Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Truth or Happiness?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Plato's cave was to do with the idea that everything on this earth, every object and concept is but a poor reflection of some divine ideal.

Mmmmmmm.

If "EVERY object and concept is but a poor reflection of some divine ideal", then Plato has got to include his own idea that everything on this earth, every object and concept is but a poor reflection of some divine ideal in that absolute.

Go figure.
    who says the 2 are mutually exlclusive
    seeker wrote:
    Mmmmmmm.

If "EVERY object and concept is but a poor reflection of some divine ideal", then Plato has got to include his own idea that everything on this earth, every object and concept is but a poor reflection of some divine ideal in that absolute.

Go figure.

Precisely. The divine concept is so far beyond the grasp of the human imagination, even for a bright bloke like Plato, that nobody could possibly condense the diving thought into something vaguely tangible for humans. Thus Plato's idea is just another attempt by man to explain the world around him - a poor reflection of the divine idea for creating which is so beyond the plain of human comprehension that even if we were given it written down on a piece of paper, we still wouldn't understand it.

I like this thread. Can we have more philosophy threads instead of discussing boring politics like what's happening in some poor country on the other side of the world that has no bearing whatsoever on my life?
    a poor reflection of the divine idea for creating which is so beyond the plain of human comprehension that even if we were given it written down on a piece of paper, we still wouldn't understand it.

It appears to me that you are making the same "mistake" in your thinking as Plato.(Or maybe it`s my "mistake")

You state it as a "divine idea which is so beyond the plain of human comprehension"

Where do think that idea came from ?
    I like this thread. Can we have more philosophy threads instead of discussing boring politics like what's happening in some poor country on the other side of the world that has no bearing whatsoever on my life?

You have been "given" the right to start them anytime YOU please. At least I won`t stop you ;)