Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

If Drugs Were Legal...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2908621023073531157&q=drugs&hl=en

Really interesting movie. It's about an hour long, but well worth it.
  • It's very well thought out.
  • Things that interested me were:
  • Pharamacutical industries in the recreational drug market
  • Pros and Cons of legalized drugs
  • Standardized prices
  • Profit margins are up to 2000-3000% on drugs today. It'd go down to maybe 200-300%
  • Doctors and extensive drug use
  • Findings of long term drug use
  • Overdoses and media bashing. Even though people OD on paramecetol/acetaminophen
  • Pharmacutical corruption/lack of care - good drug dealer of the future v. bad --> so caught up in profit they lose care for user

Just thought some of you guys would be ineterested in this, I sure was. It seems like a very realistic approach towards legalization.

Comments

• Options
    Wow.. Interesting movie XD
  • Options
    That's such a grim outlook.
  • Options
    I havent got anywhere near the connection needed to watch something like that, but when we move into a controlled drug market we need to learn the lessons from alcohol and tobacco. Promotions, prices, strengths etc. all need to be very tightly controlled.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    It would have be better if were simply a documentary with balanced arguments.
    But half of it contains a very grim dramatisation which paints legalisation in a very negative light.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    But half of it contains a very grim dramatisation which paints legalisation in a very negative light.

If we sold drugs the way we sell alcohol it would be a terrible idea, however if we sold drugs the way we currently sell some over the counter medicines it would be a massive step forward.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    If we sold drugs the way we sell alcohol it would be a terrible idea, however if we sold drugs the way we currently sell some over the counter medicines it would be a massive step forward.

Well bassically this video gives arguments for the pros and cons of legalisation and intrestingly delves quite deep into how Pharmacutical may market existing drugs and how they might try and develop new drugs.

But there's an very unhelpful dramatisation set in the future where all drugs save cocaine and heroin are available over the counter and in clubs, which starts with three girls fucking up in a club on some newly developed drug. All in all it's a very grim story.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Is this the If... show which was shown on BBC2 a while ago? I presume so, it certainly sounds like it. If it is then I agree, the dramatisation was a mistake.

But then consumers going to a well run, well regulated 'druggist' where they bought chemicals of a known quality and are given good harm reduction information wouldn't have been very dramatic.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    Is this the If... show which was shown on BBC2 a while ago? I presume so, it certainly sounds like it.

That be the one.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I would love to watch it, but my connection can't support that by any means...:impissed:
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    The link to the BBC page for What if.... drugs were legal is here if anyone wants to read about it.