Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why most people think absinthe is crap (and why it really isn't)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Absinthe. I actually know a handful of people that have tried it now. It wil probably even be a mainstream drug in the near future. And why not? It's becoming extremely cheap, popularity is rising, and hey,-getting drunk AND high (although I still think some spirits are more like opium than marijuana) from the contents of a bottle? What's not to like?! Alas, there are so many that have tried absinthe, but have failed to realize the absinthe "experience". But this is no fault of their own. Take a gander at the thujone tests at http://www.thujone.info and you will immediately see the problem. At least 3/4 of absinthe has INCREDIBLY low thujone content. 6 mg? TWO MGs!? My friends, that is just not enough to truely have a great absinthe experience, and so many that have tried these inferior spirits have been decieved into thinking that absinthe is complete rubbish! To make it even worse, French absinthe, which is NOTORIOUS for its low thujone levels, is touted to be the finest absinthe the world by the wine connoiseur crowd. And yes, you guessed it, the Czech absinthe, which generally has relatively high thujone is called trash. Why? Because the fucking wine critics try to make it about the taste. To focus on your tastebuds while ignoring the true purpose of this amazing drink is a slap in the face to the pioneers of olde!

If you want a true absinthe experience, http://www.1a-absinth.com has 35 mg (maximum legal strength) Mata Hari absinth for a mere 20.49 EUR/$25 USD. This is the absolute most affordable way to have a true absinthe experience. The alcohol is quite high (60%), but not absurdly so, so you do not need to worry about the alcohol overpowering the thuojone.

If you do not drink absinthe, I have no problem; I only ask that you do not insult it without trying. If you have been meaning to give it a go, please do not settle for anything less, lest you end up one on the list of many decieved. Those decieved, give a REAL absinthe a chance...

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    The reason I think it's crap is because I don't like it. It's that simple.
    A mate of mine brought some back from Croatia which had high thujone content yet all we felt was incredibly pissed.

I just think it's crap.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    haha it tastes shit and makes me heave, it's vile
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Perhaps it is different in America, but it has been around for a long time in Europe, and I'm not sure it is getting cheaper or gaining in popularity, you have always been able to get it... I don't know though, what do other people think?
  • Options
    Collector what is the estimated active dose for thujone?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Its okay, but the hangover is not worth the effects.
  • Options
  • Options
    As far as I can see it would be hard to legally aquire a drink where the alcohol content isn't going to mask the effect of the thujone.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Have you got a job lot you wanna get rid of or something? Or do you work for an absinthe company?
  • Options
    I've never tried absinthe, nor do I want to - I can't stand alcohol, but I've always found it very interesting....
    If an Absinthe has a low thujone concentration, couldn't you just leave the bottle open for a while - letting the alcohol evaporate, but leaving the thujone behind, increasing concentration?
  • Options
    If an Absinthe has a low thujone concentration, couldn't you just leave the bottle open for a while - letting the alcohol evaporate, but leaving the thujone behind, increasing concentration?
    Yeah, you could leave it open for about a year and lose about 3% of your alcohol content.
  • Options
    My friend brought some back from his travels. I drank some last weekend and thought I had been poisoned. The stuff is vile.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Perhaps it is different in America, but it has been around for a long time in Europe, and I'm not sure it is getting cheaper or gaining in popularity, you have always been able to get it... I don't know though, what do other people think?

Well, over here people are just catching on. Slowly, but surely. A year ago, nobody I knew had any idea what the hell absinthe was, myself included. A year later I meet many people that at least know what it is and/or know a friend that has tried it. In fact, a lot of people at least have an idea of what it is in the "hey, you know that green stuff that makes you hallucinate?" sort of way. But yes, it is definately getting cheaper as I have been tracking it RELIGIOUSLY since the day I discovered it. Sites that have been around for a while haven't really lowered their prices much, but the fact is that new sites popping up have decidedly lower prices (we're talking like 50%-60% difference here) so the existing veteran sites will pretty much be forced into it sooner or later.

If you have tried it and didn't like it, that's fine, because you at least gave it a chance, although I still don't understand why the taste would discourage anyone, as there is no such thing as a good tasting alcohol. As an intelligent woman once said to me: "if anyone says they like the taste of alcohol, ANY alcohol, they're either lying or over 60." Those of you heaving I assume forgot to read the label for the alcohol content or were drinking it straight.:D

Oh, and anyone have any names of the absinthes they tried...? Anyone...? No? because they were shit absinthes, right, lol?:lol:

Oh, and kill, if you're looking for an ultra-high concentration of thujone, you can always get Extremé de Absinthe. It comes in a 100 ml bottle with an eyedropper, as you only need about 10 DROPS to get a strong effect (it it 35 mg/thujone per OZ, not litre, if I'm not mistaken!). So even if you didn't the taste of alcohol, you could just add it to like, juice or whatever. I added this to my latest order, as it will be very easy to slip an eyedropper full of this into my waterbottle before work, ha ha!:thumb:
  • Options
    In fact, a lot of people at least have an idea of what it is in the "hey, you know that green stuff that makes you hallucinate?" sort of way.

Does it make you hallucinate though?
    If you have tried it and didn't like it, that's fine, because you at least gave it a chance, although I still don't understand why the taste would discourage anyone, as there is no such thing as a good tasting alcohol. As an intelligent woman once said to me: "if anyone says they like the taste of alcohol, ANY alcohol, they're either lying or over 60." Those of you heaving I assume forgot to read the label for the alcohol content or were drinking it straight.:D

Alcohol doesn't taste nice, but there are plenty of pleasant tasting alcoholic drinks. I don't think Absinthe is one however.
    Oh, and anyone have any names of the absinthes they tried...? Anyone...? No? because they were shit absinthes, right, lol?:lol:

Don't scoff, and don't assume that none of us have tried the real deal. I have tried Absinthe on numerous occaions over the last 10 years or so, some of it pretty crap but at least on once occasion I've had what was supposedly the dog bollocks.

Pusher, how much thujone is an active dose?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Pusher, you are a bit obsessed mate.
  • Options
    He is isnt he!!

Pusher, we have been able to aquire Absinthe for a very long time over here, and all over europe.
    It is not all its cracked up to be, the hallucinogenic effects are almost nothing.

Ive tried alot of them, high thujone, and low thujone. With sugar, without.

Its all much of a muchness, and massively, and i mean massively over rated.

I dont know what rubbish youve been fed over there in the US, but judging by what ive seen when in san francisco, its just another thing for college kids to try and get 'wasted' on. And to be fair, 95% of americans cant handle strong beer, let alone absinthe. its all to do with that ridiculous 21 age limit.

Id wager that you arent getting the effects of thujone you think you are, you are just getting more drunk as the alcohol is high in absinthe.

Try some real polish vodka, the 87% by volume stuff, Forget proof.

You've been sucked in by the Absinthe marketing my friend...
  • Options
    Yep. La Fee Parisian. Haspburg Red and Green. Trenet. Pere Kermanns in Yates'. All the same shit. It's a bit like Tequila. It's alright for getting you wrecked, but it's never going to be a brilliant quality spirit imo.
  • Options
    jayjay620 wrote:
    Try some real polish vodka, the 87% by volume stuff, Forget proof.
    That's shite as well. Unless you're just after getting wrecked, in which case it's just as good as absinthe, and cheaper.