Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What's the best thing to do?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm currently studying an NVQ in Child Care and am doing Level 1. Now, I'm currently studying it 2 days a week at school and 2 days at a work placement.

The first day was fine because we didn't have any Year 10s (they're doing Entry Level or something and we're expected to help them on a Thursday) but now it seems that we HAVE to help them with rheir work even though we've probably only touched briefly on what they're doing and we have work of our to do as well.

Now, I was talking to a friend of mine who feels the same way. She mentioned something about how she's either going to do Catering next year or get an apprentership. How would I go about getting an apprentership?

Also, are there any other options for me other than staying on at school (which I can only do for one more year apparantely) and getting an apprentership?

I've already decided what I want to do at uni and have been told that NVQ level 3in Early Years Care is a fine qualification for the course I want to do.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sofie i'm a little confused, if you doing an NVQ in childcare, why do you need to help out year 10's?
    We're expected to help them because we've apparantely covered what they're currently studying, which is wrong. (we've only done the sex education stuff)

Also, it does seem that the teachers can't always be bothered to help them (even though there's normally two of them to help) so we're expected to help them.
    So is it like a peer mentoring scheme?
    It's not meant to be (we're meant to do our own work and they're meant to do theirs) but it does seem that way.
    Mean while the teachers are doing what exactly?:chin:
    They're meant to be teaching them. One of them is only there for 2 hours though because she has other poeple (drama) to teach.

And the other teacher shouts at the other students telling them get on with their work.
    One word... College. Your school doesn't sound very supportive to me. Try to get onto a level 3, by-passing the level 2. It will cut out a year or two. Which degree were you thinking of doing? After my level 3 i progressed onto a HND (equivilant to foundation degree), i was told i couldn't start my BA (hons) untill i had a level 4 qualification or A-levels.

What job were you thinking of going into anyway? Nursery nursing requires level 2/3, nursery management level 4 plus experience and teaching undergraduate plus post graduate such as PGCE or SCITT.
    Was thinking of doing a degree in Child Health Nursing.
    Paediatrics? Are you going onto an access course?
    Yes and not sure. I think I should really talk to the Careers Adviser in school because right now, I'm not entirely sure what I want to do after this year.