Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

thoughts on the mining industry

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm giving a talk next week about the exploitation of natural resources, and the attempt to minimise damage.
I know its not really a main industry in the UK anymore, but what do you think of mining in general? Is it worth putting all those holes in the ground?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It was, see industrial revolution and the British Empire to understand the impact of utilising those resources.

You might also reference the financial impact, and what has happened to mining towns/area since most pits were closed.

Obviously there is an environmental aspect, but you cannot judge past actions on the basis of what we know now
    The talks all finished... I was just wondering if anyone on the boards had any views on it in general.
    The mining industry has a bad rep, and the big companies are doing their best to shake them off, but a lot of people still have a "not in my back yard" appraoch to it, but still want the benefits... Afterall, what can't be grown is mined. Name something that isnt.
    I can see where people are coming from in not wanting it in their back yard. I can see that without mining we'd be existing at subsitence level and I can't imagine a society without steel, or tin or dozens of other things that are mined.

At the same time I have no desire to have a pit a few hundred yards from my house.
    POT NOODLE. FUEL OF BRITAIN, ISN'T IT.

Cracks me up everytime!
    Mining was a necessary industry at the time.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Mining was good for Britain, without the self suficieny of being able to use our own resources, we'd never have got through WW2.

If we got our supplines cut again, we'd be fucked! But its all cheaper abroad, capitalism, blah blah, exploit poor other countries with unsafe but cheap expendable labour for mining.