Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

'Reckless mistake' blamed for Northwick Park drug trial case

A "reckless" mistake caused the adverse drug trial reactions at Northwick Park, according to a Channel 4 investigation.
Documents obtained by the programme Dispatches revealed drug TGN1412 was administered 15 times more quickly than it had been in animal safety studies.

Six men were left seriously ill after receiving given the drug.

But the UK medicines regulator said the speed of administration was not to blame, and other experts said it was probably not the only causative factor.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5377226.stm

Interesting... if true (though I don't know how it can be proven either way) it will strengthen the case for the six men to receive adequate compensation.

Meanwhile the company that made the drug has declared itself insolvent. What an amazing coincidence....

There were ads in the press yesterday advertising the Dispatches programme. The pictures in them showed the hands and feet of some of the affected men. I can't even begin to describe what they looked like...

Any thoughts from those who claimed at the time the affected men were trying to 'cash in' on the poor oppressed drug trial company?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    man that's harsh, i imagine the guy who lost his hands and feet will get compensated........i thought about doing clinical trials when i was a student as a way to get some easy money, boy i'm glad i found another way.
    It does seem common sense but why werent the doses staggered? Why give them all the dose at the same time?

And also, whats the harm (other than a few more hours in the hospital) in giving them a microgram dose at first, just to check for any thing unforeseen?
    But who's fault is that, the company or the doctor who administered it?