Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

GCSE English Resit Question

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
When I was in Year 11, I was meant to do English Language and Lit, but only took Language because Lit was after school and on the days Lit was on, I was doing GNVQ ICT.

Anyway, in Year 11, I got a D for English and got a D again last year (slightly higher D second time around though) and need to do resit and aim for a C.

So anyway, I spoke to the teacher who was doing it and I explained that when the resit classes were on, I was doing other stuff, but could do the work on a FRiday morning instead of Key Skills. I spoke to her today (as I could go to her lesson today) and she said that we were studying Of Mice & Men. I told her that we didn't study that for Language and she said that she'd talk to one of the teachers about this.

I saw her third lesson and she said that we were studying Lit as well. So, my question is, why on earth am I doing Lit & language even though I didn't study it at GCSE? The teacher (who is a supply and we'll have the other teacher back after October Half-Term) said that she knew that me and quite a few other people were in this situation.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sofie wrote:
    When I was in Year 11, I was meant to do English Language and Lit, but only took Language because Lit was after school and on the days Lit was on, I was doing GNVQ ICT.

Anyway, in Year 11, I got a D for English and got a D again last year (slightly higher D second time around though) and need to do resit and aim for a C.

So anyway, I spoke to the teacher who was doing it and I explained that when the resit classes were on, I was doing other stuff, but could do the work on a FRiday morning instead of Key Skills. I spoke to her today (as I could go to her lesson today) and she said that we were studying Of Mice & Men. I told her that we didn't study that for Language and she said that she'd talk to one of the teachers about this.

I saw her third lesson and she said that we were studying Lit as well. So, my question is, why on earth am I doing Lit & language even though I didn't study it at GCSE? The teacher (who is a supply and we'll have the other teacher back after October Half-Term) said that she knew that me and quite a few other people were in this situation.

I'm lost - I'm guessing the question is why are you sitting both? Do you not want to do the literature GCSE at all, or are they classing it as a resit for something ou havent done?

P.S Of Mice and Men is pretty good for GCSE, it has a lot of themes, stereotypes and major and minor storylines you can pick up and elaborate on easily.
  • Options
    Sorry, the question was, why am I sitting both. I'm resitting something I've never done, which makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    I'm still confused. Are you currently studying for Eng Lit/Lang or Eng Lit and Eng Lang? As long they are covering the information in your classes it shouldn't really matter if it's slightly different anyway
  • Options
    Ah I think I get you. Do you not want to do English Literature then? Tbh, if they're offering it you anyway, we tied in most of our literature and language work together, it's an extra GCSE towards your future.

If you really don't want to do it, I'd continue to talk to your current teacher, of a personal tutor and/or Head of year. Or Head of English department.
  • Options
    I'm studying both, but don't understand why I am because I only studied Language last year & the year before. (in year 10 it was both, but the exam board was different)
  • Options
    don't you need both at gcse?

the way your school did it seems daft, we did it as a combined subject (3 lessons a week)
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

the way your school did it seems daft, we did it as a combined subject (3 lessons a week)

Same, except we had 4 days a week (Our school was pathetic over timetabling though)

You don't need both at GCSE though. Some people dropped Literature to concentrate on revising for Language. :yes: Although, ours is two seperate ones, if it was a combined course then obviously you'd have to do both.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

Doubt it. For Year 11, they only picked the people who were likely to get a C for language.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Doubt it. For Year 11, they only picked the people who were likely to get a C for language.

You sure? Language is compulsory (AFAIK and have been told) Literature isnt.
  • Options
    Sorry, I didn't explain it that well:
    If we were predicted a C for English Language, then we were chosen to do Literature as well. I don't think many people (including me) actually did it though because it was after school and we didn't really have a say in the matter.
  • Options
    Ah get you now sorry. I think they did a similar thing with us (I was on the higher paper so don't really know because I had to get a C or fail.) but I think foundation tiers got the option.
  • Options
    we HAD to do both

i thought every1 did
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    but I think foundation tiers got the option.

Only if we were predicted a C.
  • Options
    so what books are you doing in your lit course? If they're ones I did then I'll have good notes on them- just put my ole school work up in the attic yesterday actually so I know exactly where they are too. lol
  • Options
    Of Mice & Men. I don't know what others I'm meant to be studying - but that's all I've been given so far by the teacher. (I can't attend the lessons, so I've just been given the work)