Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

knitting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can anyone here knit?

Is it easy to self teach? Does it take lots of practice or can you be good straight away?

Have you made anything good? (post pics!)

The reason i ask, is i want to teach myself to knit! May sound sad, but i want to knit everyone christmas presents this year because im too poor to buy things.

Comments

• Options
    knitting is quite easy but its easier for someone to teach you than to learn yourself, the diagrams are tres confusing. i can knit but i've forgotten how to cast on and cast off so i can't really do much. get an elderly relative to teach you, they are very patient and give you bags of old wool :yes:

eta: knitting is easy. following patterns is not. suggest you give everyone tablemats and scarves for xmas. maybe the odd tea cosy
  • Options
    I'm with kangoo on this. I can't cast on and cast off because I've forgotten, but my Mum taught me how to knit when I was a kid. So I'm pretty useless too.

I think kaffrin and little_missy are the best people to ask... for some reason I think they'd be more clued up on knitting than me!!
  • Options
    Knitting is dead easy, and very therapeutic. I agree that the diagrams in books can be really confusing, but due to the wonders of the internet, there is knittinghelp.com with free videos! It's much easier if you can watch and mimic the whole motion. I taught myself to knit from a 70s needlecraft book, and consequently hold my needles in a pretty unconventional way, but whatever works.

It can take time to get to grips with things such as patterns and colour and tension, but it varies from person to person. Some people are naturally better at such things. I've only been knitting 'properly' for about six months, and I can pretty much follow any pattern, but then I have been crocheting and sewing for yeeeeears and they're very similar skills.

Things I've finished are minimal. I tend to get half way through and get bored. However, I have done a world beating amount of swatches (including skull colourwork!), and finished one wristwarmer (the second is very nearly done!). I have about 10 projects on needles at the mo. One day I'll finish a full size garment!
  • Options
    My beginners' book - which I love, although I had to double check some techniques online because I can't handle diagrams and instructions for practical things - is Stitch n' Bitch.

There are loads of knitting groups around, too (also called Stitch n' Bitch, so they can be found by Googling that), which I reckon is a really awesome way of getting into it.

I've only made scarves so far because I'm trying to learn lots of different techniques that way before I embark on something ambitious. Plus, I usually knit when I'm on the tube or in meetings so need something that requires v. little concentration!

P.S. Don't bank on finishing more than one project in time for Christmas. It's not a tricky hobby but I find I'm quite slow simply because I have so little time in which to do it!
  • Options
    I've recently started teaching myself to knit... with a little bit of help from my mum and also the hobbycraft website.
    It's not too hard to get the hang of... but I think it'd take some time to get really good... unless you find you have a natural talent.
  • Options
    OMG kaffrin those gloves are amazing
  • Options
    I think crochet is easier... and faster.