Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tv licencing (again)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I'm a student, without a TV - just a computer without a TV card, but I can access www.bbc.co.uk via the net. Anyway, TV licence letter says:
TV people wrote:
Equipment which you need a licence to use includes:
  • Television - colour or black and white
  • Video or DVD recorder
  • Mobile phone
  • Set-top box
  • Computer

Then, "if you dont buy one there is a fine of up to £1000 plus legal costs .... our enforcement officers successfully caught 380,000 offenders last year"

So, £1000*380,000 = £380,000,000 = 12.93% of the BBCs annual income from consumers, and seeing as there are a lot of TV licences out of there, it seems ridiculous that a small proportion of people should pay so much.

So, if they come round my house, will I be fined because I own a computer that can access the internet?

Comments

• Options
    You only need a licence if you access TV, people read the news website from all over the world.

And you will notice the wording 'of up to £1000' as in they dont everyone that.
  • Options
    So, £1000*380,000 = £380,000,000 = 12.93% of the BBCs annual income from consumers, and seeing as there are a lot of TV licences out of there, it seems ridiculous that a small proportion of people should pay so much.
    Up to £1000, not £1000.
    So, if they come round my house, will I be fined because I own a computer that can access the internet?
    Guessing you mean TV. No, you need a TV licence to use the equipment as their website says, not to own it. And how would they find out? Actually, just re-read it and I'm guessing you actually meant what you wrote, and not my useless interpretation of it.

I think other people know how to get away with all that sort of stuff though.
  • Options
    It just seems a bit silly it's saying I need a licence for a mobile phone or a computer! And as for the £1000 bit, I was using a bit of creative licence with my rhetoric there to make a point :razz:
  • Options
    TV Licencing don't seem to be very quick to correct misinformation that results in people buying TV licences when they don't need them. The whole student accomodation seperate locks bollocks, for example.
  • Options
    You only need a television license if you receive a TV signal.

If you have a computer or TV that does not receive a signal, for whatever reason, then you do not need a license. Having a TV or computer that you only use to watch DVDs or videos is fine, you do not need a license for this.

Also bear in mind that TV Licensing officials have no right of access to your property, so they wouldn't know what you owned anyway.

Just to clarify, each separate residence does need a license- if you are in halls each room needs a license, and if you live in a shared house then you need a license if each room is let individually (unless the only TV is in a communal area).
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Also bear in mind that TV Licensing officials have no right of access to your property, so they wouldn't know what you owned anyway.
    What about when Currys blab to them about what you've just bought?
  • Options
    What about when Currys blab to them about what you've just bought?

How can they prove you used it to receive a TV signal? We had a telly for years without receiving a signal.

Most people are caught by allowing entry and admitting all to the officials because they are "authority". the best way of dealing with the robbing bastards is to tell them to go molest themselves.
  • Options
    Can they not tell when you're recieving a TV signal, then look and see that you bought a TV?
  • Options
    TV licensing people caught me out last year.

They were very sly. Buzzed my flat and said 'delivery for flat 12'. I unwittingly thought it was just a delivery for my flatmate and let them in. Next thing two TV liscensing cunts are at my door and my TV is switched on the background. No way out of that one.

They just asked me to get a license sorted though which was sweet therefore IMO you shouldn't bother getting one until they come round. Have a filled out form ready and if they come round just say you were in the process but hadn't got round to sending off the form yet. I got away with not having one for two years. If I had of had my wits about me, it would have been three.
  • Options
    Aye, they're good at catching people out, it was good of them to "let you off" considering they'd broken the law in gaining access to your flat.

If your TV can be seen from the road I wouldn't take the risk (our terrace is right on to the street) but if it can't there's little they can do.
  • Options
    So is it illegal to watch things you recorded off TV when you had a licence, if you don't have one any more?
  • Options
    They try and reckon that it is, but it isn't really.

If you receive a signal you need the licence. If you don't, you don't.
  • Options
    I thought banging on your door and not introducing themselves as officials or whatever would come under entrapment? Or am i wrong haha.
  • Options
    usb reciever?
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    I thought banging on your door and not introducing themselves as officials or whatever would come under entrapment? Or am i wrong haha.

It's against PACE, but you try and prove it to a magistrate who thinks you're scum and that the sun shines out of coppers arses.