Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

UK size 4

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I nipped into Asda today, and momentarily allowed myself to get distracted by the clothes section. Anyway, I noticed that not only are they now doing some of their clothes in a size 6, but in some of the ranges, they are doing size 4s.

A quick google tells me that Topshop and Miss Selfridge are also doing size 4s. Considering that Topshop and Miss S have had bad press lately for inflating their sizes, I found this pretty interesting. Wouldn't it make more sense just to start making clothes in the size they are supposed to be? What happens when the size 4s start getting gradually bigger, will they introduce size 2s?

I sense a media storm brewing about how people are getting thinner and thinner, but are they really? I've worn my mum's clothes from the 70s, when she was a size 10/12, and they fit me well (I'm a modern day size 6/8).

Is all this size 4 business media hype and cynical marketing designed to make us feel bad about ourselves, or a necessary addition to modern sizing?

Discuss.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I saw a size 4 skirt in Asda and I thought someone had put a pre-teen skirt in the wrong section it was so small.
    I have a top that my mam wore in the 70s and the label says size 12 and I'm an 8 and it's tight on me now.
    i remember trying on some 50s shorts in a charity shop that said size 12 on the label. I couldnt do them up and I was a size 8 at the time.
    So much for Marilyn Monroe being heralded as a size 16 super curvy woman.
    yep, she was a modern day size 10
    I can never get trousers that are small enough and buying skirts that fit is really hard too so I'll definately hunt out some size 4 stuff. I've got some size "six" trousers from Miss Selfridge that I bought but they are so big on me they must be about a 12.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I can never get trousers that are small enough and buying skirts that fit is really hard too so I'll definately hunt out some size 4 stuff. I've got some size "six" trousers from Miss Selfridge that I bought but they are so big on me they must be about a 12.
    Miss S are renound for their sizes being big
    And here I was hoping the opposite. :p
    8 is the new 10, not the other way around.
    I'll just stick to my lying scale and pretend I never saw this thread.

I wonder what they'll make the sizes here? They are already at 00. -2 would just be confusing and weird. Or maybe they'll just add more 0's? Soon it will be 6x0 or maybe 0 cubed. 0 to the sixth power.
    About 5/6 years I tried on a pair of size 6 trousers and they fell to the floor they were so big and I was a size 8 at the time.
    kaffrin wrote:

Is all this size 4 business media hype and cynical marketing designed to make us feel bad about ourselves, or a necessary addition to modern sizing?

Discuss.

Nope!
    The most recent modern size is 0!!!
    There are ways down to go...:yeees:
    I saw there were size 4's at ASDA the other day. I nearly cried....

I remember you could barely used to get size 8's there. :eek2:
    Day40 wrote:
    Nope!
    thats in american sizes though. Its the same as our size 4.
    Day40 wrote:
    Nope!

00 actually :razz:
    nicx1811 wrote:

I remember that too I remember having to wear size 10s coz of it and they were always a bit loose.

The women always looked curvier on screen even though they were actually pretty tiny. We sold one of Doris Day's dresses out of the Calamity Jane film and i couldn't manage to do the back up. She was an 18" waist :eek: Baring in mind i was a ting 16yr old at the time who was a 6/8 it sort of makes you realise now how ting she was.

I've given up trying to work out what size i am due to all the shops inflating their sizes. I find the worst one is next. I'm a size 6 top in there due to anything bigger makes me look like i have no chest and am a child again :grump:
    Arrrgghhh no how depressing does this mean i'm acutally a size 18 in reality (I'm a size 12/14 in normal shops).

I though there had been some giant size measuring study which lots of shops had participated as people were now different sizes to what they were 40 years ago.
    lea_uk wrote:
    I remember that too I remember having to wear size 10s coz of it and they were always a bit loose.

Yeah I was the same. I was so happy when I grew up a bit and filled out to more than a stick insect, because clothes fitted me properly.... and now they're bringing in size 4?!
    Oh God, and I thought size 6's were small enough. Sizes in shops really piss me off.
    Went into Topshop and New look the other day, am a size 10 so tried them on in both shops - New looks were far too big on me and Topshops were just right. I dont see why they cant just have a standard size.
    Whats with them inflating sizes anyways? Whats it gonna achieve??
    Captain wrote:

Apparently there was a study which showed women are more likely to buy an item of clothing if they can fit into a smaller size than normal. Basically they're preying on our insecurites in order to maximise their profits.
    Captain wrote:
    Oh God, and I thought size 6's were small enough. Sizes in shops really piss me off.
    Went into Topshop and New look the other day, am a size 10 so tried them on in both shops - New looks were far too big on me and Topshops were just right. I dont see why they cant just have a standard size.
    I know, i'm usually an 8, but a 10 in jeans. Most shops i try the size 8 jeans and i cant even zip them up, and i found some size 8 jeans that hang off me - more like 12's!
    kaffrin wrote:
    Apparently there was a study which showed women are more likely to buy an item of clothing if they can fit into a smaller size than normal. Basically they're preying on our insecurites in order to maximise their profits.

Sad but very true. If I fit into a smaller size than normal, I'm thrilled. Especially when its not just 1 or 2 sizes smaller, but 3 or 4 sizes smaller.
    U JUST CANT GO BY SIZES NOWADAYS

i have a size 10 top that fits fine, yet the other week i had to buy a 16...work that out

same for pants, i have a size 12 which are fine, but a pair of 16s which are a bit tight!
    I'm a generous size 14. I don't like buying anything with a size 16 label but if it fits me better then I will have it. I'm definately happier when the label says 14. I don't think it's very likely I will ever be affected personally by the size 4 issue, but I think everyone should be able to buy clothes that fit them properly without having to try on every size in the shop. Some consistency in sizing is needed!!
    Captain wrote:

What's worse is when the same store can't achieve a standard size. I bought two pairs of jeans from New Look (on the same day) about a year ago, both the New Look own brand ones. One pair was size 10 leg 30, the other size 12 leg 32. That was just ridiculous!
    nicx1811 wrote:

jeez ur right...your lucky to get anything below a 12 in the asda near me, never mind a 6 or 4!!!!
    haaaa!!! my kind of thread!finally some people who are round my size (6/8)..i get so much greif for being small..its unfair! but yeah, i noticed that warehouse and logo are displaying more n more size 6 clothes, and was so happy!next has size 6 jeans...but they dont fit too well!ah well...back to the kiddies section...:-(
    tinydancer wrote:
    haaaa!!! my kind of thread!finally some people who are round my size (6/8)..i get so much greif for being small..its unfair! but yeah, i noticed that warehouse and logo are displaying more n more size 6 clothes, and was so happy!next has size 6 jeans...but they dont fit too well!ah well...back to the kiddies section...:-(
    lol im the same i only find river island jeans to fit me really nice! got a pair of miss sixty ones but never found another pair liek them! even topshop r really odd fitting on me! dammit!
    Ain't it just pressure to look like a lollypop girl? ie hideously thin body like an 8 year old and adult head..
    and im a 12 and when i go to topshop they're sizes are made all funny..
    jus makes me :( sometimes..
    i have 2 tops from tesco which are ridiculously size 6, im a size 12. And they are slightly too big.
    Shops like Etam aimed at 30+ ages openly admit they make their sizes bigger than the standard, to make their customers feel better about thmselves.
    well its pathetic
    tinydancer wrote:

Same here! I'm pleasantly surprised this thread hasn't gone all bitchy & people started going on about how you must be anorexic to fit into anything below a 12 blah blah blah... which is how most threads on small sizes that I've seen seem to go. There is such a knee-jerk reaction when it comes to smaller sizes.

lipsy wrote:
    well its pathetic
    :confused: What is?