Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sore Throat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know if it doesn't go away I should see a doctor, but I'm looking for any tips going to keep it at bay 'til Sunday morning. Having spent the weekend in hospital (unrelated, although on further thought the anaethetic stuff could have upset my throat I guess) my parents are being a little cautious about me going back to uni on Saturday. I am determined to go, apart from anything else they need a break from looking after me!

So, my voice is squeaking a bit and it hurts when I swallow. Suggestions please!

Comments

• Options
    Gargling warm salt water usually works for me, although it takes a while afterwards before it starts to go.
  • Options
    I find honey, lemon and hot water works well and it's tastes quite nice too.
  • Options
    Gargle with fennel tea, it has never failed me :)
  • Options
    Can you tell I'm desperate, I'm going to try all of these tonight. I am slightly bemused that we have fennel tea in the cupboard though!
  • Options
    I have one too :( i'm just enjoying the good old taste of blackcurrant soothers though :D
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    I find honey, lemon and hot water works well and it's tastes quite nice too.

:yes:

Gargal Tee Tree Oil. (this is meant to work, but I've never tried it)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Gargal Tee Tree Oil. (this is meant to work, but I've never tried it)

Yeah, it works for some people. Two or three drops in a glass of (I prefer lukewarm) water. You can also use echinacea extract in the same way, but neither work for me.

Fennel tea is something a lot of people seem to have lying around. I actually do drink it, but a lot of people think it tastes so utterly vile they can only gargle and spit it back up... involuntarily in most cases :razz: