Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Who's breaking the law?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I believe an ex-girlfriend of mine has managed to find my address by obtaining my details from someone who works for my mobile phone network. Now I know the employee could be prosecuted over this but what about the ex? Is there anything I can do her with over this (other than stalking)?

Comments

• Options
    Now I know the employee could be prosecuted over this

Damn right, nail the twat. As for her, don't know.
  • Options
    If she paid for the information she can be done for conspiracy to defraud, as that would be bribing someone to gain sensitive information.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If she paid for the information she can be done for conspiracy to defraud, as that would be bribing someone to gain sensitive information.

Ok thanks, that might be something if I can prove money changed hands. If it was just a favour though, can she still be prosecuted for anything? She's a sly individual and I wouldn't put it past her to think something like that up.
  • Options
    If it was just a favour though, can she still be prosecuted for anything?

Data protection act ?
  • Options
    In my experience, it is best to leave the hell alone. Yes, she may have done you wrong and you should rotect yourself from her, by keeping all texts from her etc. But, it is probably counter productive to ty to get her prosecuted, keep your head up high, know that you are better then her, more on and let it all drop. Do show any threatening texts or letters to the police as well as reporting any threatening telephone calls etc- this will be your protection if anything further should happen, the police will have a reord of her behaviour. I really don;t think you'll gain much by trying to get her prosecuted though. Even though it robably doesn't seem fair, you might save yurself a lot of grief if you try your best to let things just die down... good luck
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Data protection act ?

Is regulated by the Information Commisioner's Office. They have a complaint procedure, which you can look up and follow through online. Although they (in my experience) are very nice people, they are concerened with the way in which companies behave with regard to data protection and are more likely to advise a company on future procedure to keep 'em inline than anything else. In fact, I don't think they have any 'power' to 'punish' individuals or companies at all... http://www.ico.gov.uk/