Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lost post!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay I sold something on ebay and posted the item on the 20th by recorded post (as I always do, I dont care about the hassle it helps when this happens!) The buyer conjtacted me about the 25th and said that she hadn't receveied it. I phoned the Royal mail customer services and the package has been delivered but no signature was taken, which it should have been. It could however not have been delivered and be sitting in a sorting office to be collected/returned. My item is therefore classed as 'Lost' and I need to put a claim in which I cant do until the 15th October. What else can I do to resolve the situation? I've already offered to refund the buyer the cost through paypal as a goodwill gesture.

Comments

• Options
    thats pretty much all you can do.
  • Options
    How much was the cost of the item you sent ? I think the compensation on recorded, is a maximum of 30 x the postage (not including recorded delivery) you paid.
  • Options
    If it were me, I'd send the buyer proof of postage and let them claim through Royal Mail. I wouldnt offer a refund, it isnt your fault and there are too many people out there trying to screw people over.
  • Options
    the package has been delivered but no signature was taken

Forgot to say, that's totally unacceptable and i would imagine breaches their terms with the contract that they have with you for which you paid. That might be a good little phrase for when you go for compensation :)
  • Options
    Glittery wrote:
    If it were me, I'd send the buyer proof of postage and let them claim through Royal Mail. I wouldnt offer a refund, it isnt your fault and there are too many people out there trying to screw people over.

Only the sender can claim compensation from Royal Mail.

I would only offer a full refund if Royal Mail find the item or show that it was lost, because I wouldn't be surprised to find these people are trying it on. If Royal Mail discover it was delivered then you're screwed, basically.

For now what you could do is put it into PayPal's disputes account, and if the matter is settled with Royal Mail saying it was definitely delivered then you can claim the money back. If Royal Mail lost it you get the money back from them.

Recorded Delivery is just about pointless in any case- the mail gets sent through the same system as standard mail, and has the same chance of going walkies as any other post. If you want security you need to use Special Delivery, as this is sent separately to the main post and is a lot harder for Royal Mail to lose. You also get more guarantees about service.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If you want security you need to use Special Delivery, as this is sent separately to the main post and is a lot harder for Royal Mail to lose. You also get more guarantees about service.

Exactly, if that goes walking you can claim the £500 insurance, which in a lot of cases I keep hoping for.

In fact recorded delivery is more tempting to a dodgy postman because it obviously has some value or interest.