Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Buses

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    The greedy cunts are going on strike next week. Apparently a 12% pay increase isn't enough for the filth

Assholes. Not wishing to throw this thread off, but last year, as Christmas Day and Boxing Day were the w/e, there was a bank holiday mon & tues, so the binmen had a 3 day week. The council offered them £400 !!!!!! to work this 3 day week, and the bin men refused and said they wanted £750, thieving fucking wankers ! p.s. they didn't get it. :)
  • Options
    I'm not suprised.....but they do have to work every other bank hol but they get a day in lieu
  • Options
    This is a subject that really gets my goat. Every day i drive to work on a dual carriageway. Unfortunately this duel carriageway moves at literally 5 mph, because one lane is a bus/cycle/taxi lane. Contrary to what that damned sissy greenpeace government may believe, public transport doesn't reduce congestion, it causes it. I know this because I see it everyday. And while all drivers are continually getting ripped off for road tax, why should it be that the majority of people who use public transport and get to glide past the traffic in an empty buslane have never paid a penny of road tax in there life?
    One day, I shall ditch my little Fiesta, get a Golf GTI or a BMW 3 series, a bluetooth earpiece, a yuppy suit and a sales rep job and speed down buslanes at 50 mph giving anybody who dares to flash me the two fingers...!
  • Options
    I disagree with you there, I think bus lanes are important. They do cut congestion, and even more importantly, it means the bus is a competitive alternative.

I pay road tax but get the bus to work. I'm not polluting the environment. So why shouldn't I get home quicker than those who DO pollute the environment in their singly-occupied gas guzzlers?

If you are that upset about it go by bus, or if four of your mates come to work in your car instead of their own congestion is cut by 80%.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I disagree with you there, I think bus lanes are important. They do cut congestion, and even more importantly, it means the bus is a competitive alternative.

I pay road tax but get the bus to work. I'm not polluting the environment. So why shouldn't I get home quicker than those who DO pollute the environment in their singly-occupied gas guzzlers?

If you are that upset about it go by bus, or if four of your mates come to work in your car instead of their own congestion is cut by 80%.

Not from what I see. If cars could use both lanes every morning, then there is no way there would be the daily two mile tailback. On the second bit, yeah I spose most people who work and use busses do pay road tax - I meant old people more than anything else. And I refuse to use a bus for all the reasons you laid out in your original post!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I think Bus/Taxi/whatever lanes would be a good idea - if they were MORE USED.

The sit empty for half the time. And you get fined for going in that empty lane. If there were more busses to justify it, it might be understandable - like in Eastern Europe, where there is TONS of public transport everywhere.

Talking of which, I love going there, because the trams are ace. Britain should have a good tram network. I wish we still did.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I think Bus/Taxi/whatever lanes would be a good idea - if they were MORE USED.

I must admit, I do agree with that argument. I think that's why public transport struggles to be successful in this country - there just isn't enough of it, and as a result it's unreliable and many people don't trust it. In many places, you get 3 buses an hour, even in rush hour and there's hardly room to get on them. Apart from a few cities (Went Manchester once and their trams were excellent) there are no trams which are a great idea, and as for trains - forget it, most train services are laughable. God help us when we host something like the Olympic Games for example. Most foreigners will not believe what the're seeing...!
  • Options
    If the bus drivers did their job properly we'd have a bus every ten minutes, and we live about eight miles out of the city. Not bad, I'd say.

The bus drivers don't do their job, but hey, that's a different argument.

Bus lanes are good, multiple occupancy lanes are good, and congestion is caused by selfish pricks who drive huge cars and only have themselves in it. If you want to be a selfish prick who drives a huge car by yourself then fine, but I don't see why you should be accomodated ahead of those of us who care about the environment and use transport sensibly. As I said, if people took a friend to work congestion would be halved, and if every car was full congestion would be cut by 80%- singly-occupied cars (of which yours is one) create congestion, not bus lanes.

Bus drivers are filth and whilst the buses are better, they are still full of smelly drunks and charvers.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    whilst the buses are better, they are still full of smelly drunks and charvers.
    You remind me of a Mafalda strip:
    Mafalda: It's such a pity that so many poor people exist.
    Suzanita: Yeah.
    M: The government should give food and homes to every poor person.
    S: Why do all that? Hiding them would be enough.
  • Options
    *beam*

I quite agree...
  • Options
    Now I'm sure this has got nothing at all whatsoever to do with the timing of this strike by the workshy cunts Stagecoach employ, but its half-term week in Newcastle next week.

Two long weekends ahoy!

Words really don't do justice to how much I despise the scaggy shits.
  • Options
    3 buses an hour
    That sounds like luxury :heart:. Try ONE an hour, that doesn't turn up on time.

It was 20 minutes late today, the bastards :yeees: .

And I like how it's the day when I DON'T have to be at college at 9, like every other day, that the bus gets in at 20 to like it's supposed to, rather than 5 past, like it has been. Which meant me waiting around in the cold for the sodding Post Office to open :grump: .
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Still, at least to you don't have to wait at Birmingham New Street an hour tommorow night because the whole railway system is so utterly stupid it has reserved me on a later train. I get into Brum at 23.15 and there is a connecting train at 23.37, but NOOOOOOOOOO, I have been reserved on the 00.16.

WHY!!?!?!!?!?!
  • Options
    I don't envy you in the slightest. That's a horrible station!
  • Options
    I don't envy you in the slightest. That's a horrible station!
    I know! Still there might be some stuff to look at, and there is always the joys of Phil Sayer to keep me company.
  • Options
    You don't *have* to wait. I got an earlier train than one I had a reserved seat for before. *shrug*.
  • Options
    Franki wrote:
    You don't *have* to wait. I got an earlier train than one I had a reserved seat for before. *shrug*.
    Well, I'm meant to as its reserved seating, and I dont really wanna argue with a Virgin gripper/ticket checker at 11.45 on a Saturday night.
  • Options
    How annoying - I have to get on the bus with the noisy school kids (who scream at each other instead of talking) on the way to my work placement and the way back.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Still, at least to you don't have to wait at Birmingham New Street an hour tommorow night

You could come round for a cuppa :thumb:
  • Options
    Ooh yes!

(James, bring me back a kitten :D)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    You could come round for a cuppa :thumb:
    Ooer, is that an offer ;);)

I would, but I think I'm gonna risk the earlier train, no doubt I'll be branded a criminal for blatantly fare evasion but fuck it.
  • Options
    (James, bring me back a kitten :D)

MY KITTENS :razz:
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Ooer, is that an offer ;);)

I would, but I think I'm gonna risk the earlier train, no doubt I'll be branded a criminal for blatantly fare evasion but fuck it.
    How is it fare evasion if you've paid for a ticket tbh?
  • Options
    Don't pick on me because I have no kittens :crying:

:razz:
  • Options
    T&Cs of carriage on a cheap advance ticket mean that you must sit in that seat OR ELSE.
  • Options
    Up until a few months ago, this windy horrible 1930's shack was Derby's excuse for a Bus Station. People actually signed a petition to keep it! They must like to smell of piss. Its now been demolished, thank fuck.

derby25.jpg
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    T&Cs of carriage on a cheap advance ticket mean that you must sit in that seat OR ELSE.
    Or they will hunt you down and burn you to death while you sleep at night.

OR WE'LL TAKE YOU TO COURT HAHAHAHA.