Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Legal question...help required.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Asking on behalf of a friend here, i do not recommend or condone his actions!!

he was a student in USA on a student visa, got a year extension after his graduation. He's coming home in may.

he's working for a store at the moment who give staff a credit account.

if he was to rack up the credit and come back in may, what could they do about it?

said i'd try and find out. :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    In reality, very little as he would be in another country. But banks do swap information and could make his life uncomfortable for a long time.

I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Options
    He probably wouldnt be allowed back into America either. My friends cousin left a string of parking fines in the US years ago and was refused entry last year when he tried to go back because of them.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    He probably wouldnt be allowed back into America either. .

Aye. This would probably be the "biggest" issue, depending on how desperate he was to go back.
  • Options
    its not a credit card tho, its a employee loyalty scheme, would that work in the same way?

i really dont think he's that bothered about going back to be honest, but i'll let him know your thoughts.
  • Options
    yeah, but if he couldn't go back then he might be a littlemore bothered by the debt. Though I'm not sure what an employee loyalty scheme thingy is.
  • Options
    He could also screw up the loyalty programme for the others. The company might not let non-US workers take part in the scheme, or maybe stop it altogether because of some thieving little git.
  • Options
    This will be considered theft from your employer which actually (in the UK at least) is considered a more serious offence than shop lifting. Its highly unlikely that he'll get extradited or anything, but he'd never be able to go back.
  • Options
    Yep - even if now he thinks he might not want to go back that means he cant' get any flights that route via the US even if hes not going there. Also he might have a job that requires him to visit the US.