Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Women on the catwalk

This is a thread aimed mostly towards the women of TheSite, mainly because I'm curious to know what opinion on this is.

This story's been around for quite some time, but hasn't been mentioned a great deal. Recently, Madrid Fashion Week announced that it was banning models with a body mass index of less than 18 following pressure from local government. (click here for more) That provoked the question of whether London Fashion Week would do the same. All reports I've seen indicate they won't be.

Now, I've never understood what the appeal is of clothes being modelled on incredibly thin women. They claim that it shows off the clothes, but media attention now seems to suggest more focus is going on their bodies. Of course, there have been signs of a "backlash" against this. Last year, Dove launched a series of campaigns featuring what they called "fuller-figured" women. Sales increased as a result.

What do you reckon? Are models showing a bad example to vulnerable women by having their figures glorified in such a way? Does seeing a particular model wearing a particular item of clothing mean you're more likely to buy it when it hits the shops? Or is there too much of a fuss about this? Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm not a woman, but
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Are models showing a bad example to vulnerable women by having their figures glorified in such a way?
    Yes.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    This is a thread aimed mostly towards the women of TheSite, mainly because I'm curious to know what opinion on this is.

This story's been around for quite some time, but hasn't been mentioned a great deal. Recently, Madrid Fashion Week announced that it was banning models with a body mass index of less than 18 following pressure from local government. (click here for more) That provoked the question of whether London Fashion Week would do the same. All reports I've seen indicate they won't be.

Now, I've never understood what the appeal is of clothes being modelled on incredibly thin women. They claim that it shows off the clothes, but media attention now seems to suggest more focus is going on their bodies. Of course, there have been signs of a "backlash" against this. Last year, Dove launched a series of campaigns featuring what they called "fuller-figured" women. Sales increased as a result.

What do you reckon? Are models showing a bad example to vulnerable women by having their figures glorified in such a way? Does seeing a particular model wearing a particular item of clothing mean you're more likely to buy it when it hits the shops? Or is there too much of a fuss about this? Over to you...

I think it would be wrong to start having bigger sized women models, instead of the slim women, because naturally slim women (and yes they do exist!) may start to want to be like the Bigger models, and what if they force feed theirselves and end up obese? As stupid as it may sound, that will inevitably happen, As there are always Lemmings waiting to jump off a cliff!

So... How about, Having models of all shapes and sizes, All aiming at their own market, it would make life so much more easier for everyone!
    stargalaxy wrote:
    This story's been around for quite some time, but hasn't been mentioned a great deal. Recently, Madrid Fashion Week announced that it was banning models with a body mass index of less than 18 following pressure from local government.

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=105427
    My apologies. I was away for ten days and obviously missed that one.