Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

StrubbleS university diary

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ugh, the day was so-so, but getting better.

maths was complicated as always.
    then I had a different kind of maths in which I had the presentation in. We've been 5 people, one already left our group. It sucked... but we are all positive.

sophie wrote me txt, saying she really wanted to come to introduction to chemistry, but she is so confused. I replied with that on wednesday there never is ItC, she wrote back to say "look how confused I am :p Are you anywhere on uni campus?"
    2 or 3 txts back and forth, we met in lab then. I have the bad feeling I come over as a (bit of a) prick. I am always measuring with my mates, who isolates more salt, who is quicker, better etc :D Typical male penis envy. Makes us work real efficient tho (bit of pressure). Sometimes I stop by at sophies desk and ask her how much she got out of something (or something equally inane), because there is just no time for smalltalk. I complimented her today tho on the sublimation-outcome of her naphthaline. it's quite ok, just very little conversation.

next 4 days are off tho :) I wrote her text if she wanted to join me to a friends home party, but she does not know those peeps and does not lives a good 40-50 minutes away from that, so I doubt it. We're seeing each other tomorrow and it will be good to talk about a few private things too :) finally.

We did a few cool things in lab today again, but the best things happened on aforementioned days.

Gonna chill out now for a while and party this evening.
    Party till 3:30 am yesterday, little sleep, just came back from 2 hour grunt work of emptying some gramps cellar. Noooo, the son of the old one (acquaintance of my father) couldn't help him, instead we had to empty his complete 15 year old GARBAGE(!), because that's what it was, dirty and filthy like hell, since my father can't say no.

I am tired and exhausted, the best precondition of meeting up with sophie now.
    My my evening shan't be ruined.

Good evening, folks.

/edit: She told me, "We will be there at around 10pm."
    "who's we?"
    "me, my boyfriend and a few friends." :(

back-up plan:
    could get 5 peeps together in short time so I have a friendscircle of my own there, definitely need back up.

POOFFFF!! the sound of a nice thought that ceased to exist. Hmm..

I'm pathetic.
    so the friends called off and I was standing at the ticket sale. "Sold out."
    She was already inside with her b/f and friends. Called her, told her about it and asked if we can hook up tomorrow for a drink. She said she's not sure, because she might have to babysit.

So I met up with the only remaining bud around and went for 2 fine beers and then I drove home again.

Had the most vivid, realistic, frightening and at the same time warning dream. I still remember most parts even tho I don't use to do that, after waking up.

It was basically, me running after her and failing my lab tasks, she kinda giving me the cold shoudler (not in a unfriendly way tho ) and I got irritated when another little guy was running after her.

looks like I really have a deep down buried trauma regarding affection and attraction to and of girls and I thought I was only kidding.... maybe kidding myself.

Can't even begin to tell you how worked up and moody I am right now. :no:
    I have just met up witha good friend of mine, he's called "Franz" and I posted 2 texts from him in the "post a random text you sent/received"-thread.

Let me tell you about Franz. He's big, strong, and has a stubble-bald.
    Got ya stereotypes ready? He's nothing of that.

Got him to know at the ambulance and I had my stereotypes ready. So we had different shifts. Journal, ambulance car and "donauinsel". Which is basically lifeguard along the bis 21 kilometres long island seperating the old from the new donau (river through vienna). So I was arranged to be with him on a lifeguard post (container) and he was learning.

I asked him if he learns for the Mature-exam (graduation of grammar school, which you usually finish before civil service -> ambulance, except you drop out.)
    "Oh no... I am learning spanish. I am studying already... not spanish, but I like to learn languages and I already mastered italian and I am learning french and improving my english."

(jesus christ).

This dude knows everything. Every island in the polar sea, the lenght of the transibirski railraod, he has always topographical maps of african countries as his laptop screensaver and knows a lot... about EVERYthing.

He is a genuine nice and caring guy, he's a fantastic soccer player (and I mean FANTASTIC), he's intelligent, he's a big stratgic thinker, has a lot of women, but only in relationships. He's not using them. This is like every good trait there is, thrown into a pot, mixed and out comes Franz.

So I remember when we were 3 guys on the ambulance car. One driver and two paramedics. You just need 2 guys tho (one driver one param.). So what does he do? Calls our working place and asks if I can stay home, he will do the shift alone... kickin rad. He always brings you home with his car, and gives people a lift, and he loves it, when he can do that to people.

He has a keydeposit on his flatdoor, and even I know his code. I can all the time go into his flat and hang out. He said, that 24 hours a day is just way to few for him. He has dozens over dozens of friends and many even are really grumpy and angry, because they can't see him, because he's 24/7 busy.

Never met anyone compareable, he influences and inspires his friends for their best... Just needed to get that off my chest.

Just returned from playing footie with him and a few friends of him. that really lifted me up. Called sophie and she said she definitely wants to have a drink, so we will meet up at 10. I am surrounded by awesome people, lucky me.

have a great friday night!
    I'm only mildly confused do you moonlight as a paramedic?
    Wyetry wrote:
    I'm only mildly confused do you moonlight as a paramedic?

he's like a superhero in his spare time :yes:
    I think i'm slightly less confused as i've just remembered iirc that Austrians have to do a years national service after school but unlike in the UK where you used to have to go into the army you can choose to do lots of really good and worthwhile things like mountain rescue and stuff where you save peoples lives rather than just killing them. Which I think is a jolly good idea.

(I could be getting confused with switzerland though)
    Wyetry wrote:
    I think i'm slightly less confused as i've just remembered iirc that Austrians have to do a years national service after school but unlike in the UK where you used to have to go into the army you can choose to do lots of really good and worthwhile things like mountain rescue and stuff where you save peoples lives rather than just killing them. Which I think is a jolly good idea.

(I could be getting confused with switzerland though)

yeah, after school you have to do 8 months (meanwhile reduced to 6 months) of military service, or 12 months (now reduced to 9 months) of public service, like ambulance, geriatric care, Kindergarden for handicapped kids, etc.

I chose ambulance and had the education to a paramedic (which I still am), but I am not working there anymore. Now I am studying. As civil servant you earned about 360€ (240 pounds), a month for ~50-60 working hours a week. That sucks. I might return and continue doing it honorary, like a lot of my collegues did... Thinking about that.

I met sophie on saturday for the first time. I don't know what to think of it. I was at a concert and later we wanted to meet up, but she had a "games evening" (where you play parlour games) with her friends and asked if I wanted to come. Naturally I went, but it was hella boring tbh. We stayed till 3:30. A friend of her brought me to the nearest nightline stop (~12 minutes with the care without ANY traffic or traffic lights), and here I am at the VERY other end of vienna than I am actually living and sophie drove out to her boyfriend (who lives in lower austria - different state) *sigh*

We had a little weird txt-correspondence, which is readable in the "post a random text from your cellphone" (paraphrased) thread.

But today she wrote me again, that she can't come to the lecture, because she fell ill. So it's all good I reckon.

Independent from the fact that she has a boyfriend and I shouldn't be trying in the first place I can't even begin to make you - girls - clear how much I am doing my head in about thinking what to do and not to do, to not get "friends zoned". We have to do a few chemical calculations for tomorrow and I am honestly not sure to email her with the answers or not, because this might be seen as "friendly" in the sense of "what a friend would do."

I have ALWAYS been zoned out onto the friends ladder and I crucify myself about little things what to say, how to act, what to do, to not come over as the typical friend guy. You know I used to listen to the problems of the girls naturally, asked them to join me if I had to buy certain stuff like shoes, because I was lazy to do it alone... I dunno what I did wrong, but something was wrong, and something or a lots of somethings were always the "Ohh... We are so good friends matt, don't let us destroy it."

We give little pecks on the cheeks when greeting (you do that around here), so I try to have a little touch (not pervy!) every now and then, like... dunno putting my hand on her hip when I have to pass by her in the wardrobe, or when meeting up and AAAAAAAAAACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK overanaLYZINGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish this shit was as easier. It probably is, but I make a science out of it. You should see me, how I act around friends and girls and then witness how dumb I am around girls I fancy... hopeless case.
    be careful, she still has a boyfreind unfortunately!
    Yea, as much as I'm loving your romance story :) she does have a boyfriend. How would you like it say if she was your girlfriend, and another boy was thinking like you are about how to get with her.
    Yea, as much as I'm loving your romance story :) she does have a boyfriend. How would you like it say if she was your girlfriend, and another boy was thinking like you are about how to get with her.

I would hate him :)

Call me hypocrite :)

/e:
    After thinking about it. I am about to crap it up again eitherwise.
    She writes me she can't come today, because she fell ill
    and I respond with, "oh dear, sonny :) get well soon! kick back, will think of you. see ya tomorrow, M." dunno how to express more doormat-ishness.

I must be shizophrenic ~~
    StrubbleS wrote:
    I must be shizophrenic

you must be in loooove :p
    Replicant wrote:
    you must be in loooove :p

Let's call it infatuated...
    I am having second thoughts about it tho. I wrote her on last thursday if she wants to go out on friday or something. Haven't heard a single peep from here since then and I did not write another time, nor thinking about it.

If your partner is so much the better the more often you have been brushed off, I can't await to meet her.

sophie is a fab girl, but chasing her is futile. I guess I call it quits. It's just that I see her about a month, before she leaves the technical university again and I'm sure I'm not going to hear from her again.

*sigh* she's a fab girl :(
    Really like your story, StrubbleS :)

Hehe, this really made me laugh when I read it, great chat up line!
    StrubbleS wrote:
    I complimented her today tho on the sublimation-outcome of her naphthaline.
    Yeah, that's probably it. I'm just writing for the sake to procrastinate the maths I have to do.

We had lab today again and she came in and greeted me very timidly and hardly made eyecontact. We did not talk a whole lot.

Lab was sucky today. I couldn't make my tasks right. Fortunately - since the labs are being renovated the Gas faucets weren't working in the extractor hoods so we couldn't finish our work completely, since we couldn't precipitate our Copperions since we'd need nitric acid and it develops nitrogen oxids and they are very poisonous. I fucked up my dilutions of metallic salts and just poured the whole fuck away, since we are not getting grades on that task eitherwise, I just wrote it in my lab journal as if I'd done it.

If I am not clever then I am damn good in making other people believe I am. I had a little exam today at lab and without knowing much about it, I just said a few clever phrases belonging to that area of chemistry I was asked about and just conversed with the examiner and did a couple of "oh yea!! I remember, isn't it like <paraphrasing something the examiner just told me>???".

Grade: A ;)

Can't believe I am thinking about her right now. Mhmmm.

Excuse me my thesiters, I have a few errands to do.
    so fucking gorgeous..... Not the kind of girl you lust after, but the kind of girl you don't want to stop talking as you hang onto her lips as if you life depended on it.

Can't wait for her to vanish out of my life :-l
    Yesterday in lab I gathered 0,5 grams of little tinfoil pieces/cuttings and let them dissolve in Kalibase... After half an hour I cooked that black solution (I think I added something to it, not sure), I filtrated it off with vacuum suction. So I had this black goo in the filter and threw it away and a colourless, clear solution to which I added concentrated sulfuric acid. It got milky. I cooked it and let it get clear and reduced the volume by letting the solution vaporize a bit.

Next thing in order were to rapidly cool it down so crystals begin to precipitate and it the crystalization does not work from alone, scratch with a glass rod on the inside of the flask so glass crystals will be the seed for crystalization.

Time was running out to, so I just put the clear solution into a bigger cup of cold water and went home.

the next day I had the biggest crystal (1,5 cm in diameter) in my flask, most people had just crystal powder. Looked like a monster diamond out of an african mine :P

got an A ;) yea!

Today I made a silver mirror in a glass test tube. I dissolved silvernitrite in ammonia solution and as a reduction chemical I used Glucose (dissolved in water) in another test tube. Warmed both and poured them together and let it simmer for a bit. The elemental (metallic) silver was contrasting on the inside of my test tube. Took it home, got a little cylindric mirror now :)
    "that girl is poisen" - Bev, Biv, Devoe
    katralla wrote:
    "that girl is poisen" - Bev, Biv, Devoe

In fact, every girl seems to be poison for my mind.
    I should be asexual...

I have exam on monday, but today I will buy winter equipment (snowboard, boots, etc.) and at evening I am at a cabaret by Hader. Joseph Hader is the funniest man I know and I heard a LOT of comedy.

He is not the jump around like a clown type, he's the type that only sits on his chair and begins to tell you something. Don't think you can leave his show without watery eyes of laughing.

I am thinking of her. It wouldn't be too late for a friendship, but this is something I never could do. Be 'mere' friends with a girl I am smitten with.

Have a nice day my fellow thesiters. The long awaited weekend has finally arrived.
    :wave:
    The technical university arranges a tablefootball tournament in the following days (probably more days, because of so many partakers).

I'll play with an old mate of the ambulance, and we called ourself "Team Zick Zack Flack ins Gnack" :) (zigg zagg slap in ya neck). sounds stupid in english tho.

Luckily this week no lab.
    sophie is on holidays (afaik), and will only see her next 1 or 2 weeks in lab, then never again.

my older sister finished her bachelor yesterday, so we gonna get out and have dinner in a restaurant.

Later I'm gonna get drrrrrunk, because tomorrow is national holiday.

woooooooooooooooooo.
    Leaving now for the Tablesoccer Tournament of the technical university of vienna :)

I will let you know how it went.

On tuesday night I was playing with my partner at the uni-festival and we didn't leave the table for 2 consecutive hours (and then we just stopped playing, because someone spillt beer over the table.

yehaw...
    :wave:
    Phew, just came home. After uni I had to buy some locks for the new lab (we need our own locks for the locker and our cupboards with the instruments.)

I have 10 math calculations due on thursday (received the task yesterday(!)), have to prepare majorly for the new lab (starting tomorrow), today... Got a really big exam coming up soon and I am all stressed out.

Recently I read a lot about buddhism and talked about it with a buddhist and I am thinking to convert to buddhism, because it might really help me my lifestyle. I am talking about the "Theravada" the oldest preserved transmission of the ancient buddhas teachings. If anyone is buddhist her I'd love to have a convo, so let me know.

When I met Flo on the campus he was with Beck... and Beck was with sophie :grump: There was literally no eye contact or any exchanged word between me and her for 2 hours. It was really awkward. Flo told me that she said, she thought I was in a snit, because she once did not respond to my off-key txt. Apparently she was wondering why I was ignoring her and she thought it's a pity *sigh*.

Well, she will get to know soon nuff. Can't fucking grasp why I was paying attention to Beck's words/gestures, where he looked to etc. like a watchdog. I shouldn't care about that crap.

I haven't even eaten and it's half past seven, I haven't even started working, there is so little time. 24 hours a day is just too short.

I feel like puked out and swallowed down again.
    Eck.. carry on Matt. On 15. december holidays start.
    Whooozaaaaa. I am the chief of the lab :P

So we are in a new lab now. It's 1 story subterrain, huuuge, much better equipment, and we make - not more interesting - but a tad more dangerous stuff. Not really dangerous, but we deal with a few more 'dangerous' substances.

So the desks are huge, and on my desk is a guy called marcus, a girl called mina, and the two hot girls from the 3-4 hottest girls out of the whole study technical chemistry 2006 :)

So I know my fair share about those chemical reactions, because I have a good mind for details like molecular structures if I saw them only once etc. It has to be practical, so maths is hard for me. Usually I am quickest on my team, but I kinda took the leader position and help everyone, sometimes to the disapproval of the lab assistent (Every desk got it's own now), because he said, "Matthias, it's nice that you help all your collegues, but I have to give them marks on how they work."

So since we were doing pillar chromatography and it takes a lot of time to slurry your "Kieselgel" (some silica-oxygen compound) so I spent a lot of time talking to the one blonde girl. A friend and me were always kidding, who'll get her first, because neither of us would really make the effort and get her to know. She's hot and we thought we'd fail, but yesterday and today we had real nice conversation.

With the other girl that's really nice and good looking (tanja) I had some private conversation, because she's new in vienna and wants to know where to go out at night etc. So we probably might go out on the weekend or something :P

I am doing pretty good, because I am getting along with my lab assistent Rado pretty good. He has a few problems with german, but it's always cool to work with him.

Usually I am a follower, but I enjoy that people come to me and ask for advice and I like to support them so we are always at the same level and nobody has to stay longer than 4pm. I kinda have my beady eye on Alice (the blonde chick in my team), but she's so super calm and mellow, but it SOMEHOW seems to be in a arrogant way. Not really, but maybe a desinterested way.

I am afraid to be a bit to forward (once again), but let's see. Prolly going out with tanja on weekend, and let's see how it works out with alice, it's just the second day of getting introduced to each other.

I got 4 A's today :P for thinlayer chromatographie and pillar chromatography (theory and excercise respectively.)

Rado said I was the best on the team and it would be a bit more 'colourful' with the marks of the other people, depending if they finish at 4pm. I said, "of course is my crew finished at 4 pm, that's out of question."
    I was a bit embarrassed, but I am weird in that kind of way. In many situations I feel embarrassed because I feel dumb and I can't hold the level of conversation and in others I feel to clever. I don't want to be an egghead.

bwah, I am so full of myself, so narcisstic.... but it's a good feeling ;)

Go strubbles! go strubbles.!

oh, before I forgot. There was just a little awkward eye contact between me and sophie today. I did not think much of it, I was busy and was content with my team and my advances. While lying in bed yesterday night I typed up a TXT for sophie:

"I'm sorry it took so long to come up with the explanation. I wasn't ignoring you because I was angry or upset as you think. To be honest: I just fell head over heels for you... Yeah, you heard right. And because I realized it's futile for any attempts and I usually become desperate with my feelings like a blind guy with binoculars, I chose the easiest way out for me, and I apologize that I treated you like that. Pardon me, Good bye."

I planned to send her that when lab finishes (next week), when I won't see her again. Wanted second thoughts about it, after sleeping over it. She's a really cool girl I adore, so I don't want to leave it like I became funny and weird and ignored her since then (she thinks I am upset, because she did not respond to some of my "off-key" txts :confused: ).

Ah what the hey, i just send it now to her, then I have a clean consciousness.

/edit:

she just called me up. Phew, I have cojones of steel... (I picked up).
    Only thing I disliked was, it was of a bit amicable nature...
    doesn't chance the outcome. We won't hear anymore of each other.

I need a shower, NOW.
    Hey Strubbles, I just caught up with you story here - as chemistry was the subject I most positively HATED at school, I've skimmed through those parts but followed the romantice story :razz:

And just wanted to say i think it's great you sent the text, it says you're a really honest and forward person, which is good in my book. It may feel dissapointing now but I think it'll give you some closure and peace of mind for the future.

Good luck ;)
    bluewisdom wrote:
    Hey Strubbles, I just caught up with you story here - as chemistry was the subject I most positively HATED at school, I've skimmed through those parts but followed the romantice story :razz:

And just wanted to say i think it's great you sent the text, it says you're a really honest and forward person, which is good in my book. It may feel dissapointing now but I think it'll give you some closure and peace of mind for the future.

Good luck ;)

Indeed. she called me right after (thought I was jumping off a bridge or something lol). I said, nah im cool, just BECAUSE I secluded myself and ignored her. I am sorry that I trated her like that, but we are better of like that anyway.

I am getting along great with the two girls in my lab and I'll meet up with one on saturday (after 2 days of knowing her, yeah.... strubbles is where it's at :cool: j/k).
    With the blonde one (Alice) conversation was much better already today. We seem to grow together, especially after we are always the slowest team in lab :( (our instructor is so slow and disorganized, but of course we chill around a lot too). Let's see how it goes on.

tbh: I am to busy to be concerned with girls at the moment. I digested the thing with sophie pretty much, and now I was called to play football, then I have a reunion of my old highschool class. Saturday I meet up with the collegue at evening, afternoon I have to do maths and lab. Sunday footie again and relatives.

I bought a winter suit to snowboard and did not even have time to put it on, to see if it fits! Always on the run.

thanks for reading it bluewisdom :)
    have a nice weekend!
    I was in da ciddy yesterday celebrating the birthday of two old friends. We rented a club for ourselves and all was good. I invited tanja over, the girl besides alice who I got to know in lab. I doubted that she wanted to come, but hey she came all the way through vienna to come by.

tanja is pretty hot. In a way I usually don't keep contact with those clubbing kind of girls for long. I was impressed by her. She does a lot of sports (downhill biking HELL YEAH, climbing, snowboard) she plays still super nintendo :P (yeah, I am going to complete a level in donkey kong country 3 for her, smooth! ;) ), she listens to SOAD and slipknot. whoa hey... I need to stop to judge people on their appearence.

I hardly go out for so long (till 6:30), but I liked every second. I don't fancy her, but we have a few things in common. It's cool to have a spontaneous girl who lives in corinthia right beside a big skiing resort. Nothings better to make awesome stuff (sport or whatever), with someone you don't have to persuade.

sharing interests is where it's at.

Seems like I can keep a girl as a friend for the first time in ages.

have a lazy sunday, y'all.
    My mum and sister are in Vienna at the moment raahh.

I <3 karten the skiing there is excellent

Keep up the diary its always entertaining.
    You mentioned my name! I am blatently coming to Austria to hunt you down and I will make you watch The Sound of Music too. Keep posting :)
    Rachael wrote:
    You mentioned my name! I am blatently coming to Austria to hunt you down and I will make you watch The Sound of Music too. Keep posting :)

Sounds like you tighten me to a chair with my eyelids taped to my forehead so I can't close my eyes. "nooooooo......."

Haha... yeah, we talked about it, would be cool if you come anytime in spring or summer time somewhere inbetween the next decade :P I'll accommodate you!

Hope wyetry and briggi aren't just talking big either ;)

Well, a little update. Alice is very introverted. I mean she's not particular silent all the time, can't say she's shy, but I think so... The conversations become more fluently and we probably go out on friday (tanja asked our whole work group, consisting of marcus, alice, tanja, Mina and me). Alice is just a closed book, but she obviously goes out to party and is still familial interwined. (She's not from vienna. She lives here with 3 girls from her home town to study. From time to time she's at home with her family at the weekends), so maybe a bit shy but not introverted per se. I'll ask for her number tomorrow I guess. Hmmmm.....

She's a real cutie tho. I hope it does not turn out she has a boyfriend like the last.... 200 times I had interest in a girl -_-
    I fucking hate maths...

"The air in a 30x30x12m room has 0,12% Carbondioxide in it. How many Fresh air do you have to let into the room per minute, so the concentration of Carbondioxide will be 0,06% after 10 minutes? the concentration of CO² in the fresh air is 0,04% and it is assumed that the fresh air immediately mixes with the air in the room."

Who the heck can solve that. I have no clue. Maths is so boring...

On a brighter note: After a long weekend I asked alice for her number today. It went quite well. Comtemplating to call her this evening just asking how she's doing in general and with maths. How her weekend was (her gramps had b-day back home) and if she fancies to go for a drink on thursday evening (we both finished the math lecture then, where we need to have those excercises we are calculating now).
    She sometimes seems impassive, even tho she's not really distant, it's just her calm way... there was never this thing like a uncomfortable silence, there was always one person talking... (and no, not just me :P ).

Have difficulties to estimate the situation, she's hard to read.

I need go back to my boring maths examples, where I am usually doodling around on a piece of paper various bogus ways and formulas to determine the way to solve the examples for hours until I am frustrated, meh...

/edit:

I am a man of few words on the telephone. All my calls are pretty much finished after 4 minutes, even if it's considered a "long" conversation, then it's probably 6-7 minutes.
    Just returned from a 30 minutes telephone convo, with whom? :) you guessed it.
    She sounded so bright and "jippeeee"-kinda when she knew it was me, the sun was shining out of my ass. We talked in broad about the weekend, a few uni related stuff, and generally just a few anecdotes about our lives.

We will go out for a punch on thursday evening.

Can't fucking grasp this is happening to me. No time for overjoy tho. I've been a dozen times this far and somehow it never worked out, sheesh... hope i don't crap it up.

I can't honestly say I am butterfly in the stomach like, dunno... It's a weird, sobe feeling... I just like her...

Hmmm....