Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

bringing friends on dates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, met a cute girl at a party recently, got her number, texted a bit, asked her for a drink, so it's all good, we're meeting up next Monday.
But... she's probably going to bring some friends along. So I'm wondering whether I should be put off by this. I understand that some girls like to bring a friend on first dates for safety, comfort etc in which case no prob (although we share some friends, so it's not like she needs to worry about me being an axe-murderer), but might it also be a tactic because she's not really interested? Partly concerned also because I'm generally better in one-to-one situations than in a group of people if I don't know them that well. What do you think?

(Obviously the answer is wait and see how the date goes, and of course nobody here can possibly know what her reasons are, but just thought I'd check out people's opinions on friends tagging along...)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    She seems like she just wants to take out some insurance. Not just for safety (but that's always a concern) but just simply in case its a disaster and you don't have anything to talk about.

It's also possible she doesn't see it as a traditional date, but who knows.

I'd go along anyway, I don't think its that odd if you've just got her number.
    I took a girl out once... and one of her friends just "happened" to turn up at the same place to meet her bf, and her bf just "happened" to blow her out last min, so she sat with us... :yeees:

It was quite funny though as I actually got on better with her mate and ended up speaking to her more! Funny enough I didnt see the other one again!

Like Kermit says its probably just insurence. Just go along and see how it goes mate!
    Why don't you bring some of your mates along, too? Make a night of it, if you're all mutual friends :)

It sounds as if maybe she's still feeling a little shy and nervous about the prospect of a one-on-one date with you, or isn't sure if she likes you "in that way" yet and doesn't want to put herself in any awkward situations. She knows you're not an axe-murderer (or at least hopes not) but that doesn't stop those wary, anxious feelings. So maybe spending a little more time together socially wouldn't be a bad thing; I know you say you feel you'd be better off one on one but obviously she doesn't feel the same at the moment. Just go, see what happens and take the opportunity to have a chat and whatnot... then maybe she'll be up for a "proper" date the next time.
    yeah you could bring some people along too? it could be that she doesnt know how she feels about you yet and wants to get to know you better and thinks going out as a group could be the best way to do this without it seeming like a date. Ive been tempted to that before just for insurance, as i have been nervous - not becausei dont like the guy, but never actually have.
    She just takes her as chaparone... or smth

There is nothing to be afraid for, just rather let her have your attention. Just never be rude to her friend, or make jokes on her expense. You should try to avoid prolonged convo with her friend tho, where she can't participate.

Really nothing to worry about.