a YouthNet / BYC report and campaign published earlier this year (see Cathryn's link).

Skive - do you have any evidence to back up the idea that young people are mostly the ones responsible for antisocial behaviour?
  • Options
    The youth of today know the police are generally useless
    A whole gang of teenagers 2 weeks aog came to the town centre and robbed people of their phones at knife point at 4pm.

They even stabbed 2 boys.

There was 25 witnesses that came forward and loads of CCTV footage but the police have hardly done anything.
  • Options
    How do you know "the police have hardly done anything"?
  • Options
    kind of on this subject:
    this made me so angry. I went to by a pint of milk and some chicken on saturday before i could even enter into the shop i was asked how old i was and if i had any ID. i asked why, and then the security guard told me that under 16's wernt allowed to enter the shop without a responcible adult. even though once i found ID i was allowed to go through, and that i am over that age limit, it still made me angry. i asked why they had this policy and then was told that they had had a few people coming in and stealing. so rather than getting the idividuals, they have banned a whole section from society. i left a formal complaint, and have been boycotting it since, but this is completly unfair. i'm now going to my MP to complain and see if he can do anything, but this seriously does prove that rather than getting the few problem kids, and thus sorting the problem, everyone is getting scared of a minorty of bad eggs...