Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

got this advert with a newspaper today.. true?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.no2id.net/resources/images/BlairBarcode.jpg

i think it sums up the governments intentions with them (no not mass murder of jews gays and non-sympathisers, but to get more control)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it is a bit stupid really. I very much agree that we should not have id cards but i think comparing Blair to Hitler is going to reduce the level of debate and devalue their arguments for many people.........
    If anything things like that damage the civil liberties arguments, because plenty of people might be against ID cards if you argue it on merits, but simply do not think that ID cards are going to lead to another Hitler. and because of hyperbole they think the 'No to ID' are bunch of lunatics and don't bother to listen to their perfectly good arguments.
    The mass murder of non-sympathisers of New Labour... that's pretty much the whole of the boards on the culling list, then. :p

Seriously though, I do have slight doubts about this picture. Nobody detests Tony Blair more than I do. Nobody deplores his lack of ideas and his vanity than me. But trying to compare him to Adolf Hitler seems extreme, and a tad distasteful.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Toadborg wrote:
    I think it is a bit stupid really. I very much agree that we should not have id cards but i think comparing Blair to Hitler is going to reduce the level of debate and devalue their arguments for many people.........

Like myself.

It's a fucking stupid idea to be frank. That makes them seem like over-reacting twats.

I don't mind the idea of ID cards. However, the state should provide them for us for free, like many other things. However, I am going to refuse to pay for one myself. I hope others follow this idea, as if it is compulsory - it should not cost us money!
    thing is though, there is no debate over ID cards, its being treated in the media as if its a dead cert end result
    thing is though, there is no debate over ID cards, its being treated in the media as if its a dead cert end result
    Eh? What newspapers do you read to come to such a conclusion? Most media seems to be very critical of the idea to me.
    ID cards seem like a bad idea. But drawing comparisons to Hitler? Give me a break.

They use that Hitler comparison all the damn time over here. The Conservatives compared Saddam with Hitler, the liberals compare Bush to Hitler, game hunters compare Parks and Rec officials to the Gestapo, the Anarchists compare every government official ever to Hitler, the anti-factory farm people compare the factory farms to death camps, the pharmaceutical companies compare the ALF to the SS. Frankly, the comparisons are not only stupid and encourage apathy, but they're also somewhat insulting. I'm not sure what type of idiot it takes to sit down and say "hey, what is happening is a bad thing. How can we draw attention to our cause? ...I know, lets draw really stupid comparisons to the Holocaust! Yeah, that'll work great! Because lord knows it hasn't been done 1,000 times so far this year by hundreds of different political groups!" but I'd really like to give him a swift kick in the sack.

What bits of the media do you read? - because when there's news on it its often discussed. at the moment there's no news coming out on them so they're not being discussed.
    See, nazi jibes aside the ad is right, even if those behind it are unaware. ID cards have worked very well in Europe before. In fact they are a bliss: no more carrying countless forms of identification, bank statements and utility bills when opening accounts or joining the bloody gym; no worries about passports when travelling to other European countries; no arguments or hassle when buying booze or going into nightclubs for those lucky enough to look young...

The problem with ID cards for this country is that: a) this is Tony Blair's Labour in power, which cannot be trusted not to abuse its power, and b) current technology does allow for tracking, spying and recording scores of information. But on another era, with another government and with the old style photocards, I'd say fuck yeah! to ID cards.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I don't mind the idea of ID cards. However, the state should provide them for us for free, like many other things. However, I am going to refuse to pay for one myself. I hope others follow this idea, as if it is compulsory - it should not cost us money!

Yes, the government can just produce them for free.

Where do you think it gets its money from exactly?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    budda wrote:
    Yes, the government can just produce them for free.

Where do you think it gets its money from exactly?

I didn't say produce them for free. I said provide.

So you think it is absolutley fine for them to say "Buy this off us, for £90, or we arrest you" ? You don't see anthing wrong with that?

Where do you propose the poor get £90 from? Students at Uni barley making it by?

Fucking hell, we pay enough tax already. As one of, if not the most taxed country in the world, surley it couldn't hurt the tresury THAT much. If they can afford a war, they can afford this.
    You said you didnt want to pay for it, surely thats the same as wanting it free. But anyway thats not really the point.

The point is they wont be free, they will be hugely expensive, the government will bugger up the computer project, it wont work, it will go hugely over budget and it wont reduce crime or terrorism.
    budda wrote:
    You said you didnt want to pay for it, surely thats the same as wanting it free. But anyway thats not really the point.

The point is they wont be free, they will be hugely expensive, the government will bugger up the computer project, it wont work, it will go hugely over budget and it wont reduce crime or terrorism.
    :yes: Labour's Poll Tax
    Supposedly Brown will have quietly scuppered the whole thing by the next election as its cost is totally unfeasible and he knows it will be absurdly unpopular with the electorate. It will also be a kick in the teeth for the Blairites (particularly Clarke and Reid) who have been associated with the scheme......
    All hail Brown then! :yes:
    Trouble is policy wise Brown is a Blairite. Unlike the Tories the main differences in Labour aren't policy, but personal. He may scupper it becuase its unworkable, but not to kick Blair in the teeth.

If you want to get rid of the chance of ID cards best vote Tory :thumb:
    NQA wrote:
    If you want to get rid of the chance of ID cards best vote Tory :thumb:

Not that voting really makes any difference unless you live in a marginal.
    I'm a dago and not allowed to vote in the General Election anyway.
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm a dago and not allowed to vote in the General Election anyway.

And a good job too. Now if only we could disqualify the rest of the lefties and trots :D
    I thought Trots didn't bother voting in the first place ;)