Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

My Nose :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically I had a cold recently and my left nostril became very sensitive and sore. It's not just the outer rim, it's like inside the nostrill as well. The other side is fine but it is sooo painful - someone also managed to clip my lip at a party last night so my face is just throbbing. My nose is really quite painful - it's exceptionally dry and just looks like it's struggling to heal. I tried Sudocrem at first, but it dried out and the slightest wriggle of my nose makes the skin crack - it's like it's trying to scab over. Gross I know but it's so painful - and because now I can breathe through it, the intake of cold air makes it feel even more sensitive. I was thinking of seeing a doctor. It's very red and I'm trying to leave it alone but it's hard and makes me feel like everyones noticing it.

Any ideas, remedies? What will settle it down, make it hurt less anything! I can't see a doc till Monday if now it'd have to be tuesday so any suggestions would be so gratefully received - I'm in pain! Would it be wrong to take painkillers?

Comments

• Options
    If you can, nip to a chemist. Or a supermarket with a pharmacy, cause I don't think chemists are open Saturday evening/Sunday.

I get ulcers up my nose (I know, what a delight) and when they're healing, they do a similar thing to what you're describing. Anyway, I was prescribed some nose cream stuff that relieves the pain and helps them heal, and I ended up just buying it over the counter cause it was cheaper. I'm not sure if it could help you, but I'd definitely have a chat with the pharmacist and find out!

Don't worry about how it looks either, most people won't notice, and the ones that do probably just think it's post-cold redness. Other people are always less observant than you when it comes to your own face.
  • Options
    Vaseline like you put on cracked lips may help protect it and lessen the pain. If you got hit last night then painkillers don't seem unreasonable, ibuprofen is good for inflammation.
  • Options
    it sounds like a cold sore...but can you get them in your nose?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    it sounds like a cold sore...but can you get them in your nose?

You can, but if it were a cold sore it'd be all blisters and weeping. Sounds more like Malt's nose just got really irritated and inflamed due to her cold and is now, for whatever reason, having a hard time healing. The inner surface of your nose is really sensitive, so it gets upset pretty easily.
  • Options
    Thank you guys for replying! I'm gonna pop into boots/sainsburys today. It feels less sore today but still looks very upset! Thank you :)
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    Sounds more like Malt's nose just got really irritated and inflamed due to her cold and is now, for whatever reason, having a hard time healing. The inner surface of your nose is really sensitive, so it gets upset pretty easily.

:yes:

Somewhere in the workbook I have next to me (I'm not searching it, I'm too lazy) it says all about how the skin in your nostrils is easily damaged and has a longer healing period than other areas of your body. :(

Feel better soon hun! :)
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    :yes:

Somewhere in the workbook I have next to me (I'm not searching it, I'm too lazy) it says all about how the skin in your nostrils is easily damaged and has a longer healing period than other areas of your body. :(

Feel better soon hun! :)

Thank you :) I went to the pharmacy and she said put nothing but Savlon on it and the Sudocrem I used probably made it 10 times worse! Lol. Hopefully it'll heal better now :) Thank you everyone :)
  • Options
    Have you tried that sea water spray? My doctor recommended it to me after I had my nose cauterised, and it's really good. I can't remember the proper name for it, but it begins with an S.