Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

whats uni like?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I heard so many great things about it but would love to hear other peoples views/stories.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What exactly do you want to know?
  • Options
    Generally there are some shops, a union of some sort, some bricks, some books, some lectures, some students....

Give us more of a clue what you're after!
  • Options
    well I hear stories like its real easy to pull
    pranks
    parties every night
    scavanger hunts

stuff like that
  • Options
    also whats the work like?
  • Options
    also whats the work like?

depends what course you do... there are tons of doss courses where u can blag ure way thru and get a 2:1 and there are a lot of hard ones that take a lot of understanding too...

anyway uni is different for everyone, there will be good and bad opinions you need to experience it ureself tbh!
  • Options
    well considering im stuck in 6th form for another 7 months Id like to know what to expect is all.
  • Options
    I think having expectations of it is a bad thing... It won't just be amazing whatever happens, you have to make it what it is :)
  • Options
    well considering im stuck in 6th form for another 7 months Id like to know what to expect is all.

depends on how socializing you are, or if you start to study with friends?
    If you are a loner, studying will probably suck, especially if you pick a hard degree.

I got to know a few mates, I am interested in a few girls and will see how it goes (it's just my second week here, so I don't have to worry - yet :p). It's interesting, it's good to know that you are getting a really good education - especially in london the unis are grand - that will help you to earn a lot of cash and have a nice work.

A father of a friend - a sucessfull businessman - said to me once, "the harder you study and work while you are young, the easier your work will be and the better you'll earn."

the parties around here are great. you got super public transport in vienna, so you are pretty quick at uni (uni in vienna is visited from your own flat... no such thing as flats or "campus" at uni), meet a lot of people, drink a lot and cheap, etc.

Overall it's a good experience, but it's hard work nontheless, and I knew quite some people who couldn't ever think to go to uni.
  • Options
    well cheers Matt
    more or less what I wanted to hear

Only trouble is picking what I wanna do.
  • Options
    Have you spoken to anyone yet/done the Stamford Test? If you have no idea what you want to do, you could take a year out and do some stuff instead?

Don't go to uni just because everyone else is or because you feel you have to.
  • Options
    well cheers Matt
    more or less what I wanted to hear

Only trouble is picking what I wanna do.

you better be picking after you have a real distinctive interest!

A friend of mine started doing 2-3 different things and broke them off after 2-3 weeks. (ok, she's TERRIBLY indecisive without much interest in anything, but still!).

It's expensive and it costs a lot of willpower, just so you know. You have to organize and arrange almost everything for yourself, unlike school.

Don't underestimate it. Study is for learning, party is a bonus. Whoever goes to uni picking a random degree is wasting money.
  • Options
    Maybe I should consider whether or not to go to Uni....

Its just the ideas I get are "you wont be a success or get a good job without uni".
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    you better be picking after you have a real distinctive interest!

Indeed.

I think it would be a waste of time & money going to uni if you have no idea what you want to do.

Why not wait a few years until you know what you want to do? It's not like if you don't go now, you won't have the chance to go/apply ever again.
  • Options
    Maybe I should consider whether or not to go to Uni....

Its just the ideas I get are "you wont be a success or get a good job without uni".

I can't remember who said it, but I'm sure there's someone on here who has a sister who didn't go to uni and is in a high paid job.

Alos, I think a few people (maybe on here) have said how hard it is to get a post grad job to pay off their debts once they've finished uni.
  • Options
    I guess.
    its just that the teachers are making me paranoid about the UCAS.
    do you have to pick a course that has to do with a future career. like I was thinking about taking film studies if I make it to uni but then what do i do for a career
  • Options
    Don't pick film studies if you can't think of a career to do.
  • Options
    so thats a yes to the course career thing
  • Options
    Well yeah. Why would you pick a course if you don't want a future career in it? :confused:
  • Options
    thats a good question.

Well back to the drawing board
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I can't remember who said it, but I'm sure there's someone on here who has a sister who didn't go to uni and is in a high paid job.

Alos, I think a few people (maybe on here) have said how hard it is to get a post grad job to pay off their debts once they've finished uni.

yeah, nobody said you make grunt work or something if you don't have a degree. There are other jobs to learn and other higher schools, like colleges and business schools etc.

but the rule of thumb is, if you are doing a degree, like a Master degree in lets say medicine, chemistry, genetics, physics, maths, pharmacy, architecture, or many many more, you will be much more interesting for job market and employers and if you are not a complete tool you have a much higher basis for income and chances for career etc.

A friend of mine - 25 years - finished informatics on the technical university and his first salary in his first month or working was higher than a different friend of mines mother teachers salary (and she's working for a good 20 years).

Not saying you said/believed that, but the argument "Uni is waste, because I know people who have a lucrative job, but never saw a uni from the inside." is nil.
  • Options
    bah emo post
  • Options
    ^^^ WTF?

You should go to uni if you want to spend the next 3 years in further education, not because you want a social life. You'll get a better job if you have a good degree from a good uni. If you've got no idea what you want to do then maybe uni isn't the right thing for you. Don't do it just because it puts off having to make a decision about a career for another 3 years.
  • Options
    posted something sad so I removed it's all.
  • Options
    Aaah, cos it looks like you're saying StrubbleS is an emo post, or maybe thats jus to me.
  • Options
    lol you think as soon as you go to uni it becomes really easy to pull? i guess that could work 'cause you'll probably be going out more than you normally do.

i'd say it's probably not what you think it'll be. there's actually work involved. rubbish isn't it. :(
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Well yeah. Why would you pick a course if you don't want a future career in it? :confused:

Because you have a genuine interest in the subject?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:

didn't see this till someone else quoted you...

i went to uni not knowing what i wanted to do when i graduated. what does that make me?

(i still don't know and i'm in my final year!).
  • Options
    Because you have a genuine interest in the subject?

That usually goes hand in hand.

You are right, not everytime, but studying 3-4 years for something, if you totally not plan to work in that area?
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    That usually goes hand in hand.

You are right, not everytime, but studying 3-4 years for something, if you totally not plan to work in that area?

Yep. I'm in the final year of my History degree, and I currently have no real intentions of doing anything directly History related.
  • Options
    what's it like?

fun - I made some great freinds at uni, had some really good times too

hard work - make sure you work harder than you think anyone else around you is... usually they work harder than you can see, and by "full time" study, the uni means you should really try to do 9-5 week days! take to heart the hours of non-contact time your uni says you should do per module and try to stick to it (it will be in your course hand book that I expect you'll get).

lack of work is the most obvious, and probably most common downfall of students, myself included :p