Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

withdrawing money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this might be a bit of a stupid question but, if you go into a bank, is there a limit of how much cash you can ask to take out of your account? like, from cash machines you can only get out a certain amount but if you actually go in, can you get as much as you want? and is it the same for building societies?

Comments

• Options
    There is normally a limit of about £5,000 except by prior agreement, but the limit is quite a lot higher than with ATMs.
  • Options
    Different accounts and different branches often have different limits, but like Kermit said it's an awful lot higher than the atm limit.

Another option (depending on what you want it for) is a bankers draft which is like a cheque but it's written by the bank.
  • Options
    and some banks banks won't let you take out less than 30....which is an arse if you forget your card
  • Options
    I had problems the day I walked into my bank and asked to withdraw £5200 towards a car. I got it, but they said I should have arranged it beforehand.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    and some banks banks won't let you take out less than 30....which is an arse if you forget your card

I remind them that I'm the customer when they do that.

And then I go and close the account...HSBC are cunts.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

:yes:
  • Options
    NatWest are my most hated at the moment, they seem to make it so damn difficult to do anything..... :banghead:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

I was thinking of the Halifax...hope other banks don't start catching on
  • Options
    my rent's bank will only let them draw out £250 a day, unles they go into the branch, but then Alliance & Leicester are crap

i'm with Barclays and i don't think i have a limit :eek2:
  • Options
    At atm's the limit is like £400 per day, unless it's at the end of the month, when it tells me I can only withdraw a tenner :(
  • Options
    yeah, it was alliance and leicester i went to and i could only get out £250 over the counter but £500 from a cash machine. not very helpful to be honest.
  • Options
    That's random as the ATM limit for most people is £250 a day.

You are allowed to withdraw medium sums of money from the counter, but if its going to be a high amount you need to order in advance simply so the bank have enough money available in the branch for you to take. The limit at the counter certainly should be higher than £250.

I use NatWest and Co-Op and I reasonably regularly take out sums of £700 or more.
  • Options
    my ATM was £300 a day with barclays, not sure with HBOS
  • Options
    hmm... well i was definitely able to get out £500 from the ATM with my alliance and leicester card. although im sure with my Lloyds account i can only get £250. i just found it odd that i could take out more from a cash machine than the actual place!
  • Options
    i'm with abbey- and can withdraw up to £500 per day from the ATM, not sure about over the counter though.
  • Options
    Is the main reason for a limit on cashpoint withdrawals so that if someone steals your card there's only so much money they can steal from your account in a day or so the point don't run out of money?
    Cuz if it's the first it's pretty bloody pointless cuz as I realised when I was working in co op what some dodgy fuckers were doing, you can keep going into shops, buying lots of alcohol and fags and getting £50 cashback. E.g all of poor person's with stolen card and pin number's money is gone before they know it.

Personally I don't like the chip and pin thing at all, it makes it way to easy for people to see your pin while you're in a shop. Even more so if you use it in somewhere like a pub.
    I really don't understand why we don't have our photos on cards backed up with a signature.