Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jealous of my flatmate?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Doubt this is gonna make sense, and I'll probably delete it later out of sheer embarrasment, but here we go.

I think I'm maybe jealous of my flatmate, and I don't know why. We get on really well, even though he's probably the sort of person I'd never really get on with that well with (bit of an alpha male/sleazy git) but every time we're drunk he says I'm brand new, we never argue or that.

I keep getting these really fucking weird dreams (they sometimes stick in my mind during the day too) that I bring this girl from work back to my flat as my girlfriend, but she spends all her time talking to him and they always go off drinking cider in the park together.

It's fucking silly, because this girl isn't gonna be my girlfriend any time soon because the timings wrong and stuff, but when I think about it then I would be really put off taking a girl back to the flat incase she did find him more interesting or whatever.

I do quite like me, I've learned to be myself, but then sometimes if I really think about it, I do think "Fuck, she's gonna see his car and his money and the fact that he's 30 and just run off with him" whereas I'm just silly wee me.

Told my flatmate about this and he pissed himself laughing.

But like I say, it is something that'd put me off taking somebody back, and I know it's irrational, but it's really beginning to piss me off now.

Any ideas how to fucking sort it out?

Comments

• Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    I do quite like me, I've learned to be myself, but then sometimes if I really think about it, I do think "Fuck, she's gonna see his car and his money and the fact that he's 30 and just run off with him" whereas I'm just silly wee me.
    How's that a factor? The way I see it, he's 30 and yet no-one's snapped him up, so he must have something wrong with him. :p

Just out of interest, do you think it would make any difference what this guy was like? Could he be a complete loser, and you'd still think she'd find him more interesting?
  • Options
    yeah, just because he's an alpha male/entertainer for his peers/big talker, does not mean he is all that interesting for the gals. In fact I think being able to have his mouth shut at times is a whole lot more attractive.

I DO agree tho, that he might be some kind of "danger". Even tho he might not be really interesting, he could easily be one of those spineless lads that backstab their friends for a lady, i.e. starts hitting on her.

But I don't know him and who am I to judge him. I don't think you have to be jealous of him (since it's not even a material thing), in fact this might just be a great friendship as well and you could hear him out and get to know more about him. Just because he has this shiny facade, does not mean he is the winner guy per se.
  • Options
    Just out of interest, do you think it would make any difference what this guy was like? Could he be a complete loser, and you'd still think she'd find him more interesting?

If he was a total loser then I wouldn't care, but I know he's got X, Y and Z going for him and he's probably got more stories than I do, like he's been to more places and has more life experience and stuff?

Strubble - he is a nice enough bloke, and I'm not saying he'd stab me in the back or that, but I've seen him sleazing onto girls about 18/19 when I've been out with him. It's just stuck in my head that if I brought a really nice, pretty young thing home then he'd at least try, y'know?
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Strubble - he is a nice enough bloke, and I'm not saying he'd stab me in the back or that, but I've seen him sleazing onto girls about 18/19 when I've been out with him. It's just stuck in my head that if I brought a really nice, pretty young thing home then he'd at least try, y'know?

totally know what you mean, but actually it seems he is pretty hopeless in getting a partner. It's the ol' the grass is greener thing. He condems the whole yard of x, y and z for a girl, but it seems it isn't working out.

and... he's fricken 30. Just think how much stuff you can do in that time. I am 20 and start travelling around, because I like it. If you think it's cool, because he's going places save up and do so yourself. You can't really compare yourself to some 30 year old, probably career making guy who makes the money and spends it on cool things, like journeys, technical gadgets, cars etc.

I guess it's a "learning by doing" thing. If you got a partner bring her home and see how he's acting. If he hits on her or some shit, be careful don't leave them alone, and at least you know that he's spineless in that department.